D&D (2024) How will the 5.5e Core Book & in general deal with MtG settings?

The Magic The Gathering settings belong to D&D like any other setting, including Eberron and Ravenloft, and homebrew.

Indeed, for the sake of homebrew, I want the core rules to be a setting agnostic as possible.

Ideally, the Forgotten Realms setting becomes a core rulebook that is separate from the Players Handbook.

The Players Handbook can have the Human race only, with a note that the DM can include one or more other races as well. The only default setting is popular notions of "medievalesque" and magic exists.

Then the Forgotten Realms Guide has a freedom to detail the beloved D&D races like Elf, Tiefling, and Dragonborn, in ways appropriate within the narrative context of Forgotten Realms and the multiverse that is peculariar to it.

What happens in Forgotten Realms, stays in Forgotten Realms. Unless a DM wants to import something from there into a separate setting. Samething for what happens in a Magic the Gathering setting.
Love the idea, but don’t think it will happen. I would like to take it even further and have certain rules / mechanics tied, at least initially, to certain settings.

I could make the core books smaller and provide modularity through setting books.

Vael

Legend
I have been thinking if there's a way to make a grand unified multiversal cosmology that allows Spelljamming, Planescape and an MTG Planeswalking campaigns. Because there was a period post Mending that only Planeswalkers could travel between the planes. That has changed recently, but I kinda wonder if the Blind Eternities will be added to DnD.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Someone here on ENworld drew an image with how the dnd and mtg planes could interact, it was a pretty cool concept. Can't remember who did ut though or what the thread was called.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Mostly just mentions here and there, and art such as Bramble Sovereign full art for Dryads in the MM, BUT I could see some monsters that fit both D&D & MtG settings like Theros style Nymphs, Ravnican Angels (Ravnican style Angels would actually fit important gaps in D&D Angel line up), ending up in the MM, with the MtG influences intact. This has already happened in Candlekeep Mysteries with the Naiad when has MtG influences beyond mythogical or D&D influences built into her mechanics.
What aspects of the Naiad suggest MTG to you?

What aspects of the Naiad suggest MTG to you?

The flying spell is the biggest thing, there is a Naiad card called Nimbus Naiad with flying and an ability called bestow where if you cast it for it's bestow cost, it's an aura instead of a creature that you put on another creature and that creature gets +2/+2 and FLYING. Clearly giving the card the flying spell simulates this in D&D terms.

This is not normally a spell a water nymph would have. There are also lesser, minor details as well, but I don't have the stat block with me right now, but the fly spell is the biggest.

Yaarel

He Mage
The Great Wheel/D&D multiverse is a cluster of planes like Alara off in some remote corner of Dominia.

Far Realm = Blind Eternities
I view the Farrealms as one of the astral dominions.

I view both Magic The Gathering and the Forgotten Realms planes as occupying different locations within the infinite astral sea.

Remove ads