Hypothetical question for 3pp: 5e goes OGL what would you publish?

Alphastream

Adventurer
It's not the "generation of new" part of evolution that I think the OGL supports - it's the "fitness for purpose" part. Good evolution relies on two pillars - mutation (i.e. introduction of new ideas) and natural selection. The creator killing off old designs because they are inconvenient to their business plan is NOT in any sense "natural". Once made, creative products should be left available to thrive or die on their own merits - that is the basis of evolution. And it is what the OGL promotes. The tragedy of 4E will be if, instead of being left available to continue or wither according to its continued popularity it is made unavailable and arbitrarily "killed" to make way for DDN.
You made some really great points in your response. I really enjoyed reading them and mulling them over, thanks! To the above, I have issues with "inconvenient to their business plan". Every responsible company has business plans. Every company should want profit and most should want to grow. Customers should want companies in their hobby to grow. I wish upon every RPG company plenty of growth and profit, because that grows our hobby. But, the RPG model has so far shown that after a while we see stagnation. Every RPG wrestles with the problem that each successive book will see declining interest. Out of 1,000 gamers, 500 might like the core book. Only 200 might care for the DM book. Of those 200, only 160 might like the book on undead. And only 100 might like the book on a forest setting. RPG companies wrestle with that, because it is a cycle that kills business. With 3E, that cycle had fully played out. And the customer base was already seeing Wizards as having pressed too far with 3.5 on top of 3.0. Only an outside competitor could, under the very true auspices of "you don't have to leave 3E", update the rules and republish everything. That was key. Now it wasn't evil WotC republishing our game for money-grubbing reasons, it was Paizo swooping in to republish our game so we could keep playing the edition.

The same is true for 4E. It's a complete edition. While we can each consider a book or two that could be added, or a setting, all of those would have very poor sales. Wizards did try to reinvigorate the edition with Essentials, but that clearly did not work. (Could it have? Maybe. WotC certainly mismanaged and mis-marketed Essentials - any time you have to constantly explain what it is, it was poorly done.) I really don't think the chances are high that 3E or 4E could have been successfully relaunched, or that enough interesting material could have been added to keep the company afloat. (And we should all want WotC to remain afloat).

If 3.x was dying it seems to me it was because WotC wasn't being imaginitive about where they could take it. Paizo have done a bang-up job in that department.
They have. But as I wrote above, I don't think the issue was a lack of imagination. After all, look at how incredibly creative 4E was! It was the most radical reinvisioning of D&D ever and a deliberate attempt to change everything problematic about previous editions. Wouldn't work for everyone, of course (no edition does), but the WotC staff did not at all lack in imagination. (We could perhaps also talk about how Skills & Powers didn't reinvigorate 2E's flagging sales and how Book of Nine Swords did not reinvigorate 3.5's sales. Visionary products don't seem to save an aging line. The same will most likely be true of Pathfinder some day... we already see many repeated books with diminishing returns... one Paizo designer said at a recent convention "I wasn't sure I could find something interesting to write, but the book ended up pretty cool." That's a sure sign of those diminishing returns.)

Last edited:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
If 3.x was dying it seems to me it was because WotC wasn't being imaginitive about where they could take it. Paizo have done a bang-up job in that department.

This I really doubt. If WotC would have applied the same changes to the 3.5 corpus as Paizo did, they would have had three options. Either sell it as one or more add-ons ("Power-up Classes", "Revised Combat") or make a new (sub-)edition (3.75), or in the form of new printings of the core books and perhaps offering changes as free downloads. In neither case could WotC have been giving the "good guy" comparable to Paizo, the "saviour of D&D".

Balesir

Adventurer
You made some really great points in your response. I really enjoyed reading them and mulling them over, thanks!
Thanks for acknowledging them! My arguments are far from perfect, but they have a core about which I have thought reasonably deeply.

To the above, I have issues with "inconvenient to their business plan". Every responsible company has business plans. Every company should want profit and most should want to grow. Customers should want companies in their hobby to grow. I wish upon every RPG company plenty of growth and profit, because that grows our hobby.
Maybe the wording I chose was a little brutal, there ;)

Of course all companies need not just a business plan but a coherent business model that will generate profit commensurate with their capitalisation (or better). I think, however, that Walter White can offer us a lesson (several, actually) about business. Just because something is convenient for an easy business plan doesn't mean it's a good idea. Robbing a bank would, after all, be a quick and effective way to get a capital injection - but it has serious downsides... I'm naturalised to living in Yorkshire these days - we say what we mean bluntly and without ceremony up here! Cutting off fans of older products to "encourage" growth in the new one is, to some degree, a smart and effective business plan - but it has serious downsides, especially in the longer term, that I think make it a very poor one for the customer, for the market and, at the end of the day, for the health of the originating business.

But, the RPG model has so far shown that after a while we see stagnation. Every RPG wrestles with the problem that each successive book will see declining interest. Out of 1,000 gamers, 500 might like the core book. Only 200 might care for the DM book. Of those 200, only 160 might like the book on undead. And only 100 might like the book on a forest setting. RPG companies wrestle with that, because it is a cycle that kills business. With 3E, that cycle had fully played out.
ONE RPG model has shown that. I don't accept that this is the only available business model for RPGs. It may be a productive one in the short term, but I think it sows (has sown) the seeds of its own destruction.

Other models have been tried and have proved at least marginally effective. WotC itself, before it struck M:tGold, had one going with The Primal Order line. Steve Jackson Games and Chaosium have others that don't rely entirely on expanding player options and an edition treadmill (even though SJG gets *this* close...) Oh, and take a look at Columbia Games and Kelestia Productions with Hârn - a very different kettle of fish, for sure!

And the customer base was already seeing Wizards as having pressed too far with 3.5 on top of 3.0. Only an outside competitor could, under the very true auspices of "you don't have to leave 3E", update the rules and republish everything. That was key. Now it wasn't evil WotC republishing our game for money-grubbing reasons, it was Paizo swooping in to republish our game so we could keep playing the edition.
That helped Paizo, for sure, but I think there was another way - more below.

The same is true for 4E. It's a complete edition. While we can each consider a book or two that could be added, or a setting, all of those would have very poor sales. Wizards did try to reinvigorate the edition with Essentials, but that clearly did not work. (Could it have? Maybe. WotC certainly mismanaged and mis-marketed Essentials - any time you have to constantly explain what it is, it was poorly done.) I really don't think the chances are high that 3E or 4E could have been successfully relaunched, or that enough interesting material could have been added to keep the company afloat. (And we should all want WotC to remain afloat).
Not immediately, perhaps - but see my expanded remarks below. I think 4E still has huge potential as a procedural system for adventuring play expanded way beyond what it currently covers.

But as I wrote above, I don't think the issue was a lack of imagination. After all, look at how incredibly creative 4E was! It was the most radical reinvisioning of D&D ever and a deliberate attempt to change everything problematic about previous editions. Wouldn't work for everyone, of course (no edition does), but the WotC staff did not at all lack in imagination. (We could perhaps also talk about how Skills & Powers didn't reinvigorate 2E's flagging sales and how Book of Nine Swords did not reinvigorate 3.5's sales. Visionary products don't seem to save an aging line. The same will most likely be true of Pathfinder some day... we already see many repeated books with diminishing returns... one Paizo designer said at a recent convention "I wasn't sure I could find something interesting to write, but the book ended up pretty cool." That's a sure sign of those diminishing returns.)
This I really doubt. If WotC would have applied the same changes to the 3.5 corpus as Paizo did, they would have had three options. Either sell it as one or more add-ons ("Power-up Classes", "Revised Combat") or make a new (sub-)edition (3.75), or in the form of new printings of the core books and perhaps offering changes as free downloads. In neither case could WotC have been giving the "good guy" comparable to Paizo, the "saviour of D&D".
These two posts really attacked the same point I made and it's a good observation that demands a full answer.

Over the last few days I have got around to reading (or, at least, starting to read) Robin Laws' "Hillfolk" game. In this game he expands in a practical game-system way on the thoughts he put forth in his "Hamlet's Hit Points". Some of his thought I am finding quite profound; here, for example, is an excerpt from a part ot the introduction he titles "Why This Game Exists":

"Scenes in stories can be divided into two categories: procedural and dramatic. In a procedural scene, the characters confront and overcome external obstacles. They fight opponents, conduct chases, investigate mysteries, explore unfamiliar environments, and so on. When they succeed by talking to others, it is by negotiating with characters who exert no particular emotional hold over them, over practical matters.

In a dramatic scene, the main characters confront internal obstacles, seeking emotional reward from people they care deeply about, for good or ill.

Historically, roleplaying games have concentrated on procedural action, giving short shrift to dramatic interplay. They’re based on adventure genres, which focus on the external over the internal."

Now, I'm not going to suggest that D&D, or any other RPG, should start covering those "dramatic" scenes as a focus and impinging on Hillfolks' turf. I believe strongly in focus and clear design intent in RPGs, and D&D's focus and strength has always lain in the procedural (and I could define it further, but now's not the time). But, by "lack of imagination" in my previous post what I really meant was "unwillingness to look at the game in a little wider a context - in a broader way".

Toes have been dipped in waters the odd time. Birthright gave us "Realm Play" rules that were, in themselves, elegant and remarkable. Sadly they were never integrated too successfully with the "adventuring" rules, in my view, making the game just a little bit incoherent (in a non-Forge-y way).

Imagine an alternate world where, instead of ditching 3.x and the OGL, WotC had:

a) Gone ahead and made 4E; it was too good in many ways to miss and they had some really radical and effective solutions to the problems of 3.x with adventure play.

b) But, while doing this, they kept 3.x in print (without much new material) and supported by Dungeon and Dragon (maybe even with a few articles from staffers contributed).

c) As 4E rolled out, "conversions" and ways to incorporate 4E's more "old edition fitting" ideas are published - either in the magazines or as add-ons for 3.x.

d) Both 3.x and 4E are expanded (with optional, modular material) to cover all sorts of other "procedural" scenes (according to Robin Laws' categorisation). The rigour of 4E brought to tense negotiations or paranoid exploration could be great! And the modules could be made to fit reasonably (with a bit of tweaking - more magazine articles) with 3.x (and maybe earlier editions, although the lack of a sound underlying structure might hinder, there).

e) Eventually, by modules and variants, 3.5 could actually be revised as Paizo has done, by WotC.

f) Adventures and settings could be published that can suit all editions - with "Cliff notes" about differences and modifications needed for each edition.

The overall aim is to generate an ecosystem of game systems and game components that feed back to teach the designers what works and what doesn't "in the wild" for each procedural area of the game. Where designers from competing companies are able to "mix and match" to create things that are faster, meaner and smarter than the systems that came before - as demonstrated by their longevity and prominence in the marketplace*.

Would all this need to be slower than the 4E development we saw? Yes, certainly. But the haste required was predicated partly on the need to torpedo 3.x anyway - with a tiny bit more 3.x support while 4E was in the works (and with development started ealier, too, most likely) that might have been less of a problem#. Was all this occasioned by the demand from Hasbro for higher, faster returns? Quite possibly; but that doesn't make it an impossible business plan - just a more moderate one.

*: Someone a while back mentioned WotC trying to get hold of the licensed marketplace - that strikes me as a pretty fair idea, provided the temptation to abuse the position is avoided (which would have the same deleterious effects as ditching the OGL would have).

#: Look at the time taken over DDN to see this, and consider that if the magazines had stayed with Paizo as OGL vehicles, using them to support 3.x as 4E was built would have required much less resource than has clearly proven too much for WotC during the current edition-switch...

Last edited:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
We will all have different reasons for liking/disliking a game, but 4E's accessibility was an attempt to grow the entire gaming hobby, not to throw you or anyone else out of it.

I'm not sure that it succeeded at doing the first but it did almost succeed at doing the second. But admittedly that was my fault as well. That's what I get for being almost unerringly loyal to a brand as opposed to the game.

What the OGL enabled was, for the first time, an option. You could remain on a previous edition and another company could support you, competing with the new edition and winning over those old customers. That's the huge change.

Which was, IMHO, a great, GREAT thing. Especially for a system like 3x where I used reliable 3rd party materials to kitbash rules and subsystems to get a game to exactly where I needed it to be. As opposed to building it all myself from scratch. All of the various settings like Scarred Lands and Bluffside were a boon. Things like Green Ronin's BOOK OF THE RIGHTEOUS were a big help. Granted it may have taken a little while to figure out the more reliable 3rd party companies (ENWORLD was a big help for this...) but once that happened the level of support, quality and variety was fantastic. But if you and the OGL opponents had/have your way the only place I would be able to get this material from would be WOTC.

When WotC went to 3E, if you didn't like it, you had to choose to just stay on existing material (and create your own) or accept the new edition.

I agree with the 1st thing that you said but the second thing? Well that's alien to me. Accept or play an edition that I dont like because why again? Everyone else is doing it? Isnt this supposed to be fun? Since when is playing a game that you dont like or care for fun. And please lets not go to the whole "youre doing it with freinds thing" because there are probably a bunch of other things you can be doing with your freinds that dont involve you playing a game that you dont like for a few hours.

Many of us hated a new edition but spent years on it because that was the better option. Support is a big deal (think of how exciting every Paizo release is).

Again this is alien to me. Spending years playing an edition that you hate sounds, quite frankly, ridiculous to me. I played 2nd edition and while it had some issues I didn't hate it. It was close enough to 1E where I could still use most of my older material to run the games that I liked. It was only until after Skills and Powers came out that I abandoned the system and really didn't look back for a long time. I really disliked Skills and Powers. So I stopped playing and running games.

My gaming group largely despised 2E, but we all purchased a metric ton of 2E material and freely intermixed 2E into our 1E games for years.

Wow. EDIT: I needed to clarify here. I only say "WOW" because this is very similar to what I did with my group. Except I saw it as intergrating/intermixing 1E into 2E. Not vices versa. Not that it makes a huge difference either way...

I didn't at first like 3E, but to play organized play I had to. I came to absolutely love it for many years.
This sounds like Helsinke Syndrome to me. Also I despise Organize Play, but I see now why you may have stuck with a system that you didnt care for. Still I'd just as soon as not play than play a game that I dont like or hate or despise.

The OGL made that an entirely different process. Had the OGL existed when I was a 1E fan, it could have kept me from ever benefiting from what 2E and 3E had to offer. That would have been a shame, and a big loss for TSR/WotC.

But didnt you dislike and hate those systems? I'm confused here. Because you learned to like them through sheer sutbborness to support the brand? Again, not my cup of tea here. If I'm spending my money on a hobby I at least want it to be something that I like and am having fun doing. I dont want to suffer through it just for the sake of brand loyalty.

You misunderstand me. I love gaming in all shapes and forms. There is no wrong way to game and I'm glad to hear about anyone who finds a reason to stay a gamer. But, the OGL was problematic for WotC. WotC should want to be successful and should very carefully consider any OGL for D&D Next.

Youre right I really dont understand you. You say that there is no wrong way to game. But you're basically for limiting what other people want to play by eliminating or limiting the OGL. You want people to basically either play the latest version of D&D or something completely different. Because if people are allowed to stay playing whatever version that they like that takes away from WOTC and the brand and that's bad? How is that bad for me as a consumer and gamer? Because I gotta tell you, I've been doing just fine spending my money elsewhere and playing what I want to play. Happily and not hating or despising it.

Last edited:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
The same will most likely be true of Pathfinder some day...

Agreed.

we already see many repeated books with diminishing returns...
"Many repeated books with diminishing returns?" Aside from the Bestiaries what books are these? Because overall Paizo is putting out FEWER hardcover books than WOTC did during the 3x era.

They're basically releasing 3 Hardcovers a year (I'm pretty positive that it's not more than 3) on of those books is almost always a Bestiary. But there was one year where they released an NPC Codex in lieu of another monster book. There's a rule book (along the lines of APG, UC, UM) and something odd like Mythic Adventures or Ultimate Campaign.

one Paizo designer said at a recent convention "I wasn't sure I could find something interesting to write, but the book ended up pretty cool." That's a sure sign of those diminishing returns.)

Name or quote and in what context please. Otherwise this just seems like a random swipe at Paizo and their staff.

Alphastream

Adventurer
Imagine an alternate world where, instead of ditching 3.x and the OGL, WotC had

I love the ideas. BUT, what you propose all rests on 3E pulling in enough sales to merit the approach. It is highly unlikely that it could have. The diminishing returns were already there on 3E. The Book of Nine Swords was already out. It was clear that the edition was done for WotC. They didn't need to print more copies of existing material, because the material was already sitting around all over the place. You can get pristine copies of just about any late-3E material... never played and cheap!

The OGL adds to the misery. Try to support both and you further encourage your base not to try out your new edition.

And every RPG company struggles with the now vs the new. Most small RPG companies can barely handle creating a few short adventures and sourcebooks for their main line and then also adding a second line. Most successful small-medium companies (Evil Hat is a good example) talk constantly about the difficulty of managing many freelancers on several projects across a couple of product lines. At the large RPG companies (Wizards, Paizo), it is a major undertaking to deliver on the quality expectations of the market. A single gameday adventure takes months of coordination and planning, writing, developing, editing, layout, and production... even when it isn't a for-sale product! The result is great quality and a vastly (in most cases) offering, but it takes significant resources. Follow the tweets of designers like Paizo's Logan Bonner and we can hear them talk about how much they have to do to keep things going.

It's an even bigger challenge to try to also overlap with a new edition. We see WotC 'crying uncle' and letting their online magazines lie fallow while they finish up Next, and they have the most resources in the industry. But the cost of not doing so is too high. Everything rides on that new edition.

You said that diminishing returns and new editions isn't the only way, but has there been a major RPG that truly did well with a different model for more than a decade?

I hear you on the magazines, as it was clearly painful for WotC to create a proper publishing process. The idea to bring the magazines in-house could have been an assessment on costs (which could easily have been a bad idea profit-wise) at a time when they were changing the whole format anyway, but likely were heavily due to a desire to move away from the OGL model and control content. The benefit has been that the magazines have created 100% official content that really did work tremendously well with the rules rather than constantly being at odds with them. Further, there has been great value to WotC from having the intelligence inside. There was a time when I wasn't confident WotC understood its own game. I would speak to designers and they had never heard of things that every gamer was wrestling with. That wasn't at all a problem with the mid and late stages of 4E's lifecycle, though it was a huge problem with 3E and early 4E. It has resulted in great relationships between freelancers and the company. Rob Schawlb is an obvious choice, but also a host of lesser known guys. Both Paizo and WotC now have great ways of identifying talent and continually assessing the cream of the crop. That's a great benefit.

Balesir

Adventurer
I love the ideas. BUT, what you propose all rests on 3E pulling in enough sales to merit the approach. It is highly unlikely that it could have. The diminishing returns were already there on 3E. The Book of Nine Swords was already out. It was clear that the edition was done for WotC. They didn't need to print more copies of existing material, because the material was already sitting around all over the place. You can get pristine copies of just about any late-3E material... never played and cheap!
That's true that you can find them - but I wouldn't call them cheap, at least not here in the UK. Plus - since some of the proposed moves I list are actually being developed by WotC now - there are the "Premium" versions available (with errata included).

But the whole thing is a bit of "wishes for fishes" thing anyway - we are where we are and WotC didn't go down the "live and let live" route. To do so might arguably have called for starting on 4E earlier (but did I hear something about an earlier start that actually was aborted and restarted? I may be wrong on that). But, just as now, 3E pulling in enough sales was not an actual hard limitation with M:tG filling the cash cow role. It was "necessary" only in the minds of those directing the business plan due to their assumed world-view. A different business plan would have required a different set of expectations and assumptions, naturally.

The OGL adds to the misery. Try to support both and you further encourage your base not to try out your new edition.
But that's the natural state of play in a competitive market, anyway! You compete with what is already available - that's business! Imagine if a different company had made 4E - or if D&D hadn't had a dominant position in the market at the time 4E was released. In that circumstance 4E would have had to compete with 3.x; that's the "natural" way of things. The fact that WotC could frig the market because they held a dominant position (though perhaps not as dominant as they assumed!) was the oddity, here - not the possibility that 4E might have to compete with what was already available on a reasonably even playing field.

And every RPG company struggles with the now vs the new. Most small RPG companies can barely handle creating a few short adventures and sourcebooks for their main line and then also adding a second line. Most successful small-medium companies (Evil Hat is a good example) talk constantly about the difficulty of managing many freelancers on several projects across a couple of product lines. At the large RPG companies (Wizards, Paizo), it is a major undertaking to deliver on the quality expectations of the market. A single gameday adventure takes months of coordination and planning, writing, developing, editing, layout, and production... even when it isn't a for-sale product! The result is great quality and a vastly (in most cases) offering, but it takes significant resources. Follow the tweets of designers like Paizo's Logan Bonner and we can hear them talk about how much they have to do to keep things going.
Yeah, life is tough when you have to compete on even terms. Who knew? ;)

It's an even bigger challenge to try to also overlap with a new edition. We see WotC 'crying uncle' and letting their online magazines lie fallow while they finish up Next, and they have the most resources in the industry. But the cost of not doing so is too high. Everything rides on that new edition.
If they had left the 'zines with Paizo the effort would have been much reduced - the occasional article and teasers for the new edition instead of all the hassle of publishing.

You said that diminishing returns and new editions isn't the only way, but has there been a major RPG that truly did well with a different model for more than a decade?
That depends what you mean by "did well". The Core-Splats-New Edition model is a short-term bubble model; it has booms (and busts). But there are several companies that have been doing OK - keeping a product line going in a low-key way with decent (but not stellar) sales, enough to keep the business going for year after year. Pelgrane Press started in 1999 and have a very nice stable of systems and some established writers associated with them. Atlas Games have been around since at least 2004 and have a nice portfolio. Steve Jackson Games still has GURPS and a range around that. Columbia Games have been publishing Hârn Materials solidly since 1983; sure, they are not a market leader (nor likely to become one), but longevity has to count for something in a single brand, surely? Solid, long term quality with open products (GURPS can be used for many genres/settings, Hârn can be used with many game systems) and a committment to the customers is not a "sexy" way to do business - but it's one that lasts and it's one I am increasingly enamoured by as a customer.

I hear you on the magazines, as it was clearly painful for WotC to create a proper publishing process. The idea to bring the magazines in-house could have been an assessment on costs (which could easily have been a bad idea profit-wise) at a time when they were changing the whole format anyway, but likely were heavily due to a desire to move away from the OGL model and control content. The benefit has been that the magazines have created 100% official content that really did work tremendously well with the rules rather than constantly being at odds with them. Further, there has been great value to WotC from having the intelligence inside.
OK, but intelligence can be bought - quite possibly for less than it would cost to run the magazine operation (especially including setup costs, as you highlight).

I think the main driver was probably the desire to eliminate support for 3e - and I think that was a bad move.

There was a time when I wasn't confident WotC understood its own game. I would speak to designers and they had never heard of things that every gamer was wrestling with. That wasn't at all a problem with the mid and late stages of 4E's lifecycle, though it was a huge problem with 3E and early 4E. It has resulted in great relationships between freelancers and the company. Rob Schawlb is an obvious choice, but also a host of lesser known guys. Both Paizo and WotC now have great ways of identifying talent and continually assessing the cream of the crop. That's a great benefit.
I agree that feedback from the marketplace was sorely needed (and apparently lacking) in WotC during 3E and early 4E - but you say yourself that Paizo has achieved the same 'connection' as WotC has, now, so it clearly isn't an issue connected to the OGL. In fact, I could argue that the tendency of WotC to be insular while the OGL was active was a major part of their problem with managing the OGL.

It's funny that the design team trumpeted that they started on the DDN process by going back and playing old editions of D&D; with or without OGL supplements, I wonder? And what about the OSR? Surely, professional game designers should be encouraged at all times to be aware of and conversant with the "state of the art"? Feedback from the customers can be crucial, here, certainly - but the design team should still be trying out what the competition are coming out with, it seems to me. In this respect, swapping of staff back and forth between game companies is a good thing, not a "problem".

Plagiarism - of a sort - is a natural and even desirable part of any creative business. The line between "using the best state of the art" and "ripping off someone else's product" is a narrow one, but one where a fair degree of precedent exists to guide us*. Let standards arise, let licensing become considered normal and grow more relaxed and let natural (but not manic) competition have its head and I think you'll see a more healthy market, a more healthy hobby and a more healthy set of companies in the RPG "industry".

*: That's not to say that I don't think the legal structures and processes around IP aren't in dire need of reform, both here in Europe and (even more so) in the USA. Big companies can get away with far too much these days without the case ever being tried in court (which most likely would and should go poorly for them if it were actually to happen).

Last edited:

Alphastream

Adventurer
But if you and the OGL opponents had/have your way the only place I would be able to get this material from would be WOTC.
With 4E there has been a wealth of content, both official and unofficial. While the unofficial material has mostly been fan-generated, it has at times been incredibly useful and influential. I've met tons of DMs that transformed their campaigns or adventures based on free material online, all while still buying official content. The best example of this may be Fourthcore, significant enough to be called a 'movement' by many. While what it brought forth wasn't always for everyone, it influenced most 4E gamers in some way. For me, a reminder of the classic feel of older adventures (absent too often in published 3E and 4E adventures) where adventuring held a palpable sense of mystery, discovery, and danger. I could go on, but suffice to say that non-WotC material was/is widely available online and significant in nature. Sure, there weren't many officially published for-sale third-party products. Most of us didn't need them with all of the very good official content.

Something interesting to note is how 4E measurably improved over time. Though others have claimed we needed outside influences to achieve change (and thus an OGL), Wizards made tremendous improvements and innovations to the line over time. Compare the far superior Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium to the previous Adventurer's Vault, the superior Monster Vaults to the earlier Monster Manuals, and the Gardmore Abbey adventure to previous adventures.

The idea behind not having an OGL isn't to make life for gamers worse. It is simply that, look, life was just fine without one, the benefits of one are minor, and the downsides to the company and even the hobby are considerable. Those downsides to the hobby include having third parties overly focused on a single game, rather than out creating their own cool RPGs or system neutral material. With Paizo, for example, the number of monsters is staggering. It's really okay for third parties to stop making new monsters and create system neutral material with how we could use existing monsters in better ways, or just go create their own games. That's how we end up with Dungeon World and 13th Age and other innovations instead of a "d20 complete guide to (insert name of obscure monster here)".

Accept or play an edition that I dont like because why again?
Because, generally, it takes gamers a while to like a new edition. It took me a while to like 3E. When I had played enough 3E to burn out, I was still resistant to what I saw in 4E. But, I gave it a try and started to see why it was a very fun and excellent edition. Previous to the OGL, 99% of gamers would stick with a new edition and try it out, learning its positive qualities and usually getting hooked. We saw with 4E plenty of gamers call it an MMO and refuse to even try it. They could do that in part because the OGL enabled competitors to keep adding new material to an old edition - a massive sea change for DnD. Facilitating ways for your customer base to stay on an old edition is brutal in an industry where you have to launch new editions to have a chance to be profitable.

This sounds like Helsinke Syndrome to me. Also I despise Organize Play, but I see now why you may have stuck with a system that you didnt care for. Still I'd just as soon as not play than play a game that I dont like or hate or despise.
To add perspective, I didn't like Skills and Powers. I saw it as pure power-gaming and a distortion of what I liked. I wanted to refuse myself from even trying 3E because of my "principles". But, I wanted to play organized play living campaigns and therefore gave it a chance. It won me over very quickly. BUT, it was critical that I didn't have something pulling me away. I didn't have a competitor offering me lots of fresh 1E content. Moving forward made sense, so I gave the edition a try long enough to learn that I had been wrong and that my "principles" were compatible with this game. I've learned a lot over the years - I'm not resistant to change these days and I give new games far more of a chance to sink their teeth into me rather than dismissing something outright based on a preconceived notion of what I do and don't like.

Speaking of that, you really should give organized play another chance. It has changed a lot on the Wizards side. Events like Vault of the Dracolich and Candlekeep have brought some of the best of organized play excitement without the "old grognard network" or other issues that hurt living campaigns. It's good fun DnD. (I'm a co-author for both of the ones I mentioned, so I'm biased, but I also think the upcoming Legacy of the Crystal Shard launch event is a really fun introductory gameday adventure).

But didnt you dislike and hate those systems? I'm confused here. Because you learned to like them through sheer sutbborness to support the brand? Again, not my cup of tea here. If I'm spending my money on a hobby I at least want it to be something that I like and am having fun doing. I dont want to suffer through it just for the sake of brand loyalty.
Hate may be too strong a word. I had preconceived notions and preferences. Everyone does. I had the choice of accepting them so I could have new content, or sticking to just my old edition content. Having new content is huge, so I would dip my toes in the water. Before you knew it, I would end up being a fan. (With 3E and 4E, a huge fan. With 2E, a fan of much of the supplemental material). An OGL changes that. It makes it so I have an incentive to never leave my current state (because there is fresh material) and never test/challenge my preconceptions and preferences.

Youre right I really dont understand you. You say that there is no wrong way to game. But you're basically for limiting what other people want to play by eliminating or limiting the OGL
Hopefully I've made myself clearer. The OGL is actually what creates limits!
- If the OGL isn't good for a company, then they shouldn't have one. They have a necessity to be profitable, and we should want that for them because it is good for the hobby.
- If the OGL encourages third parties to churn out content (especially poor content) for a single game, then the OGL is hurting the game by creating a glut of content and lowering the overall quality of the game.
- If the OGL prevents gamers from giving new editions a fair chance, then it is a problem for the company and even for gamers. Gamers should be open to new games and are usually better off trying many games rather than settling into a single game/edition for perpetuity.
- If the OGL encourages multiple versions of DnD, that can create a hobby where the top games are DnD, DnD, DnD, etc. That isn't good for the hobby. It is a stronger game when companies are creating real challenges in the form of different games with real innovation. Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu, Legend of the Five Rings, FIASCO, FATE, Numenera... those are different systems that truly innovate and grow the hobby.
- Freelancers are better off writing for a variety of systems than for a single OGL-based system. They will be better over time if they write a FIASCO playset, FATE adventure, and an article for Dragon.

Alphastream

Adventurer
"Many repeated books with diminishing returns?" Aside from the Bestiaries what books are these? Because overall Paizo is putting out FEWER hardcover books than WOTC did during the 3x era.
I don't know how the volume will compare over time, but Paizo publishes at a healthy clip. We've had Adventure Paths based on desert, ice, sea, pirates, undead, Asian nations... I'm sure I'm forgetting a few tropes, but at some point we've hit most people's preferences. We've had obvious and non-obvious new classes. We've gone beyond the core mythological creatures and into the weird. We've published books with names like "Ultimate" and "Advanced". It's very similar to Complete Arcane and Complete Mage, or Player's Handbook II. What's beyond Advanced? What's Beyond Ultimate? The way diminishing returns works, you already had some who would say, "look, I don't need an Ultimate Equipment Guide, I've got plenty of equipment." The market becomes really small for something like "Super Ultimate Equipment Guide". That's diminishing returns.

Take a look at this incredible poll results page. It's a poll run on Chris Perkins' awesome The Dungeon Master Experience series. He asked readers (primarily DMs) which books they liked. We can see clear diminishing sales. The DMG has 3.8% that don't express an opinion or don't own it. The DMG 2, 17%. Monster Manual 1: 5.6%, 2: 15.7%, 3: 19.3%, MV: 31.9%, MV:NV: 44.6%. The results are the same for any line of books, including ones that are drastically better toward the end (as with Monster Vault: Nentir Vale).

Name or quote and in what context please. Otherwise this just seems like a random swipe at Paizo and their staff.
I can't, because they are a friend.

Alphastream

Adventurer
That's true that you can find them - but I wouldn't call them cheap, at least not here in the UK. Plus - since some of the proposed moves I list are actually being developed by WotC now - there are the "Premium" versions available (with errata included).
Okay, sure, shipping makes everything in Europe more expensive. In the US, book re-sellers have tons of that late 3E content for cheap.

Your comment about reprints is a good one. It's one I wrestle with often. I have trouble believing the reprints, as beautiful as they are, will sell very well. They are releasing material compatible for 3E, such as Encounters, but is that really going to do much for sales? Though I travel a lot, I have met only a very small number of gamers that play 3E over Pathfinder. Maybe WotC can pull a few from PF back to 3E with reprints... but I really can't see that being significant. I don't really understand the reprint strategy for the 3E material. (I do for older classic stuff, as that is generally harder to find for most gamers and has a 'classic' and collectible value for many).

A different business plan would have required a different set of expectations and assumptions, naturally.
Okay, but keep in mind we're talking about what to do in the future. Wizards should learn from the problems of the OGL and either not create one or create a different type of OGL for D&D Next. They have a responsibility for their business, so the OGL should be re-examined carefully.

That depends what you mean by "did well". The Core-Splats-New Edition model is a short-term bubble model; it has booms (and busts). But there are several companies that have been doing OK - keeping a product line going in a low-key way with decent (but not stellar) sales, enough to keep the business going for year after year. Pelgrane Press started in 1999 and have a very nice stable of systems and some established writers associated with them. Atlas Games have been around since at least 2004 and have a nice portfolio. Steve Jackson Games still has GURPS and a range around that. Columbia Games have been publishing Hârn Materials solidly since 1983; sure, they are not a market leader (nor likely to become one), but longevity has to count for something in a single brand, surely? Solid, long term quality with open products (GURPS can be used for many genres/settings, Hârn can be used with many game systems) and a committment to the customers is not a "sexy" way to do business - but it's one that lasts and it's one I am increasingly enamoured by as a customer.
I don't think any of those are a valid model for DnD. Sure, DnD could be just a small game with a single edition and the WotC just writes different games, as Pelgrane does. Or maybe it just lives off of other games, the way Steve Jackson does with Munchkin.

It may be that this is the only way. Diminishing returns and editions is a pain. For most companies, it doesn't work in the long run, because they start by borrowing to write a core book, then get most of that back but need to put it into sourcebooks to maintain interest, and then lose their shirts when costs are the same but revenue is lower from diminishing returns. Both Paizo and WotC are clearly expanding into board games and licensing. The PF MMO is clearly an attempt to completely change the scale of Paizo and its branding influence. The emphasis at WotC with D&D Next on defining monsters and settings is clearly a gateway to licensing and branding. And really, if I worked for Hasbro, that's the only story I would believe. I wouldn't believe that Next is somehow going to be amazingly profitable (any more than I would believe Pathfinder Second Edition would be). I would believe that we could get back to the 80's and have a cartoon, toys, movies, lunchboxes, more successes like the Neverwinter MMO, etc.

Back to the RPG, it still doesn't benefit from an OGL in either case. The OGL's benefits were supposed to be core book sales. No one has wanted to gut the RPG department down to just reselling the core books, thankfully. That initial vision would have been disastrous. Beyond that, the OGL creates competition, waters down your product line, creates product confusion, and hurts the industry by overly focusing on a single game rather than having third parties create their own innovations.

It's funny that the design team trumpeted that they started on the DDN process by going back and playing old editions of D&D; with or without OGL supplements, I wonder?
Without. They were playing through the key product lines. Short sessions to capture the essence of each edition - it's play style and what resonated. Plenty on the staff have d20 3rd party experience - that's not lacking. Similarly, they play different games all the time. Follow their Twitter feeds and see they have played L5R, FIASCO, Dungeon World, Numenera, FATE, 13th Age, etc. They are part of a vibrant community of gamers and they run and take turns in home games with various larger groups. They have a very healthy exposure to games these days.

Remove ads