• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humor in sourcebooks

Odhanan

Adventurer
I hate political and religious bashing in RPG books. I hate jokes that have anything to do with society and personal opinions in RPG books. And I hate bathroom humour in RPG books.

That said, I may like humour in RPG books when it enhances what the book proposes instead of throwing it down the gutter.

Barak

First Post
Odhanan said:
I hate political and religious bashing in RPG books. I hate jokes that have anything to do with society and personal opinions in RPG books. And I hate bathroom humour in RPG books.

That said, I may like humour in RPG books when it enhances what the book proposes instead of throwing it down the gutter.

Political and religious bashing? Is that something you run into often? I can't really think of any offhand, really.

Odhanan

Adventurer
In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas
COPS
And a bunch of other French role-playing games. Sadly, this kind of game/pamphlets do exist.

Sometimes they are just borderline (and it's a bit off-topic, given it's not systematically shown as humour): having a fantasy game picturing priests of monotheistic religions as inquisitors and intolerant people systematically. Or showing politicians as people systematically corrupted. This, in my opinion, makes Stereotypes mundane, and there's nothing more dangerous than stereotypes.

Barak

First Post
Ahh but that's very different. You're talking about games that have that as the main concept, not just slipping those in a "regular" game. Difference being that as long as you know a -little- about the game, you can realize what is going on, and avoid it.

Sorta different from having, say, a sentence in th D&D PH in the druid section saying "And druids want pot legalized because they are not completely idiotic, and realize it's natural!". That would annoy me, regardless even of wether or not I'd agree.

LordVyreth

First Post
Speaking of humor in sourcebooks - anyone ever notice the power "Deja Vu" is printed twice in the XPH (pg 91 and 92)? Oh those sly dogs at WotC

kenobi65

First Post
LordVyreth said:
Speaking of humor in sourcebooks - anyone ever notice the power "Deja Vu" is printed twice in the XPH (pg 91 and 92)? Oh those sly dogs at WotC

I feel like I've seen this post before... ;)

Remove ads