• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid Monk/Ranger

Karmic_vegeance

First Post
I could be looking at ~ 23 points of damage against a single target just using at-wills (Quarry + Move + Twin Strike + Flurry of Blows).
If this is indeed the turn structure you're looking for, it's not going to work. A hybrid monk can only use their flurry of blows after hitting with a monk or monk paragon path power. A hybrid ranger can only apply their quarry damage after hitting with a ranger power. So, if you use Twin Strike, you won't be able to use Flurry of Blows, and if you use a monk power instead you won't be able to apply Quarry damage.

This is why you'll need to focus on out-of-turn (or minor action) attacks from your ranger side, because without them, the only way you'll be able to apply both sides of your striker during one turn is if you action point.

Also, are you particularly attached to using unarmed attacks? I only ask because mechanically you can get the exact same effect from wielding a greatsword and using it as an implement for your monk powers - this saves you a feat and opens up your hybrid talent option. However, I will not deny the aesthetic appeal of a bare-fisted fighter - just know it's mechanically weaker.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Karmic_vengeance said:
If this is indeed the turn structure you're looking for, it's not going to work. A hybrid monk can only use their flurry of blows after hitting with a monk or monk paragon path power. A hybrid ranger can only apply their quarry damage after hitting with a ranger power.

Huh. I was going with the idea that a monk's unarmed strike is a "monk power," given that it's a monk class feature, but I suppose that's no more true than any class's proficiency being considered the class's power (rangers get military weapon proficiency, but I imagine hitting with a short sword isn't enough to be considered a "ranger power" either).

This DOES up the value of minor-action attack powers (Off-Hand Strike or Ruffling Sting). I could Quarry -> Monk Attack -> Flurry, and then on my next round, Ranger Minor Attack -> Monk Attack -> Quarry Damage + Flurry. Couldn't do that all day long, what with the minor attack being an Encounter power...still...

Anyway, "no flurry on ranger powers" hits my damage in the junk pretty fiercely. Quarry is just not as good of a striker mechanic. My ranger powers will deal more damage than my monk powers, overall, though.

Also, are you particularly attached to using unarmed attacks? I only ask because mechanically you can get the exact same effect from wielding a greatsword and using it as an implement for your monk powers - this saves you a feat and opens up your hybrid talent option.

I am attached to the visual of "lots and lots of attacks," but not necessarily unarmed attacks. My original build was trying to use a gythka (and I am still tempted to get it at a later level and re-train some stuff), but I figured, for damage potential, my feats were better spent on the unarmed strikes, since that also helps my "lots and lots of attacks" idea (almost any unarmed attack can be re-fluffed into "a furry of claws" without too much trouble...harder with a greatsword).

The goal is to get multiple attack rolls that I can use flexibly. Monk helps me hit a wide area, Ranger helps me do the two or more straight attack rolls. Thri-kreen helps with that, too (its racial attack is a minor action).

...starting to think if maybe multiclassing is better....hmmm.

Last edited:

Karmic_vegeance

First Post
Well if you really felt like it, you could grab Two-weapon Fighting with your hybrid talent feat, and bastard sword proficiency with your second feat. This gets you the same dual-wielding +3 d10 weapons, and you get Toughness as a bonus feat. However, then you're playing the all-too-common dual-bastard sword wielding two-weapon ranger.

Mapache

Explorer
Anyway, "no flurry on ranger powers" hits my damage in the junk pretty fiercely. Quarry is just not as good of a striker mechanic. My ranger powers will deal more damage than my monk powers, overall, though.

This is why Hybrid Striker-Strikers don't really work very well. In general, Strikers and Controllers need to use their Standard Action to do their schtick. Defenders and Leaders mostly use Minor and Immediate Actions to do theirs. (Hybrid Fighters being the exception, as they need to use their Standard Action on Fighter attacks in order to Mark.) If you're hybridizing, you generally want to pick one from the first set and one from the second set (though double Defenders and Defender-Leaders can work pretty well, too).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It looks like the Monastic Disciple feat gives me all the flurry I need without hybriding Monk per se. I can still get the Flurry of Blows, and I can still thus occasionally damage up to 4 creatures per combat (which is the main goal), using Twin Strike + Flurry + Action Point or Encounter Power, and I can pretty much always do at least three, and add Quarry damage to one of 'em. I'll miss out on the extra sauce of a four-armed flurry, but eh...

If I do that, I can grab the Gythka, too, to complete the "I AM A THRI-KREEN EVERYBODY, HEY!" image...though it doesn't look like the CB is properly applying my proficiency there...or do I actually need to wield two weapons and a double-weapon doesn't work?

Might it be worth it to consider hybriding Fighter instead for some of the tempest powers? I'm basically a sucker for anything giving me multiple attack rolls against one or more targets at this point. Fighter would also help shore up my defenses (Leather armor, at least, and Hide Armor if I don't mind the penalty...plus extra HP!), and we won't NEED me for marking, since we have a Warden already, so that whole niggling "only your fighter powers can mark" gibberish isn't a dealbreaker.

Perhaps unrelated question: As a Genasi, I can't choose a Dark Sun manifestation as my Extra Manifestation. Bug or RAW?

Last edited:

Remove ads