D&D 5E I Don't Like Damage On A Miss

enrious

It sounds like he did, and he doesn't agree with those either.

Shame as it's quite "old school".

More than that the ability is created around how hit points are defined, so it'd be like hating a Reeses Peanut Butter cup because it contains peanut butter *and* chocolate.

They sorta go together...

enrious

Hitpoints are an abstraction? And?

Are they meant to be nonsensical? That's what is being argued here.Because if this guy can injure you using a method that no other being in existence can... i.e. hit you, even when he misses you, with a melee weapon... something is gravely wrong.

So....you didn't read what hit points are, as specified in the playtest document.

Question answered.

renau1g

First Post
That's why when I see rules in a book that I don't like... I disbelieve they are there and just don't use them.

But, but, but..... I can't, they... they're in the rules.... what..... AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA]Scanners (1981) Head Explosion Shot - YouTube[/ame]

Ichneumon

First Post
That's why when I see rules in a book that I don't like... I disbelieve they are there and just don't use them.

"I won't stop playing just because I'm bankrupt, dammit!"

In other news, Fifth Edition is doomed to fail because mage hand can't go higher than five feet above ground.

enrious

*sigh* Here we go again, with that same "squishy hit points" argument.

Fine, you want hit points to be abstract. Aces. The fact remains: no matter how you define hit points and damage, at the end of the day, the fighter doesn't even have to roll the dice to see if he manages to kill the big bad evil guy. It's like his action doesn't even matter...no matter what, he gets to win. Call it luck, call it damage, call it "sixth sense" or whatever you want, that is still what it boils down to.

And it's boring. (Or anti-climatic, at best.) They can do better.

Tell me something...did the BBEG get down to around three hp by playing hop-scotch?

Or is it possible that the fighter (and his teamates) did some rather more dramatic things during the "fight"?

Transformer

Explorer
A miss does not mean your axe whiffs and only swings through the air. That wouldn't make any sense because attacks target armor class, and armor is figured into armor class, so at least some of the time a "miss" means hitting your opponent's armor. A guy with this theme wears his opponent down physically even when he doesn't hit as hard as he'd like, because he swings so aggressively.

Likewise, even if a guy is wearing no armor, that doesn't mean "miss = whiff." A guy with a Dex of 16 and no armor has an AC of 13 (I believe). That's 3 points of AC from Dexterity. What are the other 10 points? an abstraction. A "miss" against a such a guy could be him dodging you with his good Dexterity, or it could mean you only nicked him or didn't hit him hard enough to do any real damage or you only gave him a scare. if your fighting style is really aggressive it could mean your only scratching him or winding him or hammering him really did scare him or cause some muscle strain.

Seriously, there's no problem here.

Remove ads