I Am For The Darkmaster, Actually

In my misspent gaming youth, there was a game that the other members of my gaming group spoke of in strange, hushed tones. A game where you rolled on chart after chart after chart during battles. Where critical hits were described in gory, R-rated detail. Where character creation took hours and characters could die in seconds. This game was called Rolemaster. Whether or not Rolemaster lived...

slide01_famed_desktop-2048x1320.jpg

In my misspent gaming youth, there was a game that the other members of my gaming group spoke of in strange, hushed tones. A game where you rolled on chart after chart after chart during battles. Where critical hits were described in gory, R-rated detail. Where character creation took hours and characters could die in seconds. This game was called Rolemaster.

Whether or not Rolemaster lived up to the hype of those 8th grade memories, I can’t say. But I can talk about Against The Darkmaster, an OSR-style revamping of the rules from lead designer Massimiliano Carachristi. It may seem weird playing a product that’s built on nostalgia for a game that I’ve never played, but good OSR designs stand on their own without the need for nostalgia to carry them. Nostalgia, at best, is meant to flavor a design and smooth over a rough patch or two. How does this game fare without me fondly remembering the charts of my youth? Let’s look at the copy provided by Open Ended Games.

The book is a 570+ page tome with a full-color cover and crisp black and white line drawings in the interior. Art director Tomasso Galmacci is also listed as one of the interior artists and he nails the classic look of an 80’s rulebook. The work here reminds me of the sharp art in Forbidden Lands with some great full page pieces breaking up the chapters. Layout is kept to a simple two columns with scroll-like sidebars breaking in the text. It’s here where Against The Darkmaster starts to tip its hand that it’s not going to be a simple reprint of Rolemaster. Many of the sidebars scattered through the text offer rules hacks and tweaks with ideas that modernize the rules. I love it when designers offer these options in a rulebook.

The system starts out simple enough. Roll percentile dice, add them to a skill percentage and if they get 100 or over, the character succeeds. Roll over 175, and that’s a critical success. The success chart also suggests other modern elements, such as a success with a cost for a roll between 75-99 or a critical failure of 5 or below. Players can climb these heights (or fall into the mathematical pits of despair) because the percentile rolls are open ended. 95 or higher means the players roll again and add, while 05 or lower means the players roll again and subtract.

Combat and magic are where the charts start to truly make their appearance. Combat rounds are structured so that magic and ranged attacks sandwich melee action in a round. That allows for some weapon strategy too, as the longer the melee weapon is, the earlier it goes during the melee section. Instead of the base 100 target number weapons are rolled on a chart determined by their type of damage with each of the four armor types on the chart. If the roll is high enough, a second roll occurs on a critical hit chart also determined by the type of weapon. That’s where a short description of a nasty injury lives, along with some long term effects of the injury like a torn tendon or bleeding hit points each round. It also helps in the modern era for those with the PDF to print out any relevant charts and have them handy for each player’s damage.

Magic’s complexity comes in its versatility. The majority of the classes come with some level of inborn magic talent, with any classes having access to spell knowledge by trading in skill levels on a two for one basis. Multiple rolls for a single action slow down game play, but it doesn’t do so much more than separately rolling to hit and damage. There are magic points and modifier charts, but the real cost of magic is that if a magic user does too well, they run the risk of revealing the heroes to the Darkmaster and getting some supernatural goons sent to take out the good guys.

The Darkmaster is the main villain of the campaign created by the GM as a stand-in for them in the world. Rolemaster was related to Middle-Earth Role Playing and this element offers a chance to let the Game Master let their inner Sauron fly by taunting the PCs or sending some monsters to attack the party. It’s a fun riff on the wandering monsters concept and for those who might not have a fantasy villain in mind at the start of a campaign, the book offers a few charts for inspiration, as well as some sample villains and minions lavishly illustrated in some of my favorite art in the book. Creating a Darkmaster feels like a middle ground between the antagonistic play of early RPGs and the collaborative play of modern designs.

The Darkmaster creation is of the modern ideas incorporated into character creation, such as drives that come off as aspect-like ideas that encourage players to get into trouble to score advancement points. Players also get background elements that work a little like feats while also tying into drives and shared world creation. A character that has an Assassin training background is encouraged to make their relationship with their guild as a drive and the GM is encouraged to build the details of that guild together. While Against The Darkmaster is built by a team that loves the original game, it plays like the version of the game I would run: keep the stuff I like, add in stuff that fits my style.

If I wanted to run a game that felt like the weird, dark 80s fantasy of things like Dragonslayer or Willow, this is the game I would use. It’s heavier than my usual fantasy RPG choices, but sometimes you just have to play a game where you high five everyone at the table when you deliver a gnarly blow to the kneecap of the vampire king the Darkmaster sent to kill you.

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

Hurin70

Adventurer
Rolemaster didn't so much have edition wars as PR problems.

Oh, and lacked a clear labeling scheme. Not to mention the relayouts of 1e. At least 3 sets of trade dress. Plus RMSS.
Yes, the edition names were unfortunate.

For anyone that is interested: The first edition is now called RM1 and RM2, since it got a revision (with few changes) a little after the first books came out in the early 80s. Then, what was really the second edition was confusingly called Rolemaster Standard System (RMSS), which then got its own minor revision a few years later in Rolemaster Fantasy RolePlaying (RMFRP). Then RM1/2 got repackaged again into Rolemaster Classic so it could be sold at the same time. And now we have a new edition (which is really essentially a third edition) called Rolemaster Unified.

So, there are really three editions, but the nomenclature is confusing:
--First edition = RM1 and RM2 (RM2 is more used)
--Second edition = RMSS/RMFRP
--Third edition = RMU

Banesfinger

Explorer
Writing this in 2023, after playtesting Against the Darkmaster or "vsD" for ~10 sessions.
Thank you for such a comprehensive review.
Our group is about 10 session in as well, and I mirror many of your opinions:

"Niche protection". I agree, the utter freedom to chose any skills (focus, or generalist) has led to some issues (both good and bad):
  • some of my players love they have such freedom in character creation. In D&D they hated that their Ranger had to take spells (for example).
  • a lack of skills will cause some balance problems (e.g. one of our players chose an Animist who focused on healing but had almost no skill in combat/weapons... she felt pretty useless for most of the combats). It is also very difficult for a GM to balance encounters if some PCs have massive HPs and attack bonuses, while others are as fragile as paper.

Tactical Round/initiative: many of my players actually liked this, instead of D&D's system. For example, they hated situations in D&D where they would be lined up in a 5-ft wide hallway and a combat starts, but all the guys in the rear had the best initiative roll, and couldn't move forward and basically missed their entire round.

Gold: the wealth system has taken some time to get used-to it. Our players have mixed feelings about this. While it does avoid the murder-hobo mentality and cleans up the minutia of tracking ever copper piece, it does eliminate some motivations (the Baron is offering a chest of gold). Dungeon room descriptions reduced to "a WL-1 pile of gold" leaves little inspiration.

Wounds: again, lots of mixed feelings. Our group loves the idea of wounds (and the death spiral) as opposed to D&D's 50 arrows in your chest mean nothing until a rat bites your last HP. But I think some of the wounds could be standardized to ease bookkeeping. And the group is still dubious about "stun locked" PCs.
Also, we are only on our 10th game, and the simplified Critical Hit charts (compared to RM) are already becoming repetitive. And that memory of "RM's cool crits" was what drew our group to this system in the first place (to make combat more exciting compared to D&D).

XP: I agree, Passions should have been exclusively attached to Drive (keeping them separate from XP).

Topramesk

Explorer
Also, we are only on our 10th game, and the simplified Critical Hit charts (compared to RM) are already becoming repetitive. And that memory of "RM's cool crits" was what drew our group to this system in the first place (to make combat more exciting compared to D&D).

Eheh, I feel you, on one hand we'd love to add more variety to the Crits, on the other we want to avoid having too many crit tables, or adding dozens of flavor texts with little variance in their mechanical effect.
We're brewing a few options and alternatives for various combat rules, but it's still waaay to early to make them public :LOL:

XP: I agree, Passions should have been exclusively attached to Drive (keeping them separate from XP).

Wait, what do you mean? Passions are exclusively attached to Drive, they've nothing to do with XPs.

Banesfinger

Explorer
Wait, what do you mean? Passions are exclusively attached to Drive, they've nothing to do with XPs.
This is how I understand them (RAW):
Using a Passions that puts the PC in a 'bad light' or moves the story in an interesting direction, earns a Drive Point.
Drive Points are similar to D&D's inspiration points, and can be spent on a one-time bonus to rolls.
So far, not connected to XP at all...however...
When a PC spends a Drive Point, they also gain a Heroic Path (point). Basically I see this as a history of how many Inspiration points you've spent. This is a great way to stop players from 'hording' Drive Points.
When you accumulate 10 Heroic Path points (called a Milestone), you gain a special ability (called a Revelation). That sounds pretty much like D&D XP/levels, eh?
So while Passions/Drive are not directly related to XP (levels), they do act like a secondary "XP" track.

CapnZapp

Legend
This thread was started by me saying:

Some people think the XP system warrants praise. I do understand the sentiment, but I'm afraid that all the effort that went into tying your Passions to xp gain is wasted, when you have played rpgs for so long that you have realized xp systems are mostly just useless and needless. (The only xp system I have needed for the past 15 years is "the heroes level up when I say so".) I would have found it MUCH more useful if the Passions were connected to Drive points instead, for instance.

To clear things up, I conflated "Passions" and "Achievements". Sorry about that.

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, if you dont' know any of the details of the new Rolemaster edition, I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the system first. How can you say it doesn't solve any of the problems if you don't know what its solutions are?
No offense to you but I find the RM community a completely isolated fishpond community with no discernable awareness of what would be needed to put the game system back into the limelight.

What would be needed is
  • a dozen or more adventure scenarios comparable in content, easy-of-use, balance and layout to modern 5E DM's Guild stuff
  • a SINGLE go to rule-set

For the first point, I was dismayed to see that except for the new Northern Woods mini-campaign by Open Ended Games, there really isn't any good d100 adventure modules. All of the old RoleMaster stuff is... let's be charitable and just say really old... and I mean that in every aspect you can think of. It just isn't competitive on today's market. (I found nothing I could or wanted to use myself even though I crawled what I believe to be pretty much EVERY d100 module there is)

For the second, well, if you don't realize that the d100 community will never grow as long as the petty squabbles and the rules rifts remain, I don't know what to tell you...

I'm sure the different RM editions serve the faithful well. To me, it appears as if every RoleMaster games master makes up their own scenarios, with there being close to zero energy spent on creating a decent body of publishable d100 material (and the old ShadowWorld stuff very much does not hold up). This means d100 will never again become a game that anybody talks about.

aramis erak

Legend
No offense to you but I find the RM community a completely isolated fishpond community with no discernable awareness of what would be needed to put the game system back into the limelight.

What would be needed is
  • a dozen or more adventure scenarios comparable in content, easy-of-use, balance and layout to modern 5E DM's Guild stuff

For the first point, I was dismayed to see that except for the new Northern Woods mini-campaign by Open Ended Games, there really isn't any good d100 adventure modules. All of the old RoleMaster stuff is... let's be charitable and just say really old... and I mean that in every aspect you can think of. It just isn't competitive on today's market. (I found nothing I could or wanted to use myself even though I crawled what I believe to be pretty much EVERY d100 module there is)

For the second, well, if you don't realize that the d100 community will never grow as long as the petty squabbles and the rules rifts remain, I don't know what to tell you...

I'm sure the different RM editions serve the faithful well. To me, it appears as if every RoleMaster games master makes up their own scenarios, with there being close to zero energy spent on creating a decent body of publishable d100 material (and the old ShadowWorld stuff very much does not hold up). This means d100 will never again become a game that anybody talks about.
You have completely missed the spirit of Rolemaster...

What do I mean by that? Every edition of Rolemaster and Spacemaster is a core engine and literally dozens of options to build the Rolemaster or Spacemaster you want to run, while maintaining compatability with the Creatures and Treasures books.

When I ran RM and SM, a few short runs each - I think a total of 10 sessions of SM and 5 of RM, I followed CaL guidelines and started by going through and picking my options. Which was the following list:
Racial Mods modify temp and potential, rather than the attribute's modifier - thus about halving their effect.
Secondary skills in use
Smoothed attribute modifiers - formula method.
buy individual spells off lists, not lists in blocks.
"Breaking 150" (attack rolls totalling over 150 continue to increase the higher the roll)
No classes from RMC V and later. (first RM campaign, because they didn't exist, later because I didn't want to bother.)
Per level bonuses for certainskills

My downstairs neighbor, whose handle was Creshnar on WWIVnet (this also tells you when), IIRC, used in his year+ long campaign...
Racial mods added to att mod (default).
Spells in blocks of levels (default)
Breaking 150.
Every book out to date.
Char Gen rolls could be witnessed by me. (I had the same pile o' books he had. We had overlapping player bases. and he killed a PC every week or two. So they often came up to borrow books in room and have their rolls witnessed.)

I don't know if he used Secondary Skills.

RMQ used a different set of options when he ran RM. I don't remember the details, because he told me about it over a pair of 40's of Imperial Extra Stout. I opted not to play. I don't even know how long he ran it for. He mostly ran Palladium. Haven't heard from him since 2015. I do recall him mentioning Creshnar's game as reasoning for different options.

The day Rolemaster becomes standardized, sanitized, and homogenized, it loses most of the extant fan base.

MERP was far less a construction set - I can't find any optional rules on a quick skim. But the options from RM can be used just fine in it....

Darkmaster has a dozen or so optional rules, all fairly minor. As with RM, every GM has room to customize with reasonably well tested options.

Hurin70

Adventurer

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think my main point remains: the new edition of rules resolves and fixes many of the main problems previous editions had. The soft leather armors being trap armors, for example, and AT 1 (no armor) being too strong. And of course this new edition is being supported (you can get rules questions answered quickly on the forums and Discord chat, a Roll20 character sheet is nearing completion, etc.). That I feel is important to note.

What would be needed is

On that, we will have to disagree. I very much like the old Shadow World modules and am currently using them in 2 campaigns. The great thing about many of them is that they are more setting than adventure books, and I personally feel that in that respect they hold up very well.

There are also of course the similar Middle Earth books from when ICE had the Tolkien license, and I would argue that those hold up exceptionally well. The level of detail in them had not ever been matched in any of the new Tolkien stuff, imho. They were written by Tolkien geeks and for Tolkien geeks. And of course they have Rolemaster stats. The new edition is not so far from the old that you can't just use the old stats. The only thing you'd definitely have to change is the Armor Types (10 in RMU vs. 20 in previous editions), but after that, you're mostly good to go.

I should also note that there is a new adventure module coming out for Shadow World (The Priest King of Shade) and there is a project afoot to provide RMU stats for the old modules too. So that old back catalogue can still be used.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'petty squabbles and rules rifts'. The RM community has actually been quite respectful and I don't see much of a rift between RM2 vs. RMSS vs. RMU people; certainly, it is not anywhere near the rifts between D&D 3.5/PF/4.0/5e/5.5e. So I'm not sure where that is coming from.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads