• Yes

Votes: 142 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 4.2%

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
As long as the pitch sounds fun to me, I'll play it. I've played and run human-only games without issue. I prefer a setting with constraints anyway. Kitchen-sink settings bug the heck out of me.

Ace

Adventurer
Yes of course. I've run many games that are effectively Human only . I think it works better in many ways than the Mos Eisley Cantina meets Tolkien approach.

I've also done games that are Human but with one non human from a human like heritage list (Half Elf, Dhampir , that kind of thing)

Greg K

Legend
Pirates is no change at all. The game's only base assumption is that PCs will be a race and a class. It doesn't assume anything further. All humans or no humans, a mix of races or all the same race is all the same to the game's base assumption of a D&D party. Whether the group will be pirates or generic adventurers is likewise not assumed by the game. HOW you go about adventuring is completely up to the individual table and is not assumed in any way by the game.
Yep, it is not something new. I remember single class (and I think race) campaigns being discussed in official supplements as early as 2e. The designers of 3e also discussed all martial campaigns, all spellcaster campaigns, and I think single class campaigns in Dragon Magazine which labeled all articles at the time as 100% official content.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Pirates is no change at all. The game's only base assumption is that PCs will be a race and a class. It doesn't assume anything further. All humans or no humans, a mix of races or all the same race is all the same to the game's base assumption of a D&D party. Whether the group will be pirates or generic adventurers is likewise not assumed by the game. HOW you go about adventuring is completely up to the individual table and is not assumed in any way by the game.

Actually there are a bunch of assumptions in D&D, especially 5e. Going full on pirates changes a bunch of assumptions like items, equipment, encounters. With a trusted DM, no biggie. Without one, I'd want to see a guidebook or something.

Oops All Humans is a mild theme though.

Remove ads