• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I am not allowed to Rage

dkilgo

First Post
Stalker0 said:
I don't allow any barbarians IMC either, but that's because everyone was raised in the castle, and wouldn't have been taught barbaric ways:)

IMC I do allow barbarians at first level, but the players must give a good back story about why thier character is a barbarian. Characters that did not start out as a barbarian I still allow them to multiclass with that class because I look at it as not so much as a way of life, but a mind set.

Spatzimaus

First Post
I just renamed the class "Berserker" (Why? So I can use 3-letter acronyms without confusing it with Bard), and it's more of a fighting style than a social thing. Someone who drops into a trance/taps into their primal natures when they fight isn't automatically some uncultured primitive, even though the PHB says they are. This also lets me get rid of that stupid Literacy rule.

Now, the Barbarian has one other big problem: like the Monk, and maybe the Paladin and Ranger, you have no real flexibility in how the class progresses. So, I rebuilt the class a bit IMC, just like I changed those other classes (see the thread "Yet ANOTHER Alt.Monk"). Instead of dropping the class entirely, you might want to try something like that.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I pseudo made a barbarian in a game where barbs weren't allowed. We were rolling stats(4d6 drop lwest re-roll ones) and not surprsingly we all had good stats. I had a 18,16,14,13,12,10. I jsut when I made my character said he normally has a 14 str and 10 con but every once in a while he flys into psychotic rages and it jumps up to 18/14. The rages lasted 3 rounds+1 per con bonus, I could do them at will, and I could do them whenever I wanted any number of times a day, but only once per encounter. Oh and I went into involuntary rages if failed a will save when hurt DC15, and if insulted DC10. Since my rolled stats for str and con were 18/14 and they were voluntariyl lowered for my walk aorund stats the DM didn't have much to complain about and let it in.

dkilgo

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
I pseudo made a barbarian in a game where barbs weren't allowed. We were rolling stats(4d6 drop lwest re-roll ones) and not surprsingly we all had good stats. I had a 18,16,14,13,12,10. I jsut when I made my character said he normally has a 14 str and 10 con but every once in a while he flys into psychotic rages and it jumps up to 18/14. The rages lasted 3 rounds+1 per con bonus, I could do them at will, and I could do them whenever I wanted any number of times a day, but only once per encounter. Oh and I went into involuntary rages if failed a will save when hurt DC15, and if insulted DC10. Since my rolled stats for str and con were 18/14 and they were voluntariyl lowered for my walk aorund stats the DM didn't have much to complain about and let it in.

Not bad. I think I would tweak it a little, but not bad at all.

Tagnik

First Post
Barbs are not allowed due to they aren't in this city at this time. So I am looking for an alternate way to rage and still cast bull's strength. I'm looking for the Stat gain personally.

Tagnik

First Post
I was hoping for some kind of first or 2nd level rage ability.

Is there anything in the Core and Splat books about Magic Items that give rage?

Dude, why do you need stat bonuses and rules for this. Just whenever your character fights, say that he goes nuts and gets really angry. Seriously, you don't have to use the rules all the time. Use your imagination.

And I too call them berserkers. It's a frikkin' stupid idea to say that all wilderness folk are wild screaming savages.

S

shurai

RangerWickett said:

It's a frikkin' stupid idea to say that all wilderness folk are wild screaming savages.

Absolutely! Good thing the core rules never state or imply that 'all wilderness folk' have levels in the Barbarian class, huh?

-S

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads