• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humor in sourcebooks

William Ronald

Explorer
Humor can be appropriate in a published product, as our own world provides examples of things to laugh at. Why shouldn't a gaming supplement allow the readers to chuckle every now and then. Also, humor can sometimes prove a point. For example, in the case of the excerpt from the Explorer's Handbook, I thought it showed some of the mindset of characters in Eberron and I think the people of Khorvaire do have a sense of humor. (I imagine there would be a lot of grim humor in an Eberron campaign.)

Ringmereth

First Post
Even epic-level scions of power with the fate of the world in their hands need a bit of comic relief every now and then. Us gamers need substantially more. So, I'm all for lighthearted moments in sourcebooks. Granted, there shouldn't be too much in Libris Mortis or Lords of Madness, but token funny stuff like the Deja Vu in XPH adds a bit of much-needed humor to the otherwise dry rulebooks.

Dav

First Post
One of the things that cracked me up in reading the PBH was the arcane focus for detect thoughts: a copper piece. "A penny for your thoughts." Hehehehe. :lol:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Dav said:
One of the things that cracked me up in reading the PBH was the arcane focus for detect thoughts: a copper piece. "A penny for your thoughts." Hehehehe. :lol:

It's full of stuff like that. Daze has a "pinch of wool" as component, to pull the wool over the eyes of the victim.

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
:\ It's too bad they cut out the "mutant sea bass" reference in the DMG. It's one of SEVERAL things they should have kept in but that's a ropic for another thread...

Remove ads