D&D 5E I Don't Like Damage On A Miss

The Red King

First Post
Because of the dwarven theme.

A miss should be a &%$#&@ miss. This sort of thing is incredibly detrimental to suspension of disbelief.

You miss!

but you kill the big bad evil guy anyway!

*spit*

If that's their design philosophy permits that kind of idiocy I see little more than failure on the horizon for them.

I agree.

So if you had enough fighters stand around a dragon, they would deal enough "miss" damage that they could kill it in a round or two.

slobo777

First Post
I agree.

So if you had enough fighters stand around a dragon, they would deal enough "miss" damage that they could kill it in a round or two.

Sure, why not, it's exactly the same as if "You have enough first-level Wizards use Magic Missile from 100 feet away, and the dragon will auto-die in one round."

It's a game, not a simulation, the rules are for resolving skirmish combat with a mixed team of heroes. It's very easy to break verisimilitude and/or the game by building up scenarios that the rules cannot possibly deal with.

pemerton

Legend
Ah. I should have said up to 3.5E/Pathfinder. I've read through a portion of, but have not played 4E, and (not justifying it, just showing my perspective) don't include 4E in D&D. That is purely my own perspective!

Actually, it is a telling point, that I didn't include a mechanic from 4E, and shows how one can miss a larger perspective.

Thx!
No worries, and yours isn't the only post I've seen recently that doesn't include 4e in its picture of D&D.

There's nothing wrong with that - I've got no particular horse in the "is it really D&D?" race, and part of why I like 4e is because it's different from some of the earlier versions of D&D that I'm not so fond of.

But what I think it does show - and you bring this out with your refrence to a "larger perspective" - is that building a unity edition can be pretty tricky, because not everyone has the same perspective/conception of what it is that's being unified! My own "perspective gap" is 3E, and especially 3.5/PF. Whereas I've got a pretty good handle on classic D&D, 2nd ed AD&D and 4e.

Remove ads