How's D&D Working Out For You? First official feedback survey looks at CLASSES and FEATS!

D&D 5th Edition has been out for 7 months now, with a boxed Starter Set, a free basic game, three core rulebooks, two hardcover adventures, and range of accessories. and WotC has just launched the first of its feedback surveys. From the start, WotC promised 5E would be a "living game" and that they would periodically survey the fan base to find out how the game is working and what areas need to be looked at. This first survey is focused on character classes and feats. "Future surveys will touch on other areas of the game. We’ll also launch more detailed surveys of classes or feats as needed to refine the information we gather and better understand your feedback."

D&D 5th Edition has been out for 7 months now, with a boxed Starter Set, a free basic game, three core rulebooks, two hardcover adventures, and range of accessories. and WotC has just launched the first of its feedback surveys. From the start, WotC promised 5E would be a "living game" and that they would periodically survey the fan base to find out how the game is working and what areas need to be looked at. This first survey is focused on character classes and feats. "Future surveys will touch on other areas of the game. We’ll also launch more detailed surveys of classes or feats as needed to refine the information we gather and better understand your feedback."

You can take the survey here. It can take up to about 18 minutes to complete if you answer all of the questions. But once you've done it, please do feel free to comment here and share what you think for others to read, too!

Most of the released products have high ratings when looking at consolidated ratings from fans and reviews from popular sites like GeekDad, Forbes, The Escapist, Examiner.com, The Mary Sue, Aint-It-Cool-News, Boing Boing, and iO9. The Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide both current have 92.5%, and the Monster Manual is not far behind with 91%. The Starter Set, also, has a strong 84%. The adventures have not fared quite so well; Hoard of the Dragon Queen has only 55%, although Rise of Tiamat is more popular with 76.5%. The initial DM Screen from Gale Force 9 is unpopular with a rating of 30%, but the new one from WotC was much better received with 84.5%.

I feel the need to point out, if the results of this [and presumably other] survey is indeed to be taken for alterations and inclusions in a "living system" then it is imperative for those who LIKE what they see and feel of the game to get in there and make remarks!

Sitting back and saying "well I like it all/most/whatever. Nothing really needs to be said" then that vocal minorities of tech/online savy "ragers against the machine" [for lack of a better term] will have more impact/effect on WotC's future choices and decisions. The results, predictably, will be an ever-changing/-shifting game and feel moving away from/no longer be what you like.

So, get in there with the "likes" and "no need to/don't change this/that" folks!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Me and steeldragon disagree on a lot around here, but I can not enough say +100 to this... everyone get out there and say what you like and dislike... emphasis on the like. This will only work if we all work togather here...

BoldItalic

First Post
Maybe it seriously does! That sounds very odd. And disturbing, if so.

It did ask how long as the 2nd thing. But I wasn't asked gender or age group til the end. Last, in fact.
It's okay. Must have been a glitch. I cleared the cookies from the survey site so it would let me do it again. It was okay this time. Actually, that's a weakness in the the scheme - it's possible to spam the survey by doing that. Not that anybody here would do that, of course. :D

Being asked to compare classes to say which was more powerful seemed a bit odd. I skipped that bit.

Chocolategravy

First Post
Me and steeldragon disagree on a lot around here, but I can not enough say +100 to this... everyone get out there and say what you like and dislike... emphasis on the like. This will only work if we all work togather here...

On the other hand if your group decided to play with Rules Cyclopedia and Pathfinder instead, maybe they should hear that too. Many people are saying 5E is inspiring them, it did us as well, to go as far as putting up with THAC0 to avoid it.

Nellisir

Hero
Mine definitely focused in on the classes in my game (druid and ranger). I couldn't answer a lot of them because the party is only 3rd level and I'm still learning the details of the classes, but I muddled through.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
It's a numbers thing. If you get 1000 people rating all the classes like that and one is consistently at the bottom when compared all classes and one is consistently at the top it's informative.

Yeah, I think the goal is to see if any classes are consistently rated high or low. It specifically says in the survey that the classes you compare are randomized.

I honestly was probably a bit random on that one. I picked bard over barbarian but then picked fighter over wizard. My basic algorithm was, "Which of these classes feels the most powerful to play?"

koga305

First Post
I'd like to see a bump in inspiring leader and mounted combat feats. The archetypical knight is a huge one, and those two feats are way underpowered compared to other feats. Especially mounted combat because it might not come up that often (and not at all in a dungeon). I suggested a saving throw bonus for inspiring leader, and a HP bonus to the mount.
I agree with you so far as Mounted Combatant goes (mostly because it just won't come up often in the average game), but I think Inspiring Leader is fine as is. Even at low levels, giving everyone in the party ~6 THP three times per day can add up to a lot of damage prevented for the cost of one feat.
2. Crossbow Sniper technically seems to let you use two hand crossbows, and combined with Sharpshooter that's just too much damage compared to other PCs.
Even worse, by a strict reading it seems to imply that one crossbow and a shield will work. This makes it pretty much strictly better than dual wielding, and with Sharpshooter in the mix it's arguably the most powerful combat style both defensively and offensively. I don't think that's the feat working as intended.
Huh, it is only asking me about cleric, druid, fighter, ranger, rogue, wizard. What about the other classes?
I got the exact same classes (save for the power level comparisons, which featured pretty much all of them). I hope it had opportunities for others to rate other classes!

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Would have loved to tell them that the eldritch knight subclass is missing the ability to channel spells through a weapon strike and that is a hge part of what appeals to some people about a "gish" build. Oddly enough the paladin feels closer to what I was hoping for (especially the oath of vengeance). Refluffing for now I suppose.

I also answered a question about boxed sets and books. Told them that I prefer books for rules, but boxed sets are much better for adventures and campaign settings.

Evenglare

Adventurer
So what is this survey supposed to do exactly? As in.... how will it be implemented? Am I going to have to rebuy the 3 core books with updated information or am I going to have to download the errata that changes the game on a fundamental level like 4e?

Nebulous

Legend
I feel the need to point out, if the results of this [and presumably other] survey is indeed to be taken for alterations and inclusions in a "living system" then it is imperative for those who LIKE what they see and feel of the game to get in there and make remarks!

Sitting back and saying "well I like it all/most/whatever. Nothing really needs to be said" then that vocal minorities of tech/online savy "ragers against the machine" [for lack of a better term] will have more impact/effect on WotC's future choices and decisions. The results, predictably, will be an ever-changing/-shifting game and feel moving away from/no longer be what you like.

So, get in there with the "likes" and "no need to/don't change this/that" folks!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Good point.

Remove ads

Remove ads