• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I am not allowed to Rage

Fenes 2

First Post
You can always say you rage and lose control in a fight, and roleplay it. If you really, really want the stat boosts you could, perhaps, look for limited use magic items that duplicate them.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Berserking Sword, a cursed magic item. You berserk and get all the benefits from rage every time you battle. The problem is, you always attack the nearest creature and that include your friend. And you do not stop until you drop all of them.:D

Last edited:

Suldulin

First Post
Berk said:

Actually, No. The rage ability of a wolverine is an extraordinary ability. As per the description of the spell polymorph self and other you don't get the extraordinary and supernatural and spell like abilities of the creature you change into. As per the wildshape ability, it is just like polymorph self except you can only adopt one form. And the greater shift ability from the shifter prestige class works just like wildshape. So no rage for you!!. =o)

Wildshape is no longer tied to polymorph, it is its own ability and you do indeed gain the extraordinary abilities of the animals who's form you shift to.

Spatzimaus

First Post
These others have covered all the easy ways, although if what you're looking for is "combat trance that gives extra bonuses but has other drawbacks" you could do something like the Dwarven Defender. The splatbooks have a few like this too.

But that's just getting around the problem: your DM. I'd ask him WHY you're not allowed to take Barbarian; it's not like the class is overpowered. Does he object to the concept of temporary bonuses, or is it the "lack of control" part? Or is it that "Barbarian" implies illiterate savages? Is it the d12 HD? If you can convince him to tweak the class into something he can live with instead of tossing it out entirely, you're better off.

The only tough part is overhauling Rage itself. A while back on this board, in a thread called "An Alternate Rage" or something, the idea came up of a build-your-own-Rage system. I use something similar now, any Barbarian starts off with a fairly weak Trance, and as they progress in levels they can increase its power by adding abilities from various tables, or remove drawbacks. With a system like that, the DM can simply remove any abilities or drawbacks he doesn't think are appropriate.

Tewligan

First Post
Crothian said:
There's a class in OA that has abilities similiar to a rage.
That would be the sohei. I played one in a campaign for a while - much fun. At one point, the character raged while fighting a troglodyte chieftan on a rope bridge. I rolled a 1 to hit, and the DM ruled that I slashed through the ropes in my frenzy, sending us both tumbling into the river below. When we both bobbed to the surface, I took another rage-fueled swing, this time rolling a 20 with my greatsword. One crit-confirmation later, and I was floating in the water along with two trog halves. The image of this frothing lunatic tumbling into the water due to his poorly-directed rage was quite entertaining to us.

Um, anyway, my hijack is now over. Yeah, the sohei.

Lucius Foxhound

First Post
Suldulin said:
Wildshape is no longer tied to polymorph, it is its own ability and you do indeed gain the extraordinary abilities of the animals who's form you shift to.

This has got to be from the MotW right? The core rules don't agree with you:

Wild Shape: At 5th level, a druid gains the spell-like ability to polymorph self into a Small or Medium-size animal (but not a dire animal) and back again once per day. Unlike the standard use of the spell, however, the druid may only adopt one form. As stated in the spell description, the druid regains hit points as if he or she has rested for a day. The druid does not risk the standard penalty for being disoriented while in the wild shape.

Benben

First Post
Lucius Foxhound said:

Wild Shape: At 5th level, a druid gains the spell-like ability to polymorph self into a Small or Medium-size animal (but not a dire animal) and back again once per day. Unlike the standard use of the spell, however, the druid may only adopt one form. As stated in the spell description, the druid regains hit points as if he or she has rested for a day. The druid does not risk the standard penalty for being disoriented while in the wild shape.

I believe that the changes to Wildshape were made official changes to the core rules, much like the changes to Polymorph Self/Other were made official in Tome & Blood.

Not that what you have quoted is terribly out of date with the current revision of Polymorp Self/Other--the spell only allows for a single form to be taken with each casting of the spell.

Wildshape is now, and should have been significantly different from polymorph other. Wildshape should certainly allow for the sprinting abilities of a cheetah, and the venomous bite of an asp.

Stalker0

Legend
The Emotion spell can give a limited form of rage.

I don't allow any barbarians IMC either, but that's because everyone was raised in the castle, and wouldn't have been taught barbaric ways:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads