• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I bought GURPS 4e!!!! (and returned it the next day)

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
So there I was, thinking to myself, "Man, I'm just not happy with D20 Modern. Don't like the autofire rules. Don't like the hit point escalation. I love d20 for D&D, but for modern games, from now on, I'm going with GURPS!"

So I run down to my FLGS and pick up GURPS 4e, two beautiful, shiny, full-colour hardback books: Book 1:Characters and Book 2: Campaigns.

I spend several hours reading through these books and at some point my head started to ache. Severely. I mean, I like crunch as much as the next guy, but holy crap...this was like reading a friggin' Advanced Quantum Physics textbook or something.

I began to ask myself: "Why the hell am I going to make myself wade through--and LEARN--over 400 pages of brand new rules when I know D20 Modern inside and out? Sure it ain't perfect...but dammit, that's what houserules are for!"

Then the GURPS 4e books started to fall apart. Binding cracked. Pages loosened. Was it Providence? Perhaps.

I returned them. The next day.

Now D20 Modern and I are on a second honeymoon.

haiiro

First Post
Chainsaw Mage said:
Then the GURPS 4e books started to fall apart. Binding cracked. Pages loosened.

That's sad to hear. I'd been looking forward to picking these up at some point, and they feel OK when skimmed. :\

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
haiiro said:
That's sad to hear. I'd been looking forward to picking these up at some point, and they feel OK when skimmed. :\

Apparently it's a common problem with them...ask over at rpg.net and you'll hear lots of testimonials. :\

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
Keeper of Secrets said:
Ugh. This is not good. I was hoping to hear good things about GURPS.

Don't get me wrong: other than the dreadful binding, the book is beautiful and the rules are superb. But I just realized that, well, it's GURPS: do I really need detailed mathematical calcuations to figure out how many pounds I can lift over my head in one second with my off-hand?

No, I realized. Pass the D20 Modern, please. :p

Seriously...the rules are so detailed it at times reads like a parody.

But if you like GURPS 3e, and don't mind the complexity and rules-bloat, you will love GURPS 4e. But I would advise you to wait until the second printing...it's sickening to pay close to $80.00 for two books that fall apart within days. And who cares if SJ Games is willing to replace them? I don't want to *have* to replace brand-new books, dammit! And I sure as hell don't want to have to mail them to Austin, Texas...and then HOPE that the new ones they send me don't fall apart as well...

[Was all that out loud? Sorry...]

Dancer

Explorer
Chainsaw Mage said:
Don't get me wrong: other than the dreadful binding, the book is beautiful and the rules are superb. But I just realized that, well, it's GURPS: do I really need detailed mathematical calcuations to figure out how many pounds I can lift over my head in one second with my off-hand?

No, I realized. Pass the D20 Modern, please. :p

Seriously...the rules are so detailed it at times reads like a parody.

But if you like GURPS 3e, and don't mind the complexity and rules-bloat, you will love GURPS 4e. But I would advise you to wait until the second printing...it's sickening to pay close to $80.00 for two books that fall apart within days. And who cares if SJ Games is willing to replace them? I don't want to *have* to replace brand-new books, dammit! And I sure as hell don't want to have to mail them to Austin, Texas...and then HOPE that the new ones they send me don't fall apart as well...

[Was all that out loud? Sorry...]

LOL, "rules bloat!" LMAO......With the million of suppliments and prestige classes out for DnD (most of them with some new feat or ability), you're saying that GURPS (with a lot of the rules being optional) has rules bloat. LOL, and I thought I was done laughing after reading the responses to Morrus's rant.

Live and laugh I guess :p

VirgilCaine

First Post
Good to hear. I play D&D. I don't want to play D&D in the modern era, where its unrealism is harder for me to wave away...
I WANT realism, and I DON'T want flavor--I just want the real world, darnit!

Biohazard

First Post
Dancer said:
Live and laugh I guess :p

You were so busy laughing that I guess you forgot that "rules bloat" is one of the most common and oldest complaints people tend to have about GURPS.

Anyway, if you're finished laughing, you can probably get some information on the subject by googling "GURPS rules bloat".

Sado

First Post
I understand GURPS 4E has its own setting. How exactly does the Generic Universal Roleplaying System end up with a setting? That's what the world books are for.

And what kind of setting is it? Fantasy? Modern? Sci-Fi? SOmething even weirder?

Biohazard

First Post
Sado said:
I understand GURPS 4E has its own setting. How exactly does the Generic Universal Roleplaying System end up with a setting? That's what the world books are for.

And what kind of setting is it? Fantasy? Modern? Sci-Fi? SOmething even weirder?

It's actually very cool. It's called "Infinite Worlds" and basically involves multi-dimensional travel. So you got yer elf, yer steampunk scientist, yer private eye, yer robot...all in one setting. Very GURPS. ;)

Remove ads