D&D 5E How Wotc can improve the adventure books.

jasper

Rotten DM
Since Robus and others are on a tear about Icewind Dale having some problems, What are some things Wotc can do to improve the next adventure book?
1. Encounter difficulty included. Hard, Easy, Deadly. And MAYBE some suggestions like Adventure League does to adjust the level.
2. 5 and 55 year review. As a 55 57 year some of printed maps are hard to read. Either lighten up on the dark colors, or white grid lines if you go dark. The story should be reviewed by both a 5 year old and 55 year.
3. A little bit more world building. Waterdeep Heist was not great. It was not Oceans 11. But it did have a full chapter for Waterdeep.
4. Minor. Page listing for monsters Ex Orc MM 246
5. Have the Marketing team read the book. Waterdeep was not Ocean's 11. Icewind is too cold.
6. Better binding.
Next person.

Oofta

Legend
Include a disclaimer

This module is just a starting point. As a DM you need to make it your own and adjust for your group. If you disagree with how some material is presented or assumptions made, change it! Fantasy is not and cannot always be realistic, nor would most people want it to be.​
In addition, you may need to rebalance some encounters here and there based on your group because no module can ever encompass all possible options. Remember, this is a game of interactive fiction, which means that every table can and should have different experiences but the goal is to have fun.​

A game is defined by its stakes. The better the stakes are, the better the game. This applies throughout life, and while you do not need amazing stakes, you need stakes.

5E adventures have stakes, but they don't really care to go into detail about the stakes.
  • In Rime of the Frostmaiden, we have the winter-focused stakes, how the winter-focused stakes aren't really fleshed out, and in some places, are forgotten. Its been two years of almost total night and severe cold, but the responses from the people living here AND the environment don't do a good job of showing just how bad two years of apocalyptic winter are.
  • Compare this to Curse of Strahd, where Strahd is a constant threat, corruption is a constant threat, and everywhere the player's go, they see the corruption of Strahd in different levels. In the above, the contradictory information makes it so the stakes are cheapened; in Strahd, where the stakes are fully fleshed out in different ways, the stakes are intense.

Rime of the Frostmaiden is not a terrible adventure, but it is not as good as it could have been. This applies to Storm King's Thunder (which does a poorer job of establishing stakes as compared to Frostmaiden), the Elemental Evil adventure, and so on.

Now, this is overarching stuff. There's a lot of smaller things I'll discuss later (if this thread doesn't die) when I have more time about improving adventure design, but overall, WotC needs to always make sure the premise is gripping, the stakes are high, and that it is not only plausible, but interesting that it is the PCs who need to handle these problems. This is where some adventures, like Tomb of Annihilation, fail. In ToA, an apocalyptic Death Curse is wreaking havoc in Faerun. A powerful, ressurected adventurer hires a group of level 1s to solve the problem. In a world like Faerun, where adventurers are fairly common, why resort to sending these low-level PCs into a dark continent with no information? The NPC doesn't tell the party about the undead, nothing on Chultan history, or about any other dangers they could face - she just teleports them there and says "Have at it." This is a poor opening to an equally poor adventure, and the adventure would have been a lot better if the stakes were more sensible for the PCs.

For example, when I played Tomb, and I played it for 2 years, it would have been cool if all the players were ressurected and were desperately looking for a way to break the curse. Or maybe the players are related to the NPC, either through backstory or current events. Or if the NPC was getting desperate and had already sent out a bunch of parties already, and now resorted to sending level 1s to solve her problem.

To a lot of people, this kind of stuff is fun for them to come up for themselves. For me, it is too. However, when you pay $50 for an adventure, you expect the adventure to be GOOD, COMPLETE, and requiring MINIMIAL NARRATIVE DESIGN on the part of the DM. There will always be narrative design required; this is D&D after all, and this is where the fun comes in! But if the opening hook is weak and the stakes are non-existent, it makes me wonder why I bothered buying the adventure in the first place (other than for stripping it of parts, which is a valid reason!).

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Since Robus and others are on a tear about Icewind Dale having some problems, What are some things Wotc can do to improve the next adventure book?
I guess I should buy a copy... just so I can say I have it (and I'm sure there are parts to strip...)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
5. Have the Marketing team read the book. Waterdeep was not Ocean's 11. Icewind is too cold.

Because people in marketing have an interest and understanding of climatology and ecology such that their review of how cold Icewnd Dale is would be useful?

It is not marketing's job to review/edit content for scientific plausibility.

Remember that there are new DMs attempting to run these adventures and the more "clever" you make them the harder it is. And telling new DMs to "make it your own" is like telling a new skier to just go to the top of the mountain and find your own way down! :)
I do find it VERY strange how the idea that adventures and modules are "moddable" by those who buy them somehow clears said adventure of all criticism. It seems as if the onus is on the consumer, then, and not the producer to make the content great.

Again, Frostmaiden is a valid adventure. It has flaws, but it works. But it could be better. There seems to be a consistent culture in these threads, though, that doesn't think that WotC SHOULD do better, and that we the consumers should instead be better. That seems backwards to me. Why should I pay $50 for an adventure that does not meet my standards? That's half a $100! That's a lot of money to pay, and I find it a little bit elitist almost when people say "Well just change it!" I already bought it, and now I have to change it?

There's something else too. A lot of people seem to be content telling us that our complaints don't matter, or that they are overblown, or that we are, in everything but name, crazy for wanting some of these changes.

Overall, what I see is a dismissal of new DMs, a dismissal of critics, and a dismissal of ideas, which is very disconcerting :(

jasper

Rotten DM
Because people in marketing have an interest and understanding of climatology and ecology such that their review of how cold Icewnd Dale is would be useful?

It is not marketing's job to review/edit content for scientific plausibility.
Waterdeep Heist Oceans 11 meets D&D Um no it was treasure hunt where you could NOT keep the treasure.
Descent. Mad Max meets D&D. See you can spend $50 on a war machine mini. War machines are used in how many chapters?
Icewind Dale. It freaking cold like the 80s movie the Thing. It is horribly cold. Page 20 Cold Weathr gear for protects from extreme cold. For only $10. Um 10 gp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases