I found real studded leather in the Wallace Collection

Thourne

Hero
Well to be fair, most people don't realize this. Same with bicycle helmets and car seats. Ski helmets are designed to be reused even after minor impacts, but should be replaced after any serious impact. It seems wasteful, but I would never buy/accept a used helmet or car seat. They are consumables.
Same goes for most modern body armor, although games completely ignore this.
One impact and replace.

On the “studded leather armor lol” front, I understand that it can be satisfying to roll your eyes at things.
I got frustrated/rolled my eyes in the opposite direction in the mid-late 90s when, whatever forum you were on, there was a slow but steady influx of that 'that guy' that joined, assumed no one else would know this*, tried to use it as evidence of their nerd cred, and were mortified when the response was along the lines of 'you thought this would impress us?' I think I saw 3 or 4 people do this within the first week of joining Dragonsfoot and never showing up again. *and a few others like katanas not being perfect weapons or that longsword usually referred to hand-and-a-half swords instead of what AD&D implied.

EDIT - As an aside, I roll my eyes every time that I see a modern game rate a motorcycle helmet as some form of durable armour. Clearly the designers have never ridden a motorcycle. Yes, a motorcycle helmet is designed to protect you. Once.
Same goes for most modern body armor, although games completely ignore this.
One impact and replace.
Yeah. If the game as a whole doesn't deal with armor degradation or repair as a particularly granular level, it should be unsurprising if it didn't make a specific exception for modern safety gear.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
My question to ChatGPT: "Why do some polearm handles have studs? Please cite your sources."
Chat GPT's answer:
There are several sources that discuss the reasons why some polearm handles have studs. Here are a few examples:
  1. "The Polearm Primer" by Paulus Hector Mair: This historical treatise on polearms, written in the 16th century, mentions the use of studs on the handles of some weapons. Mair explains that the studs serve to improve grip and control, and also notes that they can be used to counterbalance the weight of the weapon.
  2. "The Medieval Poleaxe" by Michael Tinker Pearce: This modern book on historical arms and armor also discusses the use of studs on polearms. Pearce explains that the studs can improve grip and control, as well as provide decorative elements to the weapon.
  3. "Polearms of Paulus Hector Mair" by Jeffrey L. Forgeng: This scholarly work provides an in-depth analysis of Mair's treatise on polearms, and includes a translation of the relevant section on studs. Forgeng notes that Mair emphasizes the importance of grip and control in polearm combat, and suggests that the studs are a way to achieve those goals.
Overall, the use of studs on polearm handles appears to be a common practice throughout history, with functional and decorative purposes.

Remove ads