• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How will you read the core books day one?

Aristotle

First Post
I don't tend to read reference books cover to cover. My plan is to do a slow browse of the MM. I have some broad strokes laid for a campaign and I want to see if the critters I've chosen will fit the level ranges I want them in. I also want to see what other critters jump out at me in an "oh I gotta use that" kind of way.

Then I'll read the character generation and combat chapters in the PHB, plus any others that seem necessary for general play... and then on to the DMG for whatever catches my attention.

Surgoshan

First Post
I'll go into the bookstore and look at them with longing. I'll cry a little inside because I can't afford them. Then I'll take them down, just to look at them. I'll run my hands over the smooth, shiny covers. I'll inhale that new book smell. I'll gaze in adoration at the pretty pictures on the glossy pages. Then I'll buy them, take them home, and read them. PHB, DMG, then MM.

KKDragonLord

First Post
I'll probably download them as pdfs on emule PHB->DMG->MM and start by altering my players classes with the full rules and then figuring out how much treasure they should have at their level and planning a nice way to give them, and at last, updating the monsters i had planned for their encounters with the real stats they should have, probably skimming through MM to see the pictures =)

then hopefully, on the 18th or at least on the 24th my pre-order will finally arrive and ill be able to read them cover to cover.

it really sucks that the pre-orders will only leave amazon to the international shipping on the 6th, i'll have to make do with a pirate copy until they get here...

osmanb

First Post
Let's see. Probably going to read PHB and DMG cover-to-cover, then most of the MM. Of course, I'm also planning on fleshing out the new game I'm going to run in the process, so I expect that it's going to take a bit of time. As such, I've already planned to take vacation for the entire week. :D

ZetaStriker

First Post
I'll pour through the character options in the PHB, and then skim the MM. I'll then jump back into the PHB, reading through the rest of it, before focusing my attention on the DMG in its entirety.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'll do the same I've done with every other system I've tried to learn.

I'll make characters and build adventure scenarios.

Best way to learn is to do.

keterys

First Post
Usually I'd burn through the PHB first, and skip around the DMG and MM as needed to make some adventures... this time though I'll probably read the MM cover to cover first. Maybe twice.

Research instead of just so I can play, and all that.

jeffhartsell

First Post
I'll skip around the PHB since I am buying that June 6th. Then when my Amazon order arrives with the DMG and MM I'll read key chapters of the DMG and skim the MM for low-level monsters and look for old favorites.

I don't read the books cover-to-cover.

Family

First Post
:( because this won't be an option:
JackingIn.jpg

I'll have to resort to:
Jimmy: Son, you really readin' all these books at the same time?
Matthew: Yep.
Jimmy: What about this one? It's upside down.
Matthew: Mr. James, no offence, but have you ever read four books at a time?
Jimmy: No.
Matthew: Then don't tell me how to do it. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads