D&D 5E I don't like Dragonborn: Please stay away from D&D Next.

Do you like Dragonborn?

• Yes

Votes: 106 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 68 39.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
This isn't criticism. Criticism is saying that you don't like a particular element. The OP is saying that he's going to take his toys and go home if he doesn't get his way. That's called a TANTRUM.

Except that almost every topic and every post by the OP derides and looks negativly at everything 4th edition. Understandably, 4th editioners are going to be upset. Again, this is not criticism. This is two-faced edition warring, this topic should be locked.

Completely misrepresenting several complex arguments on this forum does not aid your case.

Nobody is having a tantrum here partner. I really think you goofed on your perception of the thread.

Kinak

First Post
Draconians are a race that was created by dark rituals being done on the eggs of the good dragons. Also Draconians are evil. Even their appearance isn't the same.

Dragonborn are a goodly race of dragon like beings that had a civilization and are the progeny of Bahamut.
Is this so hard to change?

Don't get me wrong. I like the draconians' origin story better too. Which is why I'd use it instead. BAM! Playable draconians.

And, unless I'm dropping said draconians into a setting that already has some role for dragonborn, my players would love it. I'm sorry if your players don't agree with you, but that's not the dragonborn's problem. If anything, the fact that they'd champion the dragonborn as written means WotC did something right.

Cheers!
Kinak

ferratus

Adventurer
It's not about perceptions. You are trying to compare Dragonborn to Draconians and I'm afraid you aren't comparing like for like.

Draconians are a race that was created by dark rituals being done on the eggs of the good dragons. Also Draconians are evil. Even their appearance isn't the same.

Dragonborn are a goodly race of dragon like beings that had a civilization and are the progeny of Bahamut.

Listen, I'm a big dragonlance fan. Probably a bigger one than you.

Both dragonborn and draconians are dragon-men that walk upright. People like playing dragon-men, which is why you saw stats for draconian PC's back in the 2e days on dragonlance fan forums.

All the stuff you talk about? Optional fluff text that usually doesn't matter to the type of player that chooses to play a dragonborn/half-dragon/draconian. What usually matters is whether you can play a dragon or dragonesque PC.

You want to kill dragonborn? Introduce full dragons as a PC race that can be played alongside elves, humans and dwarves. Then and only then will you see the last of the dragonborn.

Serendipity

Explorer
I like options. Moreover, dragonborn - in all their illogical glory - are still less onerous to me than the inexplicably tree huggy elves that D&D has always featured. I prefer my elves aloof and eldritch rather than econauts.
I note that as of right now, it's evenly tied. Wouldn't have guessed that.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Listen, I'm a big dragonlance fan. Probably a bigger one than you.

Both dragonborn and draconians are dragon-men that walk upright. People like playing dragon-men, which is why you saw stats for draconian PC's back in the 2e days on dragonlance fan forums.

All the stuff you talk about? Optional fluff text that usually doesn't matter to the type of player that chooses to play a dragonborn/half-dragon/draconian. What usually matters is whether you can play a dragon or dragonesque PC.

You want to kill dragonborn? Introduce full dragons as a PC race that can be played alongside elves, humans and dwarves. Then and only then will you see the last of the dragonborn.

It's not about who is the biggest Dragonlance fan. I've enjoyed Dragonlance since I read Dragons of Autumn Twilight when it first came out and I've never looked back. I can tell you right now that I worshiped Raistlin Majere all day long. I know the difference between a Draconian and a Dragonborn and they are nothing alike.

Draconians have their own story and it's what makes them unique.

Dragonborn have the same thing.

I'm not talking about homebrew games, I am talking about the game as it is written, the default setting of the game.

Now if they made Dragonborn like Draconians then it would be awesome but I still wouldn't want them as a PC race.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Dragonborn represent a very common fantasy/sci-fi archetype - the proud warrior race. From the archetypal perspective, elves are needed too, but I'm not sure about any of the others. Maybe tiefling as the 'touch of evil', but the rest are pretty dispensable.

Mallus

Legend
I have no problems with options but there are just some options that I don't want to be a part of the core.
Then don't use them. Elegant solution is elegant.

It almost becomes harder to tell a player that he can't be a Dragonborn when it's a core race.
I'm not criticizing your preferences, but the above statement is nonsense.

The rules don't give the DM their authority. The consent of the players does.

BobTheNob

First Post
It's not about perceptions. You are trying to compare Dragonborn to Draconians and I'm afraid you aren't comparing like for like.

IT was close enough for me.

None of what you posted here is wrong...and I dont care!!!! I enjoyed them for the reason that they were a close enough faximile of one of my most treasured fantasy images. Cant you let me have that?

Cant you accept that someone has a different position to you? You have to yell "Your perceiving it wrong" and spout some lore at me? Really?

I have never told you how ou should enjoy your game, please please please stop tell me how I should enjoy mine.

Dausuul

Legend
Not voting in the poll, due to the lack of an "I dislike dragonborn, but it's no skin off my nose if other folks like them, so if the price of getting warlocks and warlords in the PHB1 is also having dragonborn, I will gladly pay it and consider it a bargain" option.

Besides, you really wouldn't want to turn me loose on the PHB with license to get rid of races I don't like. By the time I was done, there wouldn't be anything left but humans. Elves, dwarves, halflings--just a bunch of uninspired, half-assed Tolkien retreads crammed into D&D with no rhyme or reason. Kill 'em all, I say.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads