• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would you best represent astronomy skills in D&D?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would say Navigation Tools as well, since up until modern times, anyone sailing a ship would have to have been an astronomer by default, given that location readings at sea were based upon the locations and movements of the sun, moon, planets, and stars. The tools would also be pretty much the same - astrolabes, sextants (well, actually its ancestor the quadrant), almanacs, star charts, and, for later periods, telescopes (which weren't invented until 1608 in real life). Anything having to do with coastal charts would be a bit of a side bonus, or you can just ignore those in this case if you or the player wants to limit the proficiency in such a way.
I would totally expect a Sage who studies astronomy in Ue Oldde Tymes to be able to read a sea chart. Specialization wasn't a thing back when, after all.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's tempting to add more skills but it's a dangerous thing to do, as the value of each skill diminishes, and the number of skills a character can pick doesn't increase...

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Yeah, Intelligence + Navigator's Tools seems most appropriate; I'd also allow a History check, too, for info on the various constellations and stars visible from that part of the world.

And, yes, I am insane enough to have that information for my setting.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, Intelligence + Navigator's Tools seems most appropriate; I'd also allow a History check, too, for info on the various constellations and stars visible from that part of the world.

And, yes, I am insane enough to have that information for my setting.

Its not localized to different areas, but I do have constellations and rotating planetary conjunctions.

Satyrn

First Post
It's tempting to add more skills but it's a dangerous thing to do, as the value of each skill diminishes, and the number of skills a character can pick doesn't increase...

Aye. I would not add more skills.

But I find tools are far more nebulous in their place in the rules, that adding in endless numbers of them doesn't matter. Especially since they can be easily trained in downtimeand it's not like any of them other than thieves' tools seems to have any significant impact on the "average" game.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Yeah, I wouldn't go any further than just expanding on proficiency in Navigator's tools to include general astronomy tools and knowledge as well...

If anything, the already-written description for them is really just a sub-set of astronomy knowledge anyway, with a bit of geography and cartography thrown in.

akr71

Hero
The Sage - Astronomer background and skill check of d20 + Intelligent + Proficiency Bonus.

Without the background, I would just do an Intelligence check. No proficiency bonus

Remove ads