• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How will superior implements work?

Felon

First Post
Has there been any news of how superior implements--which were supposed to be in AV2 but were pushed back to PHB3--will work?

I tend to doubt that they'll just upscale damage dice (e.g. d8's become d10's) since that will be viewed as too complicated by 4e standards. Perhaps they'll have properties like brutal of high crit, but no extra damage?

Rumors? Speculation? Innuendo?

Rothe_

First Post
I am sad if it gives a bonus to hit. It makes them essential to take, which narrows down the feat selections.

I would be more happy if it added some cool effect once per encounter or somesuch.

Felon

First Post
I am sad if it gives a bonus to hit. It makes them essential to take, which narrows down the feat selections.

I would be more happy if it added some cool effect once per encounter or somesuch.
Do you play any implement users? Notice how they roll d6's and d8's while the weapon users have ready access to d10's and d12's thorugh the use of superior weapons? That discrepency is what superior implements are supposed to fix, and they should be about as essential as a superior weapon is to a martial character.

So, them adding some once-per-encounter effect would be inherently uncool.

Thanee

First Post
But the damage comes from the powers, whereas weapon powers only list [W]. The design is quite different.

Some properties, that influence damage, are surely possible, though.

Bye
Thanee

Mentat55

First Post
I was thinking increased damage, or situational bonuses for specific types of powers, like extra ongoing damage on fire powers, or applying a penalty to hit with acid powers, etc.

I think properties like brutal and high crit are good possibilities that port over well from weapons.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
how about things which ...umm increase area of effect or durations or number of targets?
maybe only on a critical hit or some situational.. like the target is bloodied ... shrug.
Duplicating things done by weapons seems to me the least interesting possibilities.

Remove ads