• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humbling defeats

WampusCat43

Explorer
diaglo said:
reminds me of the adventure in Dungeon with the House-sized Mimics.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but WOTC had a house-shaped mimic on stilts in one of their mini-adventures. I even cut out one of their folding shacks just for realism. And who climbed the rope ladder, all by himself? The wizard, of course :D Rolled him up like a frog does a fly.

diaglo

Adventurer
WampusCat43 said:
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but WOTC had a house-shaped mimic on stilts in one of their mini-adventures. I even cut out one of their folding shacks just for realism. And who climbed the rope ladder, all by himself? The wizard, of course :D Rolled him up like a frog does a fly.

around 1988 or so...memory failing..

i think Dungeon 19.

In Old One's Grim Tales session at last October's game day, we pretty much got our butts handed to us by a pond. Not a magical pond, or a stormy pond, or even an intelligent pond. No, just a hole filled with water.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
In Old One's Grim Tales session at last October's game day, we pretty much got our butts handed to us by a pond. Not a magical pond, or a stormy pond, or even an intelligent pond. No, just a hole filled with water.

You have to explain this one a bit more :D

DrNilesCrane

First Post
When I first started DMing (about 20 years ago), I ran and adventure for a friend of mine in which his tough as nails, ass-kicking warrior was defeated by...

...sigh...

Giant squirrels.

Not a high point as DM or for the player.

diaglo

Adventurer
back in 1983 or so.. our party was mostly training...

the archer ranger was a few experience pts short. so he went off on his own to kill random critter X.

the DM rolled up a giant ant...

we never did see him again...

funniest defeat ever in the group.

almost 4th lvl PC vs a giant ant

afterwards we made up stories about how he must've been seduced by a dryad.

Old One

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:

KB9JMQ said:
You have to explain this one a bit more :D

There was something shiny at the bottom of the pond. The PCs wanted it. One dove in - critical failure on her swim roll (in Grim Tales, the DM can award an action point by inflicting a crit failure on "natural 1"). Starts drowning.

She is followed by another...and another...and yet another. I don't think I have ever seen such a series of poor rolls (followed by even more poor rolls). I think 2/3's of the party end up tangling with the "Tranquil Pond of Doom". They eventually haul everyone out and the healer PC manages to revive the 95% dead first victim.

I think I need to put that pond down as a CR10 hazard ;)!

~ OO

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads