• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I’m not dead yet…..sticking with 3.5

Imaro

Legend
Bet, bet, bet, bet, bet. Okie doke, Imaro. Time to put up or post not. :D

Loser posts around the forums naked?

That's no type of bet... I already do... :cool:

Edit: Joe I just seen your post... good thing we aren't posting together...I mean in the same room, on the same computer... uhm...together. You know what nevermind...back to the topic at hand

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
The word "compatible" seems to cover a range from "similar" to "synonymous" depending on who you ask though I know that the latter definition is more likely to please more people.

Fenes

First Post
Are we talking the 3.5 Pathfinder stuff or the beta? The final edition isn't out yet no?

I liked some of the beta and if I was still doing 3.5 would definately be cribbing from it.

The beta version. I could use any of the classes easily in my game, without trouble.

Filcher

First Post
I heart JGK. Not often LOL means what it claims to.

Joe, I agree w/ your assessment, but I think we're putting to much emphasis on this. It's a seminar, at a con I've never heard of. 3.5 players could probably stand to be told what product lines are still available to them.

You know what? I just talked myself back to Joe's position. Don't lure me by telling me that you'll make 3.5 material, if you're not making 3.5 material.

Is anyone still making TRUE 3.5 material? Sounds like a forked thread to me.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Is anyone still making TRUE 3.5 material? Sounds like a forked thread to me.
Yeah, there are some. One springs to mind straight away, because one of their products is in my cart over there at RPGNow. That's Dreamscarred Press's Fleshcrafting PDF, if you're link-shy or just can't be bothered looking.

There's the Book of Experimental Might, plus #2, and the Complete BoXM, in print as of not so long ago. And an adventure for that set of 'house rules' - I'm pretty sure I saw that at RPGNow as well.

Hm, looks like Cooper's Compendium of Corrected Creatures is still going ahead too.

Of course, EN Publishing (as in EN World) put their WotBS adventure path into one very large printed book (you can see that here).

It's not new stuff, but Green Ronin is reprinting d20 books under the '3rd Era' banner (announcement here).

Sinister Adventures has their Indulgences, and Dark Vistas.

Oh, and there's, y'know. . . Paizo. ;) I know, they'll switch to PFRPG at some stage, but still, at the moment. . .

I'm not sure if Expeditious Retreat Press are still making 3e products, like 1-on-1 adventures or World Building stuff, but they certainly appear to have some of those things available, in print, from what I can see.

The Great City Campaign Setting is quite a recent release, I think. That one's from 0one Games.

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
Don't tell me to stick with 3.5 and then try and push me towards Conan or True 20. That's bait and switch.

How is True20 a bait and switch when right there in the bait it flat out says "True20, or other 3.5 variants"? If it said 3.5 games and ended there, then maybe you would have a point.

I agree with you that I don't consider True 20 to be 3.5. But it is clearly an OGL game and as soon as I read the description it was 100% clear what they mean. For example, I also don't consider Warriors and Warlocks to be 3.5. But based on the description they provided it is fully clear that this would fit into the topic. If I showed up and was surprised when they started to talk about W&W, it would not be bait and switch, it would be my failure to read.

They get to use there own reasonable definitions. And this is a reasonable definition. Even moreso when they elaborate on what they mean.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
My group is currently playing WFRP, and we think it's a HELL of a lot closer to D&D than 4e. Yeah, the mechanics are completely different, but the feel is the same - with the deadlyness put back in.

Twowolves

Explorer
It depends on your definition of "3.5 ed". There were a lot of splat books put out for 3.5 that I don't use in my 3.5 game, but that doesn't make it any less 3.5 ed. I am running a 3.5 adventure with the Pathfinder Beta and doing zero conversions and so far no problems. Were I to be more concerned with every little nut and bolt, I could convert monsters and NPCs beforehand but I don't have to do so, and that's the point. Honestly, I could almost do the same for Mutants and Masterminds on the fly. Both systems use the "core" of the d20 system: roll a d20, add your mods, match or beat a target number. How you determine your mods and your target numbers is different (but really, you can use M&M to exactly model your 3.5 ed character, if you wanted to), and even the lack of HP doesn't really stop you.

My point is, the fine details are not 100% interchangeable, but the game experience at the table can certainly be, without a ton of hassle. Are there defferences between 3.5 ed Forgotten Realms and Pathfinder RPG's Golarion? Yes, but there isn't much more than a speedbump keeping you from using material from one in the other, and in cases like Pathfinder, True 20 and M&M, you can even make what changes you need at the table, on the fly. Certainly not a case of bait 'n' switch from my perspective.

Derro

First Post
I think the OP is seeing something nefarious where it clearly does not exist. Pathfinder, True20, Conan, etc are all based on the 3.5 SRD. Pathfinder was conceived of well after the 3.5 revision and d20 Conan 2e and True20 Revised were released post 3.5 revision. I know for a fact that the Conan release contained new rules based specifically on the 3.5 SRD.

With only the brief description of the event in the blog it's impossible to determine precisely what the content will be but I would imagine the main premise is incorporating material from other games to use with your 3.5 rule-set. The impression that I get is that the focus of the seminar is that just because WotC has ceased supporting 3.5 with published material doesn't mean that 3.5 players need to be bereft of new material. Look at these other games for an untapped source of material that can be utilized with a minimum of conversion.

And really, this is a single event at a con. It's not like GR, Paizo, or Mongoose are conspiring to deceive 3.5 players into buying their products while they are still stunned at being supporters of a dead property. Are you just trying to stir up controversy or is this really something of extreme importance to you? Answering yes to either is indicative of the need to take a break.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads