Hurricane Katrina fundraiser: 100% of all profits going to victims

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
I'm sure you are all aware of the devastation to Louisiana and Mississippi caused by Hurricane Katrina. It is really horrible and a lot of folks are suffering. I still can't believe this is happening in the United States of America, of all places.

I know it's not a whole lot, but I wanted to help where I can. So I'm going to pledge the entire profits of Open World Press for the month of September to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. That means any purchase of an Open World Press book at Indie Press Revolution will have all proceeds, minus expenses, going to relief efforts.

Even if you don't choose to donate this way, I hope that my gesture will encourage you to give in your own way to help out the victims. This is a real human tragedy.

S'mon

Legend
If you live in the UK, you might like to consider giving via the Salvation Army. My wife donated £100 online to the disaster appeal and she discovered that the SA are gift-aid enabled, ie if you tick the box they can reclaim the tax from the UK government - around 28% extra. Details in her blog, linked to in my sig.

Renshai

First Post
Its nice to see this and what Necromancer games is doing to help. I remember alot of companies helping with the Tsunami victims, I hope to see the same from game companies for the folks of the Gulf Coast.

I live near the affected regions and have already helped out one family staying near here and our extended family offered housing to two families. Its nice to see support for those that are in need.

Ren

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
S'mon said:
If you live in the UK, you might like to consider giving via the Salvation Army. My wife donated £100 online to the disaster appeal and she discovered that the SA are gift-aid enabled, ie if you tick the box they can reclaim the tax from the UK government - around 28% extra. Details in her blog, linked to in my sig.

What a generous donation! :D

Here is also a BBC list of organizations seeking help:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4204066.stm

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Renshai said:
I live near the affected regions and have already helped out one family staying near here and our extended family offered housing to two families. Its nice to see support for those that are in need.

Ren

That is wonderful! I wish I was closer so I could help out directly like you.

I know it's going to take a long time for the region to recover and every little bit can help. So even if you're not out there, you can provide assistance. A lot of donations are going to be needed for the forseeable future.

silvermane

Explorer
I still can't believe this is happening in the United States of America, of all places.

Well, considering that the U.S. is in the third place on the "countries ranked by area" list, I suppose statistical probability of something nasty occuring somewhere in the world weighs heavily in its disfavor.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Yes, but I don't think anyone in the U.S. should starve to death, even after a natural disaster as severe as this. The preparedness and relief efforts were seriously deficient.

Remove ads