D&D 5E I didn't see it coming (semi-serious speculation of what's next in Next)

Li Shenron

Legend
I totally did not expect to see the Sorcerer and Warlock added so early, although now I understandy why... So what do you think we'll see in the next iteration of the playtest rules?

I don't know if next update will be major or will be made only by some additions. But here's my semi-serious guess (on additional material, not changes to existing material):

Next classes: Barbarian and Warlord
Next class features: Wizard's schools/traditions, one additional Sorcerer's heritage, one additional Warlock's pact
Next races: probably none for a while, or Half-Orcs
Next skills/bkg: physical skills, maybe an additional background or two
Next feats/specialties: a few non-combat feats e.g. for alchemy, poison-making and animal companions, and related specialties
Next spells: very few or no additions (unless they raise the supported max character level)
Next equipment: scrolls and first small bunch of sample magic items

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Classes: Ranger and Paladin
Features: I agree on one warlock pact and sorcerer origin and two or three wizard traditions. Maybe another rogue scheme and/or cleric domain?
Specialties: more melee specialties (so e.g. a Slayer or Duelist fighter has an appropriate option)

Classes: Monk, Warlord, Ranger. All 3 are to some extent mixes or variants of Rogue and Fighter, and it would now be interesting to see how they represent these variants when sneak attack, skill mastery and combat superiority are already defined.

Features & Specialities I don't know.

But be aware - just because something is playtested right now doesn't have to mean it will be in the final product 2 years from now - a lot can still change, but they already have to think how to implement some ideas in the new system even if it won't be part of the first rulebook(s).

slobo777

First Post
Next monsters: Some classic monsters in 6-10 level range. A dragon or two.

I'm really hoping for some underlying logic to monsters as well (i.e. "how we built them"). Although for playtest purposes they can probably hold on that to much later on.

FireLance

Legend
Background: Spanish
Specialty: Inquisitor

Because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition! :p

Also, the Surprise module, the Fear spell, the Ruthless Efficiency and Fanatical Devotion feats, and the addition of Nice Red Uniforms to the equipment list.

gyor

Legend
Lets start with what we already know will be in it.

Levels 1-10

That means default that they'll be more spells, invocations, expanded domains, bloodlines, Pacts, ect... to show abilities gained during levels 6-10. More higher level monsters.

Now on to guessing. I'm going to guess Ranger and Paladin, maybe Barbarian as well. Possible others.

I think will get expanded races, the core 4 are pretty much done. Tiefling (possibly subrace of Planetouched), Gnome, Half-Orc, Half Elf, Elderin (we know Elderin exist because Will Wheaton played one). Dragonborn will be last, to get the breath machanic right. New adventure. New Specialties including battle Rager. New backgrounds. New Domains, Schemes, Bloodlines, Pacts, Fighting styles. Wizard traditions.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I totally did not expect to see the Sorcerer and Warlock added so early, although now I understandy why... So what do you think we'll see in the next iteration of the playtest rules?

I don't know if next update will be major or will be made only by some additions. But here's my semi-serious guess (on additional material, not changes to existing material):

Next classes: Barbarian and Warlord
Next class features: Wizard's schools/traditions, one additional Sorcerer's heritage, one additional Warlock's pact
Next races: probably none for a while, or Half-Orcs
Next skills/bkg: physical skills, maybe an additional background or two
Next feats/specialties: a few non-combat feats e.g. for alchemy, poison-making and animal companions, and related specialties
Next spells: very few or no additions (unless they raise the supported max character level)
Next equipment: scrolls and first small bunch of sample magic items

They expanded the spell list from May to August (including Level 3), and they altered some spells, so I expect expansion and change to happen in October, too. Particularly nice would be more 3.5E stuff for the Wizard. "Message" and "Arcane Mark" might be overkill as cantrips, but they would make nice Level 1 spells with ritual versions. At Level 1, wizards already get 2 of the 3 Enchantment spells from 3.5E, and 3 of the 4 Evocation spalls; but they only have 0 (yes, zero) of the 5 Level 1 Illusion spells from 3.5E, and 1 Level 2 Illusion spell from 3.5E. They need to add some Illusion spells, so I'd like to see Color Spray, Nystul's Magic Aura, and Ventriloquism at Level 1, and Hypnotic Pattern, Invisibility, and Minor Image at Level 2.

I'm glad you're being semi-serious about the Barbarian and Warlord, because I'm not sure those will even end up being classes. (It would be great to see them, though.)

One thing Mearls mentioned a while ago is that he isn't entirely happy with having Sneak Attack as the Rogue's defining schtick, so we might see some new mechanic for the Rogue.

I expect to see a lot more new backgrounds than you do; but I agree about few new races, if any, in October.

Well, if we can take it as granted that we'll see some wizard Traditions, I think Illusion is a shoo-in to be one of them, as it's the only wizard specialty that has been in every version of the game since AD&D.

And that inclines me to think we'll see gnomes as a race, even if no others. What I can't figure out is how, given the way they're doing races, they'll point gnomes towards illusion magic?

Steely_Dan

First Post
I am a bit disappointed that they released the Sorcerer and Warlock before the Bard, Druid, Monk, Paladin and Ranger, but not surprised, they had to pump out some non-Vancian deals before the hysteria got too much, but the Sorcerer (synonym for wizard) has been around since 2000, and the Warlock (synonym for wizard) since, what, 2006 (?), the other classes I mentioned have been part of the game for over 3 decades.

I would prefer overall less classes for 5th Ed, as opposed to 3rd (yikes) and 4th.

Remove ads