• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have Heroes of Shadows

WalterKovacs

First Post
Just as a little aside:

I thought I'd mention that while the vampire's blood drinker is a No Action power, as is the assassin's strike, the Dread Smite for the Blackguard is a Free Action. [Both Blood Drinker and Dread Smite's extra uses come with the caveat restricts them to 1/turn]

gyor

Legend
At 15 there are two "Avatar" powers. Basically rages for Blackguards. Melee attack, 3[W] damage, half on a miss. A of Slaughter gives you a +4 to damage rolls, and 1/round when you hit you can cleave for 10 necro into another enemy. A of Subjucation gives you +2 to attack rolls, 5 thp at the start of each turn and 1/round as a minor you can deal 5 dmg to an ally to give them 10thp.

At 19 you get smites. These are No Actions that trigger off hitting with an at-will against an adjacent enemy. [BTW, these are just fine for Challadins, they don't reference Strength or Charisma for that matter] Plundering Smite adds 10 necro, plus an additional 10 ongoing necro (s/e), with a -2 to the saves, and you get 10 hp each time the target takes the ongoing damge. Ruinous Smite deals 25 extra damage, knocks the target prone and it can't stand up while you are adjacent to it (s/e). You end up granting c/a until EoNT though.

25 has a choice between Ravenous Shadows and Venemous Infection. The former conjures a sustainable wall of darkness that emits cold/necro damage, and when it appears you make an atack against any in or adjacent to the wall to immobilizes until EoNT, and slides them into the wall if they were adjacent. It is a weapon atack, so no holy symbol necessary. The latter is a weapon attack that deals ongoing acid/poison damage. When the target first becomes bloodies, or dies, it deals auto acid/poison damage in a close blast 3 [you determine direction from the source.]

At 29, there is one option given, Avatar of Vice. 5[w], half on miss. It's effects are that you deal extra necro damage equal to CHA mod, you get 10 thp [or add 5 to the thp you get from the power] when you hit 1/turn, and your dread smite becomes rechargeable :5: :6: when you have none left.

Venomous infection sounds gross. I like it. Actually all the powers sound cool.

Aegeri

First Post
Avatar of Vice sounds like an amazing power in a long difficult level 30 end of game fight. I'm actually trying to think if there is anywhere else that a PC can basically turn a power into a monster like recharge power. I think that's a neat idea and a good mechanic, especially for keeping a long fight like that going.

LordArchaon

Explorer
Avatar of Vice sounds like an amazing power in a long difficult level 30 end of game fight. I'm actually trying to think if there is anywhere else that a PC can basically turn a power into a monster like recharge power. I think that's a neat idea and a good mechanic, especially for keeping a long fight like that going.
And especially for a border-line evil class such as Blackguard! :devil:

LordArchaon

Explorer
Also, you may want to take a look at my Shade Blackguard idea, I've made a blog about it on Wizard's community. It's inspired by this:

servant_of_the_archon_by_majesticchicken-d33w4ur.jpg

... :devil:

Argyle King

Legend
What options are available in the book for someone who doesn't want a 'class on rails?'

I'm the type of guy who regularly multiclasses (even PMCing sometimes,) and likes a bit of freedom in my character design. Speaking of multiclassing, how does it work with some of the new classes?

(To clarify, I'm only vaguely familiar with Essentials, so the 'on rails' comment is mostly based upon reviews given by others and what little I've seen in play.)

WalterKovacs

First Post
What options are available in the book for someone who doesn't want a 'class on rails?'

I'm the type of guy who regularly multiclasses (even PMCing sometimes,) and likes a bit of freedom in my character design. Speaking of multiclassing, how does it work with some of the new classes?

(To clarify, I'm only vaguely familiar with Essentials, so the 'on rails' comment is mostly based upon reviews given by others and what little I've seen in play.)

The vampire and executioner are very much "on rails". They are designed in such a way where the former, as the only version of the class, has no other options outside the book to swap in and the latter, having no at-wills, encounters or dailies with an actual level number, can't take anything but utility powers, feats and paragon paths from the other Assassin. The vampire can multiclass, he does have powers that are swappable (he does get a numberless encounter power, but he also gets one at 3, which is replaced at 17, which can be power swapped for a multiclass power). The executioner is pretty much screwed for multiclassing, he has nothing that would work for power swapping (except utilities).

As far as multiclassing into a class goes, there are no new multiclass feats in the book. The only way "in" to the vampire at the moment is the half-elf feat which let's you count as m/c'ing with the class you got your dilletante power from (as well as making the attack charisma based). This can be nice with the vamp since you can grab the attack that gives Cha mod thp, and then later grab the charisma based dominate dailies.

The blackguard, has his encounter power set in stone, but his dailies and utility powers are all level numbered, so he can freely grab from normal paladin builds if he wanted to. Similarly, paladins get more options to use from the blackguard pool, including at-wills they can take. They can multiclass swap anything, except for encounter powers.

The binder is like the warpriest. It is given a suite of encounter powers based on their pact (as well as their at-will), but their dailies and utilities can choose from anywhere. All the options are available to the original warlock classes (although the at-wills are a bit hard to get with all the warlocks having their at-wills on rails outside of hybrid or human, etc). They can multiclass fully as all the powers have a level.

The death domain warpriest, the gloom pact hexblade and the necro/nethermancer mage are all more of the same from the previous essential book (although the Death domain warpriest is implement based instead of weapon based). Of the Ebook classes, mage and warpriest are the least on rails of any of them.

Basically a mage is pretty much the same as a wizard, but has prefered keywords for spells instead of an implement that may prefer something like save/ends effects. The warpriest has some of his powers picked for him by his domain. The fighter, on the other hand, has no daily powers and is given a single encounter power multiple times, so his only choices are utilities and at-will stances. So the 'on-rails' is refering to classes that assign you powers insead of letting you pick them (like the original warlock did with your at-wills).

As far as multiclassing with essential stuff in general, there is really only the old multiclass feats so far. Some classes can't paragon multiclass (well, they can, but you'll be getting less use out of some of the feats because they won't, for example, have an encounter power or daily power to swap out) but there is supposed to be an feats article this month to address some of that.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The casters. The two Mage builds (schools), Nethermancer & Necromancer, are wide-open choice-wise, you can mix and match thier spells, or use spells from one of the three schools in HotFL. The one Domain for Warpriests given is prettymuch a set of rails, but you're free to swap in power choices from the other two domains in HotFL, so you can jump them with minimal effort.

Remove ads