D&D General "I have Experienced What I'd Call 'DM Burnout'" (a poll)

True or False: "I have Experienced What I'd Call 'DM Burnout'"

• True.

Votes: 126 84.6%
  • False.

Votes: 23 15.4%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Huh.

It looks like the 2024 edition needs do doubledown on "DM friendly" convenience.
I'm not sure how they can make it more convenient. I mean, the rules are basically "here are the rules, but you can change or ignore the ones you don't like, and make up new ones if you want."

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm not sure how they can make it more convenient. I mean, the rules are basically "here are the rules, you can change or ignore the ones you don't like, and make up new ones if you want."
It's a weird paradox, but despite the players constantly wanting the book to back them up, when the referee does so it's somehow considered bad form. Every time I point to the bit in the book that says I as the referee can change the rules or make new ones, the players tell me they want the RAW or nothing. I've lost several groups to that mindset.

Reynard

Legend
I'm not sure how they can make it more convenient. I mean, the rules are basically "here are the rules, you can change or ignore the ones you don't like, and make up new ones if you want."
Perhaps oddly, for me the best way to make the game more GM friendly is to limit player facing complexities. i have never once been confused or frustrated by a monster ability or a rule for travelling or whatever, but PC class abilities, spells, and feats (especially in combination) are a constant frustration for me. Whether it is because a player doesn't know how their character works, or the player is a min-maxing power gamer, its PC abilities that are the problem. Always.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's a weird paradox, but despite the players constantly wanting the book to back them up, when the referee does so it's somehow considered bad form. Every time I point to the bit in the book that says I as the referee can change the rules or make new ones, the players tell me they want the RAW or nothing. I've lost several groups to that mindset.
Yeah, and it's that mindset that is the problem, IMO. The best you can do is be clear about your expectations and playstyle at the very beginning, and then stick to it for the first few games, until that mindset changes...gradually and peacefully. Changing the rules won't always change that mindset (and even when it does, that change isn't always positive.)

I don't really trust the game devs and publishers to try to change my table's expectations; that should be on me. (I promise that's not meant as criticism; the devs do great work...I just need a line between "what the publishers create" and "what I bring to the table." And 5E makes drawing that line really easy.)

Yaarel

He Mage
I'm not sure how they can make it more convenient. I mean, the rules are basically "here are the rules,
I am referring to a concern I am coming across more often.

5e is super easy for players.

But it is the DMs who are doing the hard work and carrying the load.

In that sense, 5e isnt really a "light" game. It seems like that for players. But the DM is encumbered.

I am hearing that more often.

Now, with DMs mentioning burn-out, maybe 2024 can make help make the game "light" for DMs too.

but you can change or ignore the ones you don't like, and make up new ones if you want."
Heh. You mean even more work for DMs to do?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I am referring to a concern I am coming across more often.

5e is super easy for players.

But it is the DMs who are doing the hard work and carrying the load.

In that sense, 5e isnt really a "light" game. It seems like that for players. But the DM is encumbered.

I am hearing that more often.

Now, with DMs mentioning burn-out, maybe 2024 can make help make the game "light" for DMs too.

Heh. You mean even more work for DMs to do?
When you say the DM is carrying the load, do you mean the prep work? Or is there more to it in your view?

Yaarel

He Mage
Not quite. What I mean is, 5E is as cumbersome as you want it to be.

Exactly. My burnout comes from the system being too complex and the players breaking Wheaton's Law. That's why I nuked my 5E West Marches game. I just got tired of fighting the system to get it to play how I wanted

Yes, please. Cutting the rules by half or more would do wonders to alleviate a lot of my burnout. If we could get it down to 20 or so pages that would be great. Less than 5 pages would be ideal.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's safe to assume I disagree, @Yaarel . I don't consider ignoring/changing the rules to be part of "fighting the system."
To me, that is "using the system as intended." If I want to ignore all but 5 pages of the rules, that is certainly possible and the rules allow it.

I can see your side of the issue, though. Everyone at the table has to be on board for any changes, and that can take a lot of time and effort that not everyone has.

Last edited:

Remove ads