D&D 5E I Don't Like Damage On A Miss

Empath Negative

First Post
Because of the dwarven theme.

A miss should be a &%$#&@ miss. This sort of thing is incredibly detrimental to suspension of disbelief.

You miss!

but you kill the big bad evil guy anyway!

*spit*

If that's their design philosophy permits that kind of idiocy I see little more than failure on the horizon for them.

Transformer

Explorer
What about the in-game explanation do you find insufficient? Your fighting style is so aggressive that even when you "miss" you still hammer your opponent hard and wear him down some physically. Seems like a perfectly acceptable way of modeling that to me.

variant

Adventurer
What about the in-game explanation do you find insufficient? Your fighting style is so aggressive that even when you "miss" you still hammer your opponent hard and wear him down some physically. Seems like a perfectly acceptable way of modeling that to me.

Yep, I agree. I personally like the Slayer theme and how feats really mean something in 5e.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I Predict Fifth Edition Will Be a Success

...in SPITE of the dwarven theme. :) I agree with you, that it is both overpowered and anti-climatic. But I choose to stay optimistic about it...I believe the game designers will see the error in their ways, and will revise it before the final rules set.

Chin up, bro. This is just the first playtest.

enrious

Actually given that Hit Points don't simply represent physical damage capacity, he doesn't even need to wear down the opponent physically.

He could quite easily be damaging the enemies' will to fight with those close shaves.

But to the OP - try decaf bro.

Empath Negative

First Post

If it was lightning... hey, I could understand. Lightning has an explosion of superheated air around it. That'd do some damage even if you missed.

But this is an axe. And with an axe you either connect or you don't. Because even if this guy is fighting against something WAY out of his league, like a guy that has shingles of adamantium for armor across his entire body and a forcefield to boot... he'll still take damage.

I don't care how aggressive your fighting style is, it wouldn't let you cleave through a guy wearing adamantium armor... even when you miss.

Which is the key here... HE NEVER EVER ACTUALLY MISSES. All of his attacks land according to this ability. He is guarenteed a minimum of x damage per round, so long as he swings. Is he swinging at a bird in a tree? Strength Damage. Is he swinging at a brick wall and STILL missed the brick wall? Well it just shattered.

Sorry, they can do bette rthan this weak ass ability. It breaks disbelief.

Remove ads