I am Thinking about buying an Nintendo.

kirinke

First Post
Well, as the thread title suggests, I am thinking about buying an Nintendo game system. Howsomever, I know that there are several different versions out there, which would be the best one? I'm not real picky and don't have an issue with used ones, I just need to know the pro's and cons on the different types. :p

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Do you mean you're looking to buy a Nintendo game system and are deciding between the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, or Wii (when it comes out)?

Or do you mean you're looking to buy a gaming console and are deciding between Nintendo's, Sony's, or Microsoft's?

ssampier

First Post
New Systems

Well, the GameCube is one of the cheapest (new) systems on the market right now. The games are easily available and affordable. It boils down to if you like GameCube games (some people love them and others, well, hate them).

There is also the Nintendo DS the portable system that features 2 screens. I've never played the games but it looks they have re-released some older titles for the system.

The Wii is the newer name for the Revolution system that Nintendo is currently developing. It is not out yet.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Some of my favorite games off the top of my head...

NES: Super Mario Brothers (eventhough I suck at it, it's a classic), Battletoads, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy 1 (tough game, also a classic, but only if you like the genre)

SNES: Final Fantasy 2, Final Fantasy 3, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda, Street Fighter 2 Turbo (some of the best games ever)

N64: not a huge fan, but I played Super Smash Brothers

Gamecube: Super Smash Brothers Melee, Tales of Symphonia, Windwaker, Eternal Darkness

I'm sure there are others, but that might help you. Personally, I'd wait for the Wii (mostly because I already have access to the past games). Particularly if you're thinking of getting the Gamecube, you'll be able to play Gamecube games on the Wii.

What kind of games do you like? What kind of games are you looking for?

kirinke

First Post
Lol. GameCube it is then

One of the games I'm looking at buying for it is one of the pokemon games to start out with. Any suggestions on those?

Rackhir

Explorer
Nintendo's strength is it's family friendly (for the most part) and high quality original titles. However, there are a lot of games and a lot of kinds of games that aren't really available for it. With pretty much all consoles it comes down to does it have the games you want to play. So figure out what kind you like and hunt down reviews of games that fit that bill, to see if you really do want to play them.

Even if you don't like Sony, I wouldn't avoid the PS2 just for that. Just buy a used console and used games (there are TONS) and Sony won't be getting a cent from that.

kirinke

First Post
Well in any case I was planning on buying a used system. One they're cheeper and two, why buy new when in a year they'll be obsolete? :p

Though I will keep it in mind.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Actually, you probably shouldn't buy a Gamecube. The new Nintendo console (the Wii) will apparently be completely backwards compatible, and will be fairly reasonable priced - $200. It comes out in late November.

The Wii will also let you download and play earlier Nintendo games from previous systems (At least NES, SNES, and N64) for fairly cheap prices. (This is important because it can be expensive and hard finding a lot of the more popular SNES games. Like most the RPGs still sell for $40+)

If you like Pokemon, you probably want to get a Nintendo DS (the handheld). Most of the Pokemon games are for the Gameboy Advance (which the DS can play), but the new Pokemon games will be for the DS. Basically the DS is only like $50 more than a Gameboy Advance, but is much better.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
kirinke said:
Well in any case I was planning on buying a used system. One they're cheeper and two, why buy new when in a year they'll be obsolete?
Uh-oh. Too late. (The GameCube is already an essentially dead system.)

Nintendo is currently supporting only 2 systems:
1) Wii (console, not out yet, expected in November but not confirmed)
2) DS (handheld)

Even the Gameboy is virtually a dead system, with almost no support from Nintendo and only a sprinkling of 3rd party titles nowadays.

Jdvn1 has the right advice (ie. wait for the Wii) if you care about future proofing your decision. If you only care about a smattering of old(er) games, though, the GameCube is an acceptable choice (and it's cheap as hell). However, if you like Pokemon, then the DS is a better option.

Rackhir has the best advice overall, though. I have to admit, your reasoning seems pretty sketchy and it sounds like you have conducted very little research. Do you even know what games you like/are out there (other than the aforementioned Pokemon - in which you are definitely on the right track by sticking with Nintendo)?

Remove ads