• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E I get the feeling Paizo isn't worried about Wizards of the Coast.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I don't know what it is, but I get the feeling that Wizards of the Coast are worried about Paizo and Pathfinder, but Paizo isn't worried about Wizards of the Coast. I've never really gotten the impression that Paizo is trying to pull customers away from D&D over to Pathfinder. It's like the company is so comfortable in their own skin that they just continue forward without a care in the world what Wizards does.

Now I could be wrong entirely, but that is the impression I am under.

Zardnaar

Legend
Until the poo hits the fan why worry? WoTC needs to make a great version of D&D to really threaten Paizo and I suspect that fanbase chose 3rd ed a long time ago.

interfactor

First Post
I don't know what it is, but I get the feeling that Wizards of the Coast are worried about Paizo and Pathfinder, but Paizo isn't worried about Wizards of the Coast. I've never really gotten the impression that Paizo is trying to pull customers away from D&D over to Pathfinder. It's like the company is so comfortable in their own skin that they just continue forward without a care in the world what Wizards does.

Now I could be wrong entirely, but that is the impression I am under.

That's a very insightful comment, ForeverSlayer. I agree. Paizo has had to become master (or mistress - if you're reading Lisa) of its own fate. It has seen its market share grow steadily over the years and built up a huge reservoir of goodwill with its fans. Simply put, they are doing things right.

Stormonu

Legend
I get much the same feeling.

I think it's more accurate to say though, that Paizo's Pathfinder somewhat depends on the health of D&D - or at least, until it had gained wide recognition. Paizo is the smaller company and until 4E, it had a 100% customer overlap with WotC (though certainly not the other way around). There's no telling how many Pathfinder players also play and/or played 4E at one time. While there's likely been some drift of Pathfinder players to 4E, I'm betting it's very small compared to the outflow from 4E.

So, for WotC, they've likely been losing customers to Paizo, and that can make them seem antagonistic towards competion. Paizo at this point has had nothing but gain, so there's no ill will towards WotC. The question is, if 5E manages to be huge long-term success, will it draw away players from Pathfinder, and how will Paizo respond?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
The question is, if 5E manages to be huge long-term success, will it draw away players from Pathfinder, and how will Paizo respond?

I honestly don't think Paizo is really worried about 5th edition D&D because it's not like Pathfinder. People play Pathfinder because they are attracted to the D20 system. I don't think there are many players of Pathfinder who are just playing the game and biding their time while Next is being prepared. I'm sure there will be people who take on Next alongside Pathfinder, but I don't think we are going to see a major switch.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Why should they worry? They have their safe haven which lots of gamers are happy with. They keep developing Pathfinder without rocking their boat.

Mearls & Co - or WotC if you prefer - try to change the game with its new incarnation. Regardless of marketing speech like "a game for all D&D players", they hopefully try to design and publish a game fit for the coming years.

Paizo uses the conservative approach, building on the basis of 3e and focusing on keeping their gamers.
WotC takes a more progressive stance.

Hopefully, there's room enough for both approaches and Pathfinder and D&DN will flourish. time will tell.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I also agree with the OP.

Paizo has its game and its market. WotC has a brand but is otherwise going to have to start from scratch, and its brand is tainted by the belief held by many that they cannot do adventures well amongst other weaknesses.

Also, people at Paizo aren't afraid of losing their jobs twice a year. They have to perform - obviously - but they know they're not going to be culled as part of a corporate purge based on salary costs rather than performance. I dare say not having to burn nervous energy worrying about that means that their teams can better focus on doing their jobs.

delericho

Legend
I don't know what it is, but I get the feeling that Wizards of the Coast are worried about Paizo and Pathfinder, but Paizo isn't worried about Wizards of the Coast.

I think you're half right. I agree that Paizo don't appear at all worried about WotC. However, WotC have been very clear that they're not worried about Paizo either, and I see no reason to doubt them.

One key thing to remember is that the two companies are in almost completely different worlds - Paizo's concern is, primarily, about selling subscriptions to Adventure Paths; WotC's is about selling the D&D brand as a whole, of which the D&D TTRPG is only a tiny part.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Forever Slayer, we get it. You think Paizo is great and WotC sucks. Honestly, after all these threads, we've got it. Small rodents on Alpha Centauri get it. Can we please calm down on them now? Thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads