How to use "True Names" in roleplaying

Aeris Winterood

First Post
AngelTears said:
Not to drag religion in, but I was doing research into angels and I came across this:

And when thy Lord said unto the angels, ‘I am about to place a vicegerent in the earth,’ they said, ‘Wilt Thou place therein one who will do evil therein and shed blood? we celebrate Thy praise and hallow Thee.’ Said (the Lord), ‘I know what ye know not.’ And He taught Adam the names, all of them; then He propounded them to the angels and said, ‘Declare to me the names of these, if ye are truthful.’ They said, ‘Glory be to Thee! no knowledge is ours but what Thou thyself hast taught us, verily, Thou art the knowing, the wise.’ Said the Lord, ‘O Adam declare to them their names;‘ and when he had declared to them their names He said, ‘Did I not say to you, I know the secrets of the heavens and of the earth, and I know what ye show and what ye were hiding?’ And when we said to the angels, ‘Adore Adam,’ they adored him save only Iblis, who refused and was too proud and became one of the misbelievers

(The Qur'an (E.H. Palmer tr), Sura 2 - The Heifer)

True names would then seem to be a bit older then what might be expected. I suspect there is a similar passage (or was) in the Bible.

Just an interesting point ;)

-Angel Tears

Whoah! That was awesome to read. Hmmm, if you find anymore please post ehre or eamil me. Very interesting. Does that mean all beings have rue names then?

Terraism

Explorer
Matt Black said:
As for the creature having a powerful magical defense - true, there's no metamagic feat to help overcome spell resistance (perhaps there should be). Maybe grant simple +2 to the caster's spell resistance roll per bonus metamagic level assigned to overcoming that resistance.
I may be misunderstanding it, but... isn't that essential what Highten Spell does?

Anyway, to contribute something ON topic, this is definitely some great stuff. I think MonkeyBoy's ideas are my favorites so far, mainly because I like the idea of things working differently depending on the creature... :)

Sidran

First Post
I seem to remember reading a short story set in Earthsea about a girl "Dragonfly" I believe who recieved her true name from a Witch woman, an adept like woman who had a gift for hearing the unspoken true name of a person.

So that could be turned into a feat, or a class ability for some PrC.

Though the feat seems easier.

Sense True Name

Through the currents of time, nature, and magic you have the gift to listen for the True name of every being, plant, or entity that surrounds you.

Prerequisites Wis 15+, must be able to cast first level divination spells.

Benefits: You are able to sense the true name of beings, plants, or entities that come within a 60ft radius. Naming a true name is a powerful thing, and characters with this feat feel obligated to enlighten a being of its true name, but to not overstep, or abuse the gift that the currents of the magical world have given them.

IN earthsea a true name meant complete control of the being whose name you called. The only thing that did not have a name incidently was a fiend that came out of a powerful spell ( that failed)

Though in D&D I would never ever let my players call the True name of a dragon and have that work like that,

If you want it that way make the Calling of a True Name function like a Greater Charm Person, or Monster with no save. This charm works only until the Caller has released the name of the being back to itself.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Terraism said:
I may be misunderstanding it, but... isn't that essential what Heighten Spell does?

Not at all. Heighten Spell raises the level of the spell, affecting DC's primarily. EG DC of 3rd level fireball is 13+int, if the fireball is heightened to 5th level it becomes 15+int. Obviously using a wizard for my example.

Spell Resistance is overcome by rolling a caster check (D20+caster level) which is different. Same example: 7th level mage with heighten spell. 3rd level fireball - roll to beat spell resistance is d20+7. Fireball heightened to 5th level - roll to beat spell resistance is still d20+7.

Sorry for the pedantic rules discussion, but I figured that was the clearest way of explaining it. If I'm wrong (and I might be, I'm doing this from memory) then you can beat me with a stick.

Aeris Winterood

First Post
True Name...

Lets see about rules....

Invoking a True Name is a full round action which the following actions occur:

1. Target makes Will save DC:20+ level of Invoker or be stunned for 1d4 rnds. Target recieves a -4 penalty to AC even if save is made.

2. The invoker of the true name ignores any damage resistance of target (if applicable), spell resistance of target is reduced by half (if applicable), invoker gains +4 to DC of any spells cast against target.

All of the previous powers last for 1d4+2 rounds

Tell me what you think????

Last edited:

Remove ads