D&D 5E How to Use "Charm Person" Without Getting Caught

MGibster

Legend
I had a PC who wanted to cast Charm Person on the king. I'm like, okay, let's think this through. In the same room as the king, we've got the archwizard of the university, the dean of the socerer/bard college, the head of the druid circle, and a bishop from the cathedral, all of whom are familiar with magic. Charm Person has both verbal and somatic components so if you cast it someone is going to notice it. You can make a Deception roll to cast the spell without anyone noticing you if you'd like. The PC decided against charming the king.

In my opinion, the victim of a Charm Person spell should make a Wisdom check to be able to realize immediately what happened. They will get it eventually, but perhaps not right away. Without that, Charm Person is just a "Make NPC Angry" spell.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I like to combine 'friends' or 'charm person' with 'disguise self' or use of a disguise kit. Target will get angry, but at a non-existent persona.
That all depends on the DM. They could rule that you charm the target, not the non-existent person, and therefore you don't gain the benefits while disguised.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Is this for 5e? If so all of these suggestions are for naught. The victim knows who cast the spell on him.
Yeah, that was my thought as well. 5e charm person is, as others have said, pretty much worthless without the DM overtly contradicting the rules text or introducing a house-rule like the above "Wis save to realize what happened now instead of in two days" or the like.

Oofta

Legend
The spell specifically states "When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you."

So it's up to the DM. Do they have to recognize you so it's okay as long as you were disguised somehow? The spell doesn't say that, even if it might be a reasonable assumption. But most methods of disguise don't change your voice, so that would be a limitation. It would also be reasonable to rule that the target magically recognizes the caster.

In other words, a lot depends on your DM. I tend to limit usefulness to targets you aren't going to see after the spell expires, in my campaign using magic to influence others, while not outright forbidden, is dangerous.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Stand outside the door, maybe so you can peer through the crack, and cast.

Also, shouldn't all those people have to do Identify checks to know what you're casting? :)

I have also done the excuse yourself to the restroom and find a place outside their eyeline/hearing to cast.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
One idea might be careful how you use it. Mark of Hospitality halflings in Eberron get Friends as a cantrip. Even though the spell states that the target becomes hostile when it ends, Keith Baker has stated House Ghallandra halflings don't use it to do anything bad to you. They turn on the charm, and when it ends, what do you have to be mad at them about? For making you feel better? So despite what a spell says, maybe consider what actions you take while they are under the spell.

Remove ads