D&D General I can't understand why Gygax split a given stat into Str and Con

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
well, fitness clubs are good for abs;
( perhaps the main confusion comes from ) Ad&d 2 Player's Option, they split Con into fitness and health
and ( again from 2E PO ) Str was split into stamina and muscle

what if, Str was Nerves ??

Last edited:

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
Oh yes there are. Tons of them actually. For instance some the youtuberatti of body builders, strength competitors and powerlifters that I watch have had little bits of D&D show up in their videos. From Jon Call, to Martins Licis (who actually played one or two sessions of D&D on his channel), to Omar Isuf (who's shirts are very cool), to Dr. Mike Israetel.

And others that, due to oblique references in their content, I suspect they play or used to, like Gregg Knuckols.

When I recently changed gyms a trainer asked about my lifting belt with the words "Bend Bars Lift Gates" embroidered on it. Turns out he's a huge fan of the Adventure Zone.

And I think many of them, me included, understand the difference between str and con.
hey! I'm not talking about players, I'm talking about characters ( lol )

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
if anything Strength should be combined with Dexterity in an Atheletics stat that covers the bodies ability to do stuff - dexterity/agility requires as much muscle control as strength does

and constitution doesnt require a person to be particulary adept at hitting things

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I like how The Nightmares Underneath re-casts the ability scores to represent slightly different things. Cribbing from @Libertad 's excellent and detailed review (linked below):

Libertad said:
There’s no Strength score; instead there’s Ferocity which measures your overall capacity to inflict violence and adds to your to-hit rolls for melee and to all physical damage roll both ranged and melee.

Health, which is akin to Constitution, determines your carrying capacity on top of how many Wounds you can suffer before death.

Dexterity does not add to your Armour Rating but adds to your initiative modifier, surprise rolls, to-hit with missile weapons, and one’s Speed rating (how many squares you can move per round) plus everything else said score usually does.

Intelligence also covers perception and surprise rolls as well as general knowledge and “dungeon navigation” stuff.

Instead of Wisdom we have Willpower which is more or less your mental fortitude in trying times.

Charisma functions more or less the same, but can be used to reduce a community’s Resentment and people with high scores are often believed to be blessed by magic and/or the divine.

Remove ads