Hybrid Exercise Ideas

interwyrm

First Post
My favourite Hybrid option that I'd statted out up to 10th level was, for the sake of argument, what I called "Jedi Knight" :)

I've only got PHB1, but essentially it is a Fighter/Wizard hybrid.

I went on a star wars spree with this too.

My jedi knight was a Psion/Avenger. Psions actually get "force punch" which pushes all adjacent enemies. Psion/swordmage is also good for "force themed", and I think works out better for implements.

I also did a Sith master... swordmage/invoker with divine bolts and lightning lure.

Solvarn

First Post
Warlock/Swordmage (I made a Shielding SM/Infernal Pact Warlock with a focus on the White Lotus feats and a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" concept. Awesome)

Fighter/Runepriest - its as if this combo was made in Dwarf Heaven. Awesome coolness and the Runepriest looses very little. Has good AC in general, since the only lost item on the armor side are heavy shields.

Overall, Warlocks, Runepriests and Shamans make VERY good hybrids in my view since they loose very little of what defines them.

I have a warlock/swordmage that I am having a lot of fun with right now. I multiclassed fighter and picked up the Avernian Knight paragon path. I use a rhythm double sword and have dual implement proficiency. My only melee attacks are Transposing Lunge and Eldtrich Strike so I have an at-will. It is a really solid build in my opinion with some magic items that really push it over the top. I plan on picking up Arcane Riposte, but I am actually worried that the enemies will be too scared to attack me, I'm already at 1d6 + 13 at 12th level on my Hellish Rebuke.

The fighter/runepriest really works well also and is fun. There is some table variation about how the rune powers work; refer to the Runic keyword in the back of the PHB3 for rules as written. Even if you don't pick up Runic Mastery you still choose Destruction or Protection when you use the power, you just don't get the little rider effect from Rune Master.

For an LFR adventure I created a tiefling infernal warlock/wizard that summons demons to torment the demon and his foes.

I also think that taclord/swordmage could work pretty well, I have only played in one session on that character though.

jbear

First Post
I don't know how a half-orc monk/warden would go, but for a defender striker you might want to keep in mind the half-orc tempest fighter/ dual wielding ranger. Dual Strike and mark two targets, Twin Strike and unload two attacks and quarry on a single target. Off hand strike for a third attack. When you get rain of blows... well just imagine the combo. You can put 13 in Wis and multiclass into avenger for copious mounts of d20 rolling for two rounds (solid!). With Pass Forward and Skirmishers stance...ouch. Anyway I could go on, but in a nut shell, especially with Pit Fighter PP it's a pretty deadly combo.

You don't seem to be looking for a defender leader, but a runepriest/ battlerager fight is hard to beat. I went human for the extra at-will; so with Brash Strike, tide of Iron and Rune of Diminishment he has some pretty decent flexibility. Plus when he hits he gains 3 temp hps and when he gets hit he does +3 dmg.

I don't know how a half-orc monk/warden would go, but for a defender striker you might want to keep in mind the half-orc tempest fighter/ dual wielding ranger. Dual Strike and mark two targets, Twin Strike and unload two attacks and quarry on a single target. Off hand strike for a third attack. When you get rain of blows... well just imagine the combo. You can put 13 in Wis and multiclass into avenger for copious mounts of d20 rolling for two rounds (solid!). With Pass Forward and Skirmishers stance...ouch. Anyway I could go on, but in a nut shell, especially with Pit Fighter PP it's a pretty deadly combo.

You don't seem to be looking for a defender leader, but a runepriest/ battlerager fight is hard to beat. I went human for the extra at-will; so with Brash Strike, tide of Iron and Rune of Diminishment he has some pretty decent flexibility. Plus when he hits he gains 3 temp hps and when he gets hit he does +3 dmg.

Don't take Pit Fighter if you are no pure fighter b/c dirty fighting applies only to fighter attack powers. Check the latest update.

Tarlison

First Post
My character is a half elf paladin of bahamut/ dragon sorcerer arm with a schimitar which. He also use as an implement and a parrying dagger in his off hand he also wear a standard plate armor . Unlike most bahamut paladin he is relax regid and sometimes a total mess, and is willing to fight to the gutter, he also does take offense lightly and would just reply such with a joke and a little laugh. In battle he preferred close range area and melee attacks. His most significant statement was "We are paladin of the justice not some noble snub stop lecturing me about fine breeding and let's start doing our job" telling a fellow paladin who was keep on complaining and insulting peasants during a quest.
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gwayne Sunstorm, level 14
Half-Elf, Paladin|Sorcerer, Paragon Hybrid
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Paragon Hybrid Talent: Soul of the Sorcerer
Sorcerous Power: Sorcerous Power Strength
Soul of the Sorcerer: Dragon Soul
Dragon Soul: Dragon Soul Fire
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 35 Fort: 24 Reflex: 24 Will: 27
HP: 100 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +13, Bluff +18, Diplomacy +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +7, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +7, Insight +9, Intimidate +13, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +7, Stealth +7, Streetwise +13, Thievery +7, Athletics +9

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Valenar Weapon Training
Level 4: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Parrying dagger)
Level 10: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 11: Armor Specialization (Plate)
Level 12: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 14: Two-Weapon Defense

POWERS
Dilettante: Direct the Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Burning Spray
Hybrid at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Paragon Hybrid: Divine Reverence
Paragon Hybrid: Winter's Arrival
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Frost of Letherna
Hybrid utility 2: Deep Shroud
Hybrid encounter 3: Poisonous Exhalation
Hybrid daily 5: Glacial Armor
Hybrid utility 6: Wrath of the Gods
Hybrid encounter 7: Spark Form
Hybrid daily 9: Adamantine Echo
Hybrid utility 10: Narrow Escape
Hybrid encounter 13: Letherna's Hounds (replaces Valorous Smite)

ITEMS
Magic Warplate Armor +4, Vicious Scimitar +3, Rhythm Blade Parrying dagger +3, Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor (paragon tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Cloak of Distortion +3, Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

What can u say about this built

Breaks

First Post
I'm a big fan of hybrids whose primary and secondary stats are mirrored, rather than the same, such as a DEX/WIS Ranger|Seeker, or a CHA/CON Ardent|Battlemind (both of which work rather well).

To fill out a party of 4 with the 2/2/2/2 requirement, I would use the two above, a STR/CHA Barbarian|Cleric, and an INT/CON Swordmage|Wizard.

In terms of how they build/play:
Ardent|Battlemind - can be built to primary either role, largely swinging on the ardent level 1 at-will selection. Energizing Strike is near-at-will healing or at-will THP, while Intent Laid Bare fixes the battlemind's lack of a MBA. Can take a THP granting utility power at every utility level, and many of the ardent dailies are better by far on a defender chassis. All power points should be spent on Lightning Rush, which doesnt care if or who has a target marked, it's going to punish it anyway.

Ranger|Seeker - loses next to no striking capacity, though how much you lose depends on level and hybrid talent choice. Most seeker control is relatively weak, and ranger archer control is surprisingly strong, when you evaluate their powers on that scale instead of a DPR scale. Goodies you want include Twin Strike, Biting Swarm, Invigorating Stride, Disruptive Strike, Swirling Arrows, Feyjump Shot, and Feywild Jaunt.

Barbarian|Cleric - primarily a striker, but has room for several extra heals via cleric utils. Thaneborn brings some nifty leadery riders, while Thunderborn can accent a cleric's control secondary.

Swordmage|Wizard is a lesson in why many people view defenders as a specialized subset of controllers. Effective at any range, whether it's being focused or ignored. Ideal tactic: mark something that you can't prevent from engaging the party, lock down several mobs with your best control effect, preventing them from joining the fun, and then move adjacent to a mob other than the one you marked.

Raith5

Adventurer
I am playing a 16th level hybrid Ranger/Cleric (DEX/WIS) of the Raven Queen. Standard actions are mostly bow attacks (apart from one encounter cleric close burst and one daily cleric close burst) and minors are for healing effects. Most dailys and encounters are ranger powers/ most utility powers are cleric ones. I also have lots of out of turn attacks. Very effective.

Personally I think the best way to approach a hybrid PC is to make a choice which class/role you are going to focus on - and bring in the second hybrid class not not overtly weaken that role. In my Ranger/Cleric I am mostly a striker and only marginally less damaging that a pure ranger, but I have a secondlary ability to heal which does not get in the way of the striking (because I mostly only use my minors to do my healing).

Last edited:

Remove ads