• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How will you read the core books day one?

Hawke

Explorer
Will you tear them all open and skim each one for the outstanding questions and relevant rules to your campaign, moving from book to book and repeating?

Will you begin with the PHB cover to cover, then move onto the DMG and MM?

Will you jump around in the PHB trying to create a class you had in mind?

Will you start with the DMG to answer questions about traps, parcels, etc?

How will you do it!

---
As much as I want to read the phb cover to cover first, I wont be able to. I'll probably skim the basics/combat and spend most of my time flipping around the class information and checking out some higher level powers intermixed with DMG referencing of things I can't wait. I hope to have both DMG and PHB cover to cover before I start my 4E game and will probably not read the MM that way but will grab what I need.

I'll probably be hopping between them as I pick out the things I want to get my hands on first, then end up reading PHB and DMG cover to cover later on. MM just skimming for ideas, though. At least until I got the rest done and over with.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
PHB cover to cover, I need to know the new play rules~!
Then DMG cover to cover so I know the DM rules
Then randomly jump around in the MM while I make my adventures!

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Probably go like this:

-Hands PHB to players.
-Reads front to back DMG.
-Looks at MM Appendix.
-Gives DMG and MM to players..
-Reads PHB.
-Them make characters.
-I make adventure.
-We play!

frankthedm

First Post
MM first. Flip around, look at the monsters with the cooleest art first, then the ones i am curious about. Read a few more, then ignore the monsters who have crappy art. Thats how I have read D&D books since i was 11 years old.

wHile I do this I will alsso be noting what critters are minions, solos, elites and what sizes they are so i can make some sprite based counter sheets.

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
In this order:

PHB: Read favourite classes first (wizard), then skip to magic items and rituals. Then cover to cover, except for the bits already read.
DMG: Cover to cover. Perhaps more interesting parts again.
MM: Skimming, looking up iconic monsters, pet monsters I like, and going after the illustrations.

Cheers, LT.

-Avalon-

First Post
I will...

Read each one prolly twice a day for about 2 weeks, and promptly tab each section in each book with lil colored tabbies to let me know exactly where every major partition is...

Then make characters myself, pull out mat, through random enemies on the table for me to die horribly against, and learn every monster ability and player ability I can...

Then Write up my first few modules, and shape them into my campaign world, and demolish Players until they learn how to survive =)

I dunno... prolly just crack em open whenever I get a chance really ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never read a book like this from cover to cover - they're reference books. I look up things as I need 'em.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads