I have d20 Past

jeff37923

First Post
I have some serious doubts about the Minions and Sidekick Feats presented in d20 Past. They both give me the impression of Munchkin Bait. As people get in game experiences with them, I'd like to hear about it.

jaerdaph said:
Complete with the references to D&D-style nonlethal damage that does hit points of damage....

Sigh. :\

The way they keep popping up, it's starting to look like the nonlethal damage rules are becoming a "stealth amendment" to the Modern ruleset. It doesn't bother me too much because I had already houseruled them in, supplementing the KO rules. I like the symmetry to the lethal damage rules that setup provides.

The Shaman

First Post
jaerdaph said:
Complete with the references to D&D-style nonlethal damage that does hit points of damage....
I think the first step in writing a good d20 Modern supplement is to hire authors who know how to play d20 Modern.

:\

Mistakes so egregious are inexcusable.

A couple of things I noticed in d20 Past:
  • I noticed two typos immediately - it's Colt Thunderer, not "Thunder," and I'm not sure what the word "sthens" means.
  • The book includes stats for the LeMat pistol and the Ferguson rifle, insuring that d20 Past has its own equivalents of the FN FiveseveN in terms of munchkin weapons.
  • The range interval for the M3 grease gun is better than the Tommy gun - that doesn't sound right to me as the Thompson has a longer barrel and a better stock.
  • In a book with limited page count, weapons from the core rulebook are repeated here (Colt M1911 pistol, fragmentation grenades, machete) - since you can't use the Past book without the Modern book, this is another waste of space.
  • The M1 Carbine has the same range interval as the M1 Garand? Do the authors understand the concept of a carbine?
  • Reloading a flintlock takes 2 full-round actions? A percussion cap and ball takes the same time to reload as a metallic cartridge? Feh. See Sidewinder: Recoiled if you want to see reloading rules handled correctly.
  • The Winchester M1873 and Spencer rifles do not have box magazines - both have internal magazines. The first box mag Winchester lever-action was the M1895.
:\

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
I think the first step in writing a good d20 Modern supplement is to hire authors who know how to play d20 Modern.

I noticed that range issue with the M3 as well, and I'm not a details guy. That's a poor oversight.

Well, anyhow, regardless of the equipment they chose to stat out, it seems like a decent book. Keep an open mind, Shaman. Not everything can live up to our beloved SR :D

Bobitron

Explorer
:confused: What's the Purchase DC for something valued at around $1 million!?!

I already have time travel dreams about picking up a Bugatti Type 57 Atalante (probably worth about $1m) or an Alfa 8C (current value around $4m) for a DC of 37. :D

Man, it drives me nuts to see what some of these classics sold for back then.

Olive

Explorer
jeff37923 said:
I have some serious doubts about the Minions and Sidekick Feats presented in d20 Past. They both give me the impression of Munchkin Bait. As people get in game experiences with them, I'd like to hear about it.

How do they compare with the henchmen (basically a form of the followers part of the leadership feat from DnD) and sidekick (the cohort part) feats in Blood and Space 2: Merchants, Pirates and Smuglers?

GMSkarka

Explorer
Olive said:
How do they compare with the henchmen (basically a form of the followers part of the leadership feat from DnD) and sidekick (the cohort part) feats in Blood and Space 2: Merchants, Pirates and Smuglers?

I don't have D20 Past, but they sound like the Minions and Sidekick feats from Green Ronin's MUTANTS & MASTERMINDS (which Adamant had already adapted for D20 Modern in our THRILLING TALES pulp line).

Remove ads