• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I don't like Dragonborn: Please stay away from D&D Next.

Do you like Dragonborn?

• Yes

Votes: 106 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 68 39.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Ever since reading Dragonlance the Draconian(or the "Dragonman") has stood as fantasy staple in my mind. That it was introduced in 4e was an utter delight to me.

LOVE dragonborn and I consider them a fantasy staple. Would hate to see them gone.

Dragonborn are no where close to being like the Draconians of Dragonlance.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't like you. Please stay away from DDN.

I mean, that's basically what you're saying.

Uh, no. It's this sort of inference that leads to a lot of the heat during the edition wars. Criticism of an element of an edition, even a sharp criticism, isn't really a criticism of the people who like that.

That you should get to determine what other people get to find fun in D&D.

Isn't that what everyone critical of anything in these games and advocating for what shouldn't be in the next edition is saying?

Advocate A: No restrictions in Next!
Advocate B: But I find restrictions fun and challenging. Don't tell me how to have fun in D&D!

Advocate Y: No quadratic wizards!
Advocate Z: But I like really powerful wizards and magic. Don't tell me how to have fun in D&D!

The lesson here is to not assume that anything directed at or for the game is intended to be directed at anybody personally.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I wonder how many people see the word "dragonborn," mentally substitute "4th Edition," and then vote accordingly? :erm:
Personally, no: when I see "Dragonborn" I mentally substitute half-dragons from 3e, which I detested. So, a 'no' vote from here. :)

Me? I don't like monstrous races...so I voted "No." I would vote the same way for half-orcs, minotaurs, tieflings, warforged, vampires, werewolves, drow, thri-kreen, etc.
Other than half-orcs, which have earned their place at the table, I'm not a fan. If someone gets a bizarre roll on the race table and hits a monster they're welcome to try playing it - I've had Gnolls, Leprechauns, Drow, a Centaur, Dryad, Sylph, Pixie, a minor Devil, and some horrific crossbreeds among other things as PCs in my games - but I want them to be the rare exception rather than the rule. And when they do crop up their players have to expect the rest of the world to react accordingly - the minor Devil, for example, didn't last ten minutes once the rest of the party realized what it was...

As for including Dragonborn (and Tieflings, and various other quasi-monstrous races) in the first-run PH - I'd prefer not; if only to stop the "it's in the PH therefore I can play it" argument dead in its tracks.

Lan-"but if you try sometimes, you get what you need"-efan

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
ForeverSlayer, I generally like your threads because you tend to offer a more "old-school" point of view, but this thread just came off as silly I read it.

You don't like Dragonborn. You don't want it in the book
Got it.

In the thread you started you had already found a way to deal with something that may be in this next iteration. You have solved this for yourself. Why shouldn't this option be available for people who like Dragonborn and want them to be a part of their game?

This is the internet and you are most definitely entitled to your opinion like anyone else, but as someone who actually enjoys reading many of your posts, I hope you're not more of "that guy". By that I mean, that guy who is entirely against options and ONLY wants an old edition "re-skinned". The purpose of D&DN is to appeal to gamers across all editions. Ideally this is an edition that should appeal to old and new school gamers alike. This is only done by giving options available across many editions. Not by omitting those options entirely.

If I am way off base here then I am sorry. This is not a personal attack.

Oh no need to apologize, I don't take it personally.

I have no problems with options but there are just some options that I don't want to be a part of the core.

I love drow but I don't want drow a part of the core races because I know the inspiration for that is Drizzt. In my opinion drow should be a part of special type campaigns and I feel like Dragonborn should be that as well.

When you make things a part of the core then it changes the way players look at it. It almost becomes harder to tell a player that he can't be a Dragonborn when it's a core race.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I dislike Dragonborn, but I wouldn't say I hate them.

I turn up my nose at them more than truly despise them.

As a PC I wouldn't necessarily try to kill any Dragonborn I saw in the game-world. I just wouldn't dignify them with any sort of response.

Now if they put a playable Orc race in the PHB my nerd rage would know no bounds. That would just be wrong. I could not in good conscience ever adventure alongside a loathsome Orc.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Uh, no. It's this sort of inference that leads to a lot of the heat during the edition wars. Criticism of an element of an edition, even a sharp criticism, isn't really a criticism of the people who like that.

Isn't that what everyone critical of anything in these games and advocating for what shouldn't be in the next edition is saying?

Advocate A: No restrictions in Next!
Advocate B: But I find restrictions fun and challenging. Don't tell me how to have fun in D&D!

Advocate Y: No quadratic wizards!
Advocate Z: But I like really powerful wizards and magic. Don't tell me how to have fun in D&D!

The lesson here is to not assume that anything directed at or for the game is intended to be directed at anybody personally.

I can't give you any XP but you're spot on!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm sure I'm not going to get what I want and I know I can just ignore them in my games if they are in the game but I don't even want the book to waste space on them.
The modular nature of 5E is going to make you nuts. There's going to be a lot of options/wasted space.

That said, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to have Dragonborn, Eladrin and Tieflings in a Nentir Vale sourcebook that included a lot of tactical options to make play more like 4E, but I suspect they won't be dividing up content quite that way.

renau1g

First Post
Well, the question was Do you like Dragonborn? I said no. The question wasn't do I want them in 5e. I would've said yes to that. I don't have to like something to think it good for the game, although it's preferable as a supplement or module or whatever. Same for Drow (stupid Drizzt).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads