• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I bought GURPS 4e!!!! (and returned it the next day)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I never really warmed up to GURPS. It never really lived up to its name (Generic Universal Roleplaying System), IMHO.

I say that because I wound up in a gaming group in Austin (Hi Alan, if you're reading this!) that also happened to playtest some of the GURPS 3rd Edition stuff. We did it often enough that I wound ujp buying the 3Ed basic book, Compendium 1, and Martial Arts.

And, despite its claim to generic universality, certain mechanics changed from setting to setting, like the telekinesis rules, meaning that PCs within the same system needed conversions to interact with each other.

Note-this is NOT a knock on the underlying system itself. I never had a problem playing the game...until we tried cross-genre roleplaying.

By way of comparison, a point spent in HERO was pretty much equivalent across the RPG genres, which made cross-genre gaming much easier. Its also the one system I enjoy more than any other...bookkeeping chores aside.

IMHO, D20 does a better job with cross-genre roleplay than GURPS does (though not as well as HERO). So does the D20 variant game, Mutants & Masterminds.

The rules bloat of D20 is probably due more to the various 3rd party products, rather than WOTC's core products alone...which, given GURPS' penchant for rules variations with each setting, makes the rules bloat question pretty much a wash between it and D20.

I can only hope for true fans of the game that GURPS 4th is an improvement, at least in rules consistency, if not in the physical quality of the books. (My GURPS 3rd books are still quite serviceable, thank you very much.)

Spell

First Post
Chainsaw Mage said:
Apparently it's a common problem with them...ask over at rpg.net and you'll hear lots of testimonials. :\

Common problem?
I guess I'm *VERY* lucky, then.
I have a big collection of GURPS books (50+ books) and I never experienced a problem with the binding. It looks like they sold all the crappy copies to rpg.net people... :p
Mistakes happen, anyway. I know for a fact (and directly for the horse mouth: Andrew Hackard, GURPS line editior) that if your newly purchased book has *any* problem (missing pages, crappy binding, whatever), you can contact sjgames and ask for a substitution. send them your crappy copy, and you will get a new book.
Ah, if only people tried to do something before complaining...

Spell

First Post
Sado said:
I understand GURPS 4E has its own setting. How exactly does the Generic Universal Roleplaying System end up with a setting?

Simple: it's a meta-setting. You have one central world and the possibility to travel to alternate world/ timelines/ dimensions.
Since the setting is very unobstrusive, and its presence in the book is rather minimal (aprat from the chapter in the Book 2), GURPS is still very generic.

if you want some information, go to their forums:
forums.sjgames.com

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
And, despite its claim to generic universality, certain mechanics changed from setting to setting, like the telekinesis rules, meaning that PCs within the same system needed conversions to interact with each other.

Psionics is now just a subset of the ordinary advantage rules, and thus should work consistenty in every setting.

I can only hope for true fans of the game that GURPS 4th is an improvement, at least in rules consistency, if not in the physical quality of the books.

From all what I've heard, this seems to be the case. Rules consistency was one of the big priorities of the system, and they let some of the best heads in the industry redesign it.

Last edited:

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Spell said:
Common problem?
I guess I'm *VERY* lucky, then.
I have a big collection of GURPS books (50+ books) and I never experienced a problem with the binding. It looks like they sold all the crappy copies to rpg.net people... :p

I have a larger one (80+ books, though I haven't counted them recently...), and I've had serious problems with GURPS Grimoire and GURPS Vampire Companion. All the rest are still perfectly okay...

Spell

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:

It's true, some mechanics in the 3rd edition of the rules produced the same result with different mechanics and even with different point costs. This was one of the specific goals behind a new edition: get away with that, and present a unified system that lets you decide about the specific of the power once you have decided for the effect (just read the new advantages chapter for examples of what I'm talking about: you choose an advantage, and then you decide where it comes from... bio-genetic, superpower, orcish blood... it's still the same effect, you only have to change flavour).
I think the problem derived from the life span of the third edition: I think it saw print in 1988. It's just normal that after 15 years you get too many rules dealing with the same subject (it happened with AD&D, too, so...)

That said, I can't recall any instance of character conversion due to different subsystems. And I play multi-genre a lot. I guess it was hyperbolic.

Turanil

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
I WANT realism, and I DON'T want flavor--I just want the real world, darnit!

Open your door, and go see by yourself. It's all there, with perfectly realist rules that run smoothly. Has been playtested for millions of years. Forget about GURPS 4.0 and tries it. ;)

Last edited:

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Turanil said:
Open your door, and go see by yourself. It's all there, with perfectly realist rules that run smoothly. Has been playtested for millions of years. Forget about GURPS 4.0 and tries it. ;)

Any RPG that equates character death with player death isn't one that suits my preferences... ;)

Turanil

First Post
Jürgen Hubert said:
Any RPG that equates character death with player death isn't one that suits my preferences... ;)

Well, I must admit this game is not perfect. Where players complain that to create a d20 PC takes almost one hour, in this game it takes nine months (and I don't tell you about learning the rules either...) ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads