• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How will you read the core books day one?

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I'll read the PHB & DMG cover to cover to get a good feel for what's different about 4e vs 3.x.

I always thought I was the only person who didn't read monster books all the way through but apparently not. Like every MM or other monster compilation I've bought in the last few years, I'll leap around reading the monsters I think look cool and never actually get round to reading the whole thing. The one exception was the Fiend Folio which was so cool I had to read all of the monsters.

Cheers

Richard

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
The store I work for *should* be getting them in on Wednesday before the release date. Of course, we can't sell them or let them leave the store, but if it's allowed, I'll be at the store that day reading the books there.

I'll be interested in the DM stuff the most -- how encounters are set up, XP, treasure, all that jazz. Then I'll read through the monsters I would use in a 4e game (the monsters who I feel are "classics") and finally I would read as much of the PHB as I could.

After the release date, I'd probably read through all of the spell abilities, powers and feats.

Agamon

Adventurer
It's going to be a bit of a drive home from the place I know I can get the books on Friday (2.5 hours), but I won't be driving...but it will get dark, I may need to bring a light source. It's possible I won't be sleeping much Friday night...or doing much on Saturday.

I'm reminded of Christmas as a child... :)

But anyhoo, I'll likely skim one of the books while one of my players skims another. When I start reading, I'll start reading the PHB, move to the DMG and then the MM.

Kesh

First Post
PHB cover to cover
DMG cover to cover
MM I'll skim for a few monsters I'm interested in (Gnolls). Otherwise, i'm enjoying being surprised in Keep on the Shadowfell, so I think I'll let our GM have his surprises.

joela

First Post
raises hand

Lord Tirian said:
PHB: Read favourite classes first (wizard), then skip to magic items and rituals. Then cover to cover, except for the bits already read.
DMG: Cover to cover. Perhaps more interesting parts again.
MM: Skimming, looking up iconic monsters, pet monsters I like, and going after the illustrations.

Ditto.

Masquerade

First Post
After an initial flip-through of all three books, I'll start with the combat section and then make sure I understand all the fundamental rules from the PHB. Then I will read the low-level (1-5) powers of each class and look at all the monsters of those levels. This should be enough to get me started on my summer mini-campaign.

From there, it's DMG cover-to-cover, then the remainder of the PHB cover-to-cover. Then a read of whatever monsters' art appeals to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads