D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Buggy.

After taking a bit of time to deal with life, the GM of the D&D game I play in decided to run a session last night. We used Roll20 for both our videoconferencing and the battlemap, and it worked out just fine.

We fought some ankhegs - the bugs in question, in a fight that did somewhat more damage to us than previously. The GM hasn't been running games for a while. and he tends to softball a little bit, but he may be getting a better feel for it now.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Very good session last Saturday. My three players made characters in record time. A crime themed D&D campaign. Set in Eberron played like Shadowrun/GTA V. Players had a blast. I did too.

Nebulous

Legend
Running Forge of Fury in Roll20. PCs were forced to retreat after a giant bugbear and dire wolves and orc reinforcements surged into the tunnel. One player is down, another is close to down, and a pet companion is outright slain.

Reynard

Legend
Well, this happened to the party dwarf on level 17 of Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Critical Hit Brain Extraction. 116 damage.
illithid.jpg

My husband got talked into playing with us again, so he wove a whole story to explain his absence. Now I have to figure out how to sow rumors of a certain scepter and come up with places for a creepy fence to show up in different cities we go to.

On the plus side, though, he actually came up with a decent story.

Tallifer

Hero
The murderously vagrant party in my campaign stepped on the turf of another group of homicidal thieves and had a rumble in a back alley. Simple fun for everyone this week with moments of tense danger.

Had my 8th session with a group of D&D noobs. It was via Google Hangouts because, you know, end of the world. Characters are 3rd level. We're playing through Dragon of Icespire Peak, which I've heavily modified to suit my tastes as well as tie the plot and themes more tightly into the characters.

The goal of this session's adventure, Dwarven Excavation, is for the characters to warn a group of dwarven prospectors about the titular white dragon. In the adventure as written, the prospectors have unwittingly unearthed a temple to Abbathor, the dwarven god of greed. I've turned this seed into a major subplot, with a secret cult of Abbathor in Phandalin undermining the player characters. The characters are just now starting to get the sense that something fishy is going on.

The characters arrive at the site of the excavated temple. I placed three dwarves there--Astrid, Sandor, and Gundren--and asked the dwarven tempest cleric to pick two of them. He would have a positive relationship with one, and a negative relationship with the second. The cleric said he was childhood friends with Astrid and that Sandor had always been jealous of their relationship. Astrid and Sandor claim that during their excavation they uncovered a secret room filled with severed hands. The severed, undead hands swarmed them and carried Gundren away. Astrid and Sandor fled the temple and have been afraid to enter again.

The half-orc vengeance paladin is turning out to be more than a little bit mercenary. He demands to know what they'll get in return for rescuing Gundren. Sandor claims the temple is rumored to hold a valuable stone. "Enough to set you up for life." In return for the stone, the party agrees to enter the temple. Tough crowd!

The characters enter the temple. Eventually, they find an altar. Gundren's body lays atop the altar. His right hand is severed. A massive rune-covered greataxe is buried in his chest. The area surrounding the altar is unnaturally dark.

Rather than get closer, the characters exit the temple and confront Astrid and Sandor. Something about their story seems suspicious. The dragonborn sorcerer tries to detect thoughts on Sandor but Sandor succeeds on multiple saving throws. Eventually, a fight breaks out. Astrid calls out to Abbathor for aid. The characters were right! Spirit guardians surround Astrid, but the paladin drops her with a single smite. Before they can take down Sandor, a swarm of crawling claws emerge from the temple, followed by two ravenous ghouls in the rotted vestments of Abbathor's clergy.

And on that cliffhanger we ended our 2 hour session.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases