D&D 5E Human racial bonus in 5E

Drakhar

First Post
+1 to all stats has been confirmed for human
+2/+1 for demi humans...

You don't agree that's what it should be? Because it's been confirmed that +1 to all for humans and +2/+1 for non-humans, RAW. Of course, you can always house rule it if you're not good with that.

It actually hasn't been confirmed. We've had one person claim to have gotten confirmation from someone else who was in the private internal playtesting, it's very much a friend of a friend situation, so why don't we relax on calling things confirmed until a WotC official confirms or the actual rules are out?

Agamon

Adventurer
It actually hasn't been confirmed. We've had one person claim to have gotten confirmation from someone else who was in the private internal playtesting, it's very much a friend of a friend situation, so why don't we relax on calling things confirmed until a WotC official confirms or the actual rules are out?

Merric's not some schmoe, I would tend to believe what he posts if he goes out of his way to post it. YMMV, of course.

That said, it's what makes the most sense, regardless.

Drakhar

First Post
Merric's not some schmoe, I would tend to believe what he posts if he goes out of his way to post it. YMMV, of course.

That said, it's what makes the most sense, regardless.

I never claimed he was, I simply think it would be wise to take things with a grain of salt, especially as the stats for the dwarf work with both the 27 point buy array that the +1 to all human seems to imply and with the 30 point buy array that was in the final playtest document with the stats for a hill dwarf from the final playtest document.

Agamon

Adventurer
I never claimed he was, I simply think it would be wise to take things with a grain of salt, especially as the stats for the dwarf work with both the 27 point buy array that the +1 to all human seems to imply and with the 30 point buy array that was in the final playtest document with the stats for a hill dwarf from the final playtest document.

Are we not assuming the standard array for argument's sake? I'd rather assume the simplest explanation rather than some complex one.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's close enough to confirmed for me.

I didn't like the +1 to all stats for the Human, but if other races generally get +2/+1 then I'm okay with it. It's especially fine if you think of it as mostly ADVENTURERS that get these stats (Adventurers are generally above average people.)

Works for me.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
I didn't like the +1 to all stats for the Human, but if other races generally get +2/+1 then I'm okay with it. It's especially fine if you think of it as mostly ADVENTURERS that get these stats (Adventurers are generally above average people.)

Good point, but this new scheme is actually the best of any edition now. Very positive change.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Seems pretty clear at this point that the pregens are made with a

15,14,13,12,10,8 standard array.

The Dwarf Cleric put 'em 14, 8, 13, 10, 15, 12 and got +2 Con and +1 Wis
The Human Fighter put 'em 15, 8, 14, 10, 12, 13 and got +1 to all of 'em.

I'm banking on it.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

I'm banking on it.

I agree.

The only interesting variation on this is that the hill dwarf gets a +1 wis, which represents a meaningful change from the play test materials.

I think it is reasonable to assume the following:

1. for non-humans, the main race choice gives +2 to one stat (Dex for halfling and elf, Con for dwarf)
2. I'll guess that we could extend that to Str for halforc, and (I'm hoping) Cha for half elf. (Conceivably Elf will become Int, but more likely it will be the gnome that starts with +2 Int).
3. The sub race gives +1 to another stat...
4. ... which in the case of the hill dwarf is now Wis and not Str.

Speculating Responsibly (lol), KS.

Last edited:

Shadimar

First Post

I'm banking on it.

Well that standard array does equal 72 which is what I've always been advised as the average score. Anything over that is a bonus, anything under is subpar.

I'm happy with the above if that's the final decision. Really makes you wonder though what they have done with Half Orcs whether they get +2 Str +2 Con now ?

I can see a Dragonborn Paladin in my future +2 Str, +1 Cha.... or if there is a Str based Sorcerer again

The only interesting variation on this is that the hill dwarf gets a +1 wis, which represents a meaningful change from the play test materials.

I think it is reasonable to assume the following:

1. for non-humans, the main race choice gives +2 to one stat (Dex for halfling and elf, Con for dwarf)
2. I'll guess that we could extend that to Str for halforc, and (I'm hoping) Cha for half elf. (Conceivably Elf will become Int, but conceivably it will be the gnome that starts with +2 Int).
3. The sub race gives +1 to another stat...
4. ... which in the case of the hill dwarf is now Wis and not Str.

Speculating Responsibly (lol), KS.

I'm thinking that Elf will have +2 Dex.. especially if Drow becomes a sub-race of Elf with a +1 Cha. Then you'll have High Elf +1 Int and Wood Elf +1 Wis.

I wonder if for the optional races they'll give you a choice. For instance Tiefling gets +1 Int +1 Cha and the choice of whether to put an additional +1 in Int or Cha.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'm thinking that Elf will have +2 Dex.. especially if Drow becomes a sub-race of Elf with a +1 Cha. Then you'll have High Elf +1 Int and Wood Elf +1 Wis.

I wonder if for the optional races they'll give you a choice. For instance Tiefling gets +1 Int +1 Cha and the choice of whether to put an additional +1 in Int or Cha.[/FONT]

I expect you are right about the elves. The tie fling idea would be fun.

Remove ads