I almost cried...

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
TracerBullet42 said:
So during last night's game session, it finally happened. One of the players cried out, "ACK! YOU BASTARD!"

It was a beautiful moment for me in my young GM-ing career. I feel that I've finally arrived.

That's all.

So now I think we're all burning to know...

what did you do?

I got called a rat bastard GM for the first time recently.

I put my 6th-level PCs in the hold of a long-lost treasure ship. Gold and magic and riches beyond measure, lying around unguarded. Then I capsized the ship.

Not only did they only managed to grab one magic sword, a single scroll, 6 potions, and about 1000gp of miscellaneous jewellery, but I came damn close to killing two PCs as the ship turned turtle and massive heavy chests slip down the sloping floor and rained down about the PCs ears. I think I had the dwarf down to 1/4 hp, pinned by a treasure chest, up to his nose in water, and entangled by a living seaweed at one point.

I almost killed a PC with treasure. Good times...

Asmor

First Post
humble minion said:
I got called a rat bastard GM for the first time recently.

I put my 6th-level PCs in the hold of a long-lost treasure ship. Gold and magic and riches beyond measure, lying around unguarded. Then I capsized the ship.

Not only did they only managed to grab one magic sword, a single scroll, 6 potions, and about 1000gp of miscellaneous jewellery, but I came damn close to killing two PCs as the ship turned turtle and massive heavy chests slip down the sloping floor and rained down about the PCs ears. I think I had the dwarf down to 1/4 hp, pinned by a treasure chest, up to his nose in water, and entangled by a living seaweed at one point.

I almost killed a PC with treasure. Good times...

*golf claps*

Also, yoink.

Tehnai

First Post
Loincloth of Armour said:
My greatest DM moment came when the players were talking amongst themselves about which patron to ally themselves with. One of the choices was a crime lord named Rattler.

Now, Rattler had never done anything bad to the players, had never hurt them, never betrayed them, and hadn't even done any significant crime activity in front of the players. The only thing was that I played him with a very quiet demeanor, unfailingly polite, a whispering voice, and a personality of subtle confidence.

The great moment came when one player --without any prompting-- said, "I don't want to work for Rattler. He creeps me out."

When your NPCs freak out players, you know you're doing something right. :D

That brings back memories...

The players enter this strange mansion coming out of a gigantic canyon out of which purple smoke emanates. Inside, you have 5 NPCs. 4 kids, obviously all brothers and sisters, who always talk in sync. It's been done, but it's funky.

The other NPC is a "human" male called Kerstan, he's about 10 feet tall, with disproportionately long arms, and he must weight about 130 pounds. He had a bandana that covered his eyes and the top of his face, but had no discernable shapes under it (IE no ears or hair or eye sockets).

Everytime he spoke, I went "He bows to your level, approaching his face at an inch or two of yours, and speaks in a whispering, raspy voice : "Mmmmh... Visitors... The master has been expecting you. Mmmmh... You should hurry before your meal goes cold."

Half of them refused to eat. It was perfectly good roast beef, though.

shilsen

Adventurer
I get the bastard thing a fair bit, but I got a fun variant in a monthly Eberron game I'm running. I started that one because Rolzup, the DM for that group, needed to take a break from DMing. So in this session the PCs are in a gladiatorial contest, with all sorts of plans in hand for dealing with the top-ranked team, which consists of a fire giant backed up by ogre barbarians. And then they see the fire giant's team go down to a motley crew of adventurers, who they recognize as their PCs from the game Rolzup was running previously. Which immediately leads to all sorts of paranoia. At which point the conversation goes something like this...

Me (grinning): I'm not sure why you guys are worried. After all, you know all their abilities intimately.

Another player: We used to. Now you've got your hands on them, and that's a problem.

Rolzup: Yes. Because Shil ... is a dick!

It was just something about the way he said it, but that totally cracked me up. Ah, good times!

Jupp

Explorer
TracerBullet42 said:
So during last night's game session, it finally happened. One of the players cried out, "ACK! YOU BASTARD!"

It was a beautiful moment for me in my young GM-ing career. I feel that I've finally arrived.

That's all.

Great moment there. I had a similar thing happen to me in my last session. I am pretty new to DMing as well but our group plays since more than 15 years now. Now our old DM is a player in my group.

Currently the group is trying to survive "Kill Bargle!" from Dungeon 150 under the C&C ruleset and they are in the second level of the dungeon at the moment. So last session they encountered the elite kobold tribe at their full power on their own turf. :]

The first highlight was when they entered another room with the little bastards and when they were barely able to win against them our old DM just sat there, took one of the kobold minis, looked at it and muttered under his breath "But they are just some stupid freakin' goblins, darnit...." and then he continued to mumble under his beard about how they are not supposed to be such a pain in the players neck :D

The second highlight was after the fight in another room (elite kobolds again) the players started to cheer with each goblin they've killed and demonstratively threw the mini over my DM screen with a big smile

The third highlight was a bit dampened by the death of the monk but nonetheless it was the best fight I had in a very long time playing RPGs. It was the fight against the kobold chieftain and his heavily armored bodyguards, some elite kobolds and some normal kobolds. The fight was very intense from the first round on and the players were practically glued to the floor plan, fearing for their characters while on the other hand enjoying a thrilling fight. We got into such a rage that we all started to sweat :D

The healer (our old DM) had his hands full throwing heal spells or pouring potions into half-dead comrades and the fighters struggled to cope with the horde of furious little kobolds while the thief was backstabbing left and right until he got dizzy. I always roll in the open so at each attack I rolled all heads came forth and followed every minuscule movement of the dice. Unfortunately for them I was doing alot of 20s (about 4 in that fight alone) and each crit the would shout at me things like "Nooez, again a 20!" - "Stop that!" - followed by the automatic move to the charsheet to go through every detail that could help them in the next round. So, it was a total blast for all of us.

The only sad thing was that in the last round of his fight the goblin chieftain (with only 1 hp left) rolled a 20. I took a card from the Critical Hit Deck and looked under "Slash weapon"....."Decapitation, roll against Fortitude or die". Well, the monk didn't make his save so suddenly a head was flying through the air...I felt a bit bad about it, and there were 5 seconds of total silence until the Barbarian cried out revenge and charged the Chieftain to smash him to pulp. A short time later all opponents were dead, except one that got away :]

The good thing about the death of the monk is that they opted to ask for a resurrection in the monks monastery in Yggsburgh. Now they wear a heavy dept that will have to be repaid once they are on the proper level to enter Castle Greyhawk :]

Remove ads