• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to talk like a dwarf.

edemaitre

Explorer
Talking like a Dwarf

What I meant by "Tolkienesque" is that the names and cultures of certain races in my D&D3.5 homebrew campaign setting resemble those used in the Middle Earth books. As for talking like a "Star Trek" Ferengi, imagine a 3-foot-tall Goblin with snaggle teeth, large ears, and a bad attitude mixing obsequiousness and barely concealed hatred.

I tend to tie each demihuman type to the folklore they came from, hence Elves=Celtic, Dwarves=Norse, and Gnomes=Central European, but I also have human nations similar to each of those, so I've tweaked them a bit. Thus, my Viking-style humans get along well with their Slavic Dwarven neighbors. Similarly, the Anglo-Saxon-style humans have some affinity for their Celtic Elven neighbors...

As for writing Dwarven sentences, I'd make them direct, harsh, and strong. While an Elf might say, "Greetings, friends. It is pleasant indeed to find you under our fair glade," a Dwarf would grumble, "Hail, stranger. What business do you have in Rockburg?"

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Scottish has a more English-friendly appearance then German. When Vern's Journey to the Center of the Earth was made in the (bad) movie with the duck named Gertrude, the country of origin of the main characters was changed from German to Scotland and the Professor Lidenbrock was renamed Lindenbrook. There are other examples of similar scottishafaction of german persons.

edemaitre said:
I tend to tie each demihuman type to the folklore they came from, hence Elves=Celtic, Dwarves=Norse, and Gnomes=Central European, but I also have human nations similar to each of those, so I've tweaked them a bit. Thus, my Viking-style humans get along well with their Slavic Dwarven neighbors. Similarly, the Anglo-Saxon-style humans have some affinity for their Celtic Elven neighbors...
Well, no offense, but elves and dwarves are Germanic, not Celtic or specifically Norse. The word gnome is originally a Latin word, but it's germanic too.

And I mean Germanic in the broader sense. Not German. The Anglo-Saxons were Germanic too.

pbd

First Post
I'm currently playing a Dwarven Warblade named Zeke (short for Ezekiel Ragnar). His accent (depending on how much I'm doing it at the time) would best be described as gravely southerner.

He generally introduces himself with a bassy, "Some's what calls me Zeke"

I just thought it would be fun.

I think this thread has made me decide that the next time I DM someone who plays their dwarf to talk like Mike Myers doing a Scottish accent, they're gonna be looking at an XP penalty or something. Or maybe just all the monsters will attack them all the time ignoring everyone else.

Remove ads