How would you rule crafting items in a no-XP system?

I implemented a magic item creation XP bonus IMC after I noticed some statistical weirdness in the XP system. Let us say a 10th level mage makes a dinky scroll and manages to be 2XP behind the rest of the 4-person party when they reach 11th (54998 and 55000XP respectively). The next encounter is a CR11, with the three 11th level characters earning 3300/4=825XP (total 55825XP) and the mage earning 4500/4=1125XP (Total 56123XP). Hey, 300 free XP!

This doesn't happen all the time but it happens some times and I personally don't want to micromanage that much. You also don't know if the encounter is level appropriate (could be higher, could be lower).

So with the assumption that the pivotal encounter is level appropriate for the party (meaning +1 CR for the item creator), that a level appropriate encounter is worth Level x 1,000XP /13 per person, and that +1CR encounters are worth 30% more XP than a +1CR encounter to a +1 level party (Level x 30% x 1000XP /13 => Level x 23XP)

I apply a bit of a safety factor to acknowledge the statistical fudging involved and cut that value in half to Level x 10 free XP for magic item creation. At 10th level the mage could make 100XP in magic items (~2500gp worth) or spells with XP cost and have no impact on their leveling. If they burn more than that I'd have to start doing detailed math.

Since you are in an XP-free game you could just use the Levelx20XP method which is still, statistically speaking, fair. The main fudge is the use of level-appropriate encounter but I figure that is the XP norm.

Remove ads