Hybrid Paladin Warlock Suggestions

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I wasn't that interested in kiting or in forcing the DC damage as something the foe couldn't avoid. The DC damage for a Hybrid Paladin is 3 less than a standard Paladin, so it was more icing on the cake than anything else.

I was more interested in getting in the face of the foe, but making his counterattack hard to hit, or his attack on someone else at a penalty. It would be nice to find something like Daunting Challenge, but for a Paladin instead of a Fighter. The issue with taking a Hybrid Fighter/Warlock is that the mark only applies to Fighter attacks (and of course, getting to Plate armor requires a second feat).

I had a character idea for a warlock knight of Vaasa and figured it'd have to be a paladin/warlock hybrid. Then they came out with the Star Pact Hexblade and that worked great for what I wanted.

Based on what you wanted I think it probably wouldn't fill all of your requirements but what about a Hexblade (Star Pact?) with a Defender multiclass for your concept? As a human you could get Eyebite as your third at-will and offensively you're really nice. You'd only be able to mark once per encounter and wouldn't have a paladin's AC (although Rod Expertise would help to narrow the discrepancy.) but thematically it may fit the bill for you like it does for me.

jbear

First Post
How does a paladin-warlock make any sense in your campaigns?
I haven't nor will I ever get a chance to play my build (alas) so I haven't made any background information.

But just thinking of the combination of powers chosen and background lets make up something now:

The Cursed One never received a name. His mother died hours after his birth due to a fatal hemorrhage. The midwife attending her said that she didn't speak a word during those too short hours, after she saw the horrible scarlet birth marks that disfigured his face, hands and arms, she also refused to hold him. It was the same day that Farmer Frank's milk soured mysteriously and a wild dog massacred Polly Baker's best egg laying hens. It was the same day that Roy Smith was kicked while shoeing a horse and Aaron Butcher discovered all of his meat was riddled with strange luminescent worms. A terrible wind howled through the village that same day destroying the Orchard's prize cherry trees and tearing the chapel bell tower down upon the statue of Margot Volffenstein, the town's proud founder. And that same fateful night the star appeared in the sky above the village.

The villagers of Volfftain of course blamed this ill fated events upon the child, saying that surely it was a demon sent to meddle and harass them, a punishment brought upon them by his heathen mother's sinful lifestyle. Lord knows, no one even knew who the father was. After a town meeting it was decided that the child was a burden that noone in the town was prepared to suffer a moment longer. The child was sold for 12 silver pieces to a travelling knife salesman who left the town early the next day with two pints of sour milk donated by Farmer Frank. That next evening the star fell from the sky, obliterating Volfftain from the map and killing every townsperson within 3 miles of the impact site.

The knife salesman, seeing the flash caused by the tremendous impact from his hilly vantage point, saw a great business opportunity and returned to the charred remains of the village to aquire as much metal from the fallen star as he could safely stack on his knife wagon. The unnamed child's cries of hunger grew strangely quiet as Jack Knife stacked the metal up next to his improvised crib, comforted by the eerie whisperings that entered his head.

Jack the Knife grew ill and died months later after selling the metal for a tidy fortune in Watersdeep. The child was found wailing in the back of Jack's knife wagon out on the outskirts of town near the gypsy tents. He was sold for 30 gold pieces to the local assassin's guild.

As soon as he learnt to talk he was sent to the streets to beg. His training in the art of death began at the age of 7. While not a complete incompetent, he was not gifted. This lead to many severe and cruel beatings at the hands of his masters, frustrated by his inability to progress. He never made friends. The other children he trained with were scared of him, his strange eyes, his magnetic presence that made the hair on their arms stand on end. They'd never heard him speak to anyone, but he was constantly whispering in a hushed tone to himself. The beatings finally ended after the boy received a particularly severe beating from one the the strictest and most feared masters, Ren Twofingers. Quite suddenly the boy turned to face his master, his eyes glowing with an intense radiant fire and screamed -Stop! All the boys who were witness to the event said that Twofingers left the room shaking, without saying a word. The next morning Twofingers was found dead in his bed, his heart had stopped. Every person who had witnessed the confrontation grew chronically ill and died within a week. The boy was sold to Harekk Hellfire, a tiefling of the Crimson Legion, a month later for the handsome sum of 1000 gold pieces.

The Cursed One, that is what he had be called when sold, and Harekk thought that the description was a fitting one. He told the boy that he should wear the insults of others proudly and that the day would come when when he would find a name, or a name would find him. For the first time in his life he was offered acceptance, patientience, friendship and guidance. His innate powers, connected with mysterious, alien powers originating from the fallen star, were known to the brotherhood. The star was connected to Ulban the Messenger, who marked the child as a Key Piece, one who would play a hand in ensuring the continued existence of the Cosmos. These powers were slowly and carefully brought under control and nurtured. His training with sword and heavy armour instilled in him a strict discipline, a code to follow and use to focus his wandering mind. While his body was not strong, his desire to achieve his benevolent teachers' approval was such that he mastered the weight of his weapons through sheer force of will, which burned far brighter in the boy than most. Kord strengthened his arm, Ioun enlightened his mind.

When then time came that his teachers became brothers and peers, the Cursed One set forth into the world in search of a name.

Last edited:

shamsael

First Post
My Lockadin is pure melee and uses the warlock facets that most resemble defender abilities.

I start with armor proficiency as my hybrid talent.

For at wills, I do bolstering strike and eldritch strike (basically a tide of iron).

Armor of Agathys is a pretty good level 1 daily for a defender.

My third at-will is the infernal pact one. I don't use it, it's just there so at paragon tier I can pick up Infernal pact as my bonus hybrid talent for more temp HPs.

I've also done a very similar Warlock/Battlemind in Dark Sun.
The downside is that I use up a lot of minor actions between the divine challenge and reckless curse.

Mapache

Explorer
My third at-will is the infernal pact one. I don't use it, it's just there so at paragon tier I can pick up Infernal pact as my bonus hybrid talent for more temp HPs.

Note that these days, Infernal Pact has a choice of at-wills between Hellish Rebuke and the Charisma-based Gift to Avernus, so you can still have a useful at-will even with a low Con.

Remove ads