I broke my brain...Duel Weilding a Lances on a horse!?!? lol

Tony Vargas

Legend
A non-zero number of DMs in this very thread wouldn't allow the fighter dual-wielding lances on horseback, but I'm pretty sure close to zero DMs would disallow medusas shooting snake arrows Thulsa Dooms style under the same logic.

It's a clear anti-martial hosejob and all you can do about is say 'OK'.
It's hardly the most egregious job of anti-martial hosing in D&D history.

Heck, the impetus to dual-wield lances, itself, indicates that shields have likely been well and truly hosed, for instance.

Last edited:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
"Marshall Hosejob" sounds like something @iserith would name his warlord character.

I can see it now. He fights with a length of hose re fluffed as a Whip or just an Improvised Weapon using Tavern Brawler. Also possibly coming from a long line of Tailors specializing in light leggings. Hence the family name.

Last edited:

How is an NPC casting a spell a "martial hosejob"? :confused:

That's like saying dragons are a "martial hosejob" because they can fly and breath fire. Talk about broken! :mad:
The hosejob comes into play via a double-standard that only ever affects martials.
'Dragons being able to fly despite the square-cubed law and breathing 30-90' cones of fire hotter than volcanoes every 1-4 rounds? That's okay.'
'Martials dual-wielding lances? Not okay.'

What makes the first one okay but not the second one other than 'because I say so'?

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Your own post highlights the double-standard screwjob.
'Dragons being able to fly despite the square-cubed law and breathing 30-90' cones of fire hotter than volcanoes every 1-4 rounds? That's okay.'
'Martials dual-wielding lances? Not okay.'

Why is the first one okay but not the second one other than 'because I say so'?

Dragons are supernatural beings. From dictionary.com the definition of supernatural is "of, relating to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal."

Unless otherwise noted, martial characters are explicitly not supernatural. Much like James Bond movies, they push the limits of plausible, but what they do should still be possible given action movie physics and logic.

I enjoy the occasional action flick. Sometimes they push logic. OK, frequently they push what's possible. But in the moment it's fun and cool. If Rambo grabs an M60 machine gun and goes nuts I can grab the popcorn and enjoy. If he starts wielding dual M60 machine guns we've crossed the line into parody.

Dual wielding lances crosses the line into parody. If that's OK with the group, have fun. If you seriously can't see the difference, all I can say is good luck.

Tony Vargas

Legend
"Marshall Hosejob" sounds like something [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] would name his warlord character.

Or Wintergaurd Marshal/Sentinel Marshal, Marshall Martial, the Martial Warlord(Marshal) > Longarm Marshal > Marshal of Letherna...

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Then when are fans of martial characters going to draw a line in the sand? This instance of martials copping nerfs that monsters and casters aren't subject to is by no means the only occasion.

It's been 44 years, D&D has been a game of caster supremacy for 42 of ' em, and those two dissenting years were marked by global thermonuclear edition warring.

Just play a caster.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Dragons are supernatural beings. From dictionary.com the definition of supernatural is "of, relating to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal."

Unless otherwise noted, martial characters are explicitly not supernatural. Much like James Bond movies, they push the limits of plausible, but what they do should still be possible given action movie physics and logic.

I enjoy the occasional action flick. Sometimes they push logic. OK, frequently they push what's possible. But in the moment it's fun and cool. If Rambo grabs an M60 machine gun and goes nuts I can grab the popcorn and enjoy. If he starts wielding dual M60 machine guns we've crossed the line into parody.

Dual wielding lances crosses the line into parody. If that's OK with the group, have fun. If you seriously can't see the difference, all I can say is good luck.

Some of those movie scenes are plausible. You can fire a mini gun for example without bracing it.

I think you can be a halfing using X2 lances as well on a wolf or something. With mounted combat those goblins are in trouble.

Remove ads