How would an Erathis Priest taunt a Bahamut Paladin

Hawke

Explorer
Wow, very cool suggestions... some really creative answers. This kind of is a neat exercise, kind of interesting to see how what followers of generally good gods would see each other.

I definitely will snag some of these insults for the game, got to be a bit careful about not starting a war, though!

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Erathis and Bahamut share a major similarity:

They believe in protecting the weak

This highlights a major difference:

To Bahamut the weak must be protected by the powerful
To Erathis the weak can protect each other, through civilisation

A priest of Erathis might consider Bahamut and his Dragons as tyrants, wanting to take control under the promise of protection.

Actually I got just the opposite feeling from Erathis. For her, order is paramount. Erathis supports law/civilization/order regardless of tyranny.

Bahamut and Erathis share the justice domain.

Divine power states:

"Bahamut sees justice as the tool of good intentions. Laws and honor exist to protect those who cannot protect themselves and to prevent those who wield power from taking the path of evil."

and:

"Erathis views justice as the driving force behind civilization. Without law...society dissolves into chaos."

Additionally you can look at The Plane Above for Erathis's "game of making," which is an attempt to rebuild the lattice of heaven through mastery over creation. The good gods (e.g. Pelor) know that Erathis intends to carry out or have her followers carry out a variety of evil/depraved experiments to further the advance of creation. For that reason they are unwilling to particpate fully. For her part, the rebuilding of the lattice of heaven and the restoration of order in the Astral Sea justifies these actions.*

I'm pretty sure that a follower of Erathis would thus view a follower of Bahmut as naive, idealistic and too willing to sacrifice order for the sake of, "good." Much of what Bahamut would see as intolerable tyranny would be acceptable for Erathis given the importance of battling chaos. The priest would likely mock the character for not having the stomach to do what is necessary to fight entropy.

*I can't find the quote but somewhere I read that Erathis views tyranny as simply, "one possible form of civilization," and thus acceptable and within her sphere (she butts heads with Asmodeus over this.)

On Puget Sound

First Post
This was an unexpectedly serendipitous thread for me to find. My campaign in mythic Britain features two monarchs with conflicting goals and methods, though both are "good" - Arthur Pendragon, a dragonborn and very Bahamut-ish, and Elizabeth Tudor, a human dedicated to sciences, arts and civilization. I've been struggling with ways to play up the differences between the two realms, and a lot of the comments here are giving me ideas.

The_Fan

First Post
Actually I got just the opposite feeling from Erathis. For her, order is paramount. Erathis supports law/civilization/order regardless of tyranny.

Bahamut and Erathis share the justice domain.

Divine power states:

"Bahamut sees justice as the tool of good intentions. Laws and honor exist to protect those who cannot protect themselves and to prevent those who wield power from taking the path of evil."

and:

"Erathis views justice as the driving force behind civilization. Without law...society dissolves into chaos."

Additionally you can look at The Plane Above for Erathis's "game of making," which is an attempt to rebuild the lattice of heaven through mastery over creation. The good gods (e.g. Pelor) know that Erathis intends to carry out or have her followers carry out a variety of evil/depraved experiments to further the advance of creation. For that reason they are unwilling to particpate fully. For her part, the rebuilding of the lattice of heaven and the restoration of order in the Astral Sea justifies these actions.*

I'm pretty sure that a follower of Erathis would thus view a follower of Bahmut as naive, idealistic and too willing to sacrifice order for the sake of, "good." Much of what Bahamut would see as intolerable tyranny would be acceptable for Erathis given the importance of battling chaos. The priest would likely mock the character for not having the stomach to do what is necessary to fight entropy.

*I can't find the quote but somewhere I read that Erathis views tyranny as simply, "one possible form of civilization," and thus acceptable and within her sphere (she butts heads with Asmodeus over this.)
It's in Manual of the Plains, in the section on Hestevar. One of the points of contention between her and Pelor, despite having to share the same city.

Lawful Neutral vs Chaotic Good?

According to the priest of Erathis, the paladin of Bahamut is a Well Intentioned Extremist (TV Tropes link not provided for productivity's sake). So run with it. Point out that the Paladin's responsible for not just the death of orcs, but leaving their families to starve. Point out that by killing whatever monsters, violence begets violence. And that he's been creating the next generation of bad guys. Yes, some of the compromises the Erathian will make will be ... distateful to the Paladin. But the consequences of the Paladin's actions will be awful if there have been certain plots.

Remember. In the sinister seeming empire, no one starves and the trains run on time. And with no starvation and hideous punishments for breaking the law, the crime rate is very low so Paladins aren't needed to protect the weak.

falcarrion

First Post
Erathis: Your pride lead your race to there down fall. Lets learn from history, not repeat it.

Bahamut: I would rather face an enemy head on then to hide in a building of stone and have it colaspe on me and end my life. And never strike a blow against my enemy.

Last edited:

Remove ads