D&D 5E I quit a game. Am I in the wrong? (spoiler, I don't believe so)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I also recently quit a game, but I think mostly because I'm a little over 5e. Hoping that another group gets an OSE game up and running. We have created some PCs, hopefully will see some west marches action.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's OSE and it is in Auckland, but if OSE in Auckland is a specific group then it is a different group of people. This is with a bunch of bar friends, DM loves the books and, having looked through them, I don't blame him.

Main reason I haven't jumped is osr material on shelf unused since 2014.

Barely played 5E as a player on of mah players wants a shot at running.

They apparently got sucked into the Astral Sea and that is why my character cannot return (a DM created scenario, I didn't do that).

After their game he informs me my character has now had his brain sucked out by an Intellect Devour and is inhabited by that (another DM created scenario).

Given that many scenarios are DM created I'm not sure I'm fully understanding your gripe in this particular instance. Were rolls not made by the DM or the other players on behalf of your PC? Is it your contention a PC whose player is not present is immune to affects?

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Main reason I haven't jumped is osr material on shelf unused since 2014.

Barely played 5E as a player on of mah players wants a shot at running.
The cool thing is, much of that osr material is probably able to be used with ose with just a few tweaks. Showed my friend ACKS, most of the classes in those books could easily be converted, we're also probably going to include BECMI and maybe some 2e stuff in the game to round out some of it.

Oofta

Legend
I've left games before for various reasons, it's not an issue to leave a game. Sometimes it's not even anyone's "fault", it's just a mismatch of goals and personalities.

The DM forcing their preference through in-game play is always going to be a red flag for me. Want to change something? Just be up front about it. In this case, if the DM didn't want you having two characters because another player had joined he should have just sat everyone down and discussed it.

Slit518

Adventurer
While I, a forever DM, think the DM was wrong and a DM should pretty much never hold a character hostage, I do think part of the issue was miscommunication.

You mentioned you gave hints, apparently the DM didn't understand them. Because it was clear to you, doesn't mean it was clear to the DM. The best approach is to be crystal clear as soon as possible.
No, he said I have hints and wasn't up front. But this was after he said I never mentioned anything and I told him I did, several times over the weeks.
If hints are things like, "Where is my character? When the heck am I getting him back?" and "I want my character back." I guess I am hinting wrong.

Just an FYI, that sounds like a typical CR 1/4 Troglodyte from the Monster Manual.
Correct, and they have 3 attacks. So 4 of them should be good for a party of 4. But, that is 12 attacks a round vs 4 attacks a round.

They were chosen because they had multiple attacks. Like, what is the scummiest creature I can conjure up for level 1 and have you fight groups of?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
D&D is supposed to be fun. If it's not fun, then you need to do something else.

That said, and as others have mentioned, this is like most things at the table. What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

The DM should not have done this. However, you probably could have avoided this outcome if you had more clearly communicated your strong feelings to the DM earlier in the process. When you let a problem fester, the DM doesn't realize how much of a problem it is for you, and then it becomes a much bigger problem.

We all assume that people know what we are thinking. They don't.

Remove ads