D&D 5E How to Use "Charm Person" Without Getting Caught

MGibster

Legend
I wonder why charm person is considered useless if the target know it is charm after the spell.
you don’t use charm person to make friend and trusted relation! You use it to have access to information, privilege, some location, and in any cases you put yourself at risk, and using charm person again can be your best tool later on.
I'm with you on this one. In 5E, Charm Person is just a magical con you use on people you don't expect to build long term relationships with.

Oofta

Legend
I believe the OP is asking about how to use Charm Person with witnesses present, not how to avoid the largely unavoidable consequences of the target knowing they were charmed when the spell ends. The only way I know around the former part is the metamagic subtle spell (Note that even the oft quoted example of Obi-wan's "These are not the droids you're looking for" does not have verbal component in this context: he doesn't chant an incantation before influencing the storm trooper). The only way around the later issue is be out of reach when the spell wares off, or just wait until you can cast Suggestion, which doesn't have that particular down side.

Just because the spell doesn't have the same verbiage as charm person doesn't mean there's not a good chance the target of suggestion won't know they were magically manipulated. Depends on the suggestion of course but once that NPC gives their horse to a beggar the spell ends and they're going to wonder why the heck they did that. Well, and depending on the NPC, murder the beggar and take their horse back of course.

While the suggestion has to be reasonable, there's no indication that the target will not know it was not really their idea. I can't think of anything much more invasive. YMMV of course.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I'm about to embark upon a campaign as an enchantment-centric character, and this "charm person" business is very much on my mind. Thanks to vocal and somatic components, it seems to me like it's virtually impossible to charm someone if there are witnesses. Is there a smart way to use mind-control magic subtly, or is it all about picking moments when no one is watching?

Comic for illustrative purposes.
My suggestion would be to use subtle spell, and get Actor as soon as possible. Constantly switch identities to avoid the ire of your targets.

MGibster

Legend
Is anyone seriously upset at the inclusion of hags in the campaign or is this an elaborate piece of performance art I just don’t get!

Gadget

Adventurer
Just because the spell doesn't have the same verbiage as charm person doesn't mean there's not a good chance the target of suggestion won't know they were magically manipulated. Depends on the suggestion of course but once that NPC gives their horse to a beggar the spell ends and they're going to wonder why the heck they did that. Well, and depending on the NPC, murder the beggar and take their horse back of course.

While the suggestion has to be reasonable, there's no indication that the target will not know it was not really their idea. I can't think of anything much more invasive. YMMV of course.
Well, the text of Fireball doesn't say that the targets don't get damage from smoke inhalation either, but I suppose it could be ruled that way. I guess it depends how subtle the suggestion is, and what it leads to in the end, but its not a sure thing like charm person.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
House Rule:

If they fail the initial save, they are charmed, make the same save when the duration expires.

If they fail the second, they dont "know" they were charmed, and rationalize their actions.

Pass the second, and they know and might get angry.

Shiroiken

Legend
It has a range of 30 ft, and it can easily be while the target is distracted. Have your uncharismatic friend speak with them while you cast, then "rescue" them from the boorish oaf.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Re: being upset (or not) over a wizard fireballing the party
Assuming the players are fine with it, this all depends on how the players want to run with it.

It can range from "yeah, my dude's fine with it. Magical healing and all that jazz" to an over dramatic "do it! Fireball them now, while I have them distracted! I can take it!"

Heck, you can even say "oh yeah, we've practiced enough together, this is normal" and just kind of narratively ignore the HP damage (not actually ignore, just not address it in the narrative).

The important part is "if the players are fine with it" though. If you don't have buy-in from the player you're about to friendly fire, then you shouldn't be surprised if the player and/or PC is mad at you. If you've got buy-in, you can explain it all sorts of ways.

Remove ads