D&D 5E "I Have...the Power!" - Your Picks for Next Power Source

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
4th Edition's PHB is said to include three "power sources": Arcane, Divine, and Martial. A bunch of us are convinced that subsequent splat books will focus on new power sources.

So I axe you, which power sources do you want to have included in the game? Which one should come out next? I'm running a game inspired by Shinto mythology soon, so I'm pretty keen on seeing a "ki" power source, but I also really, really want psionics ASAP.

Last edited:

Lord Fyre

First Post
Hella_Tellah said:
4th Edition's PHB is said to include three "power sources": Arcane, Divine, and Martial. A bunch of us are convinced that subsequent splat books will focus on new power sources.

So I axe you, which power sources do you want to have included in the game? Which one should come out next? I'm running a game inspired by Shinto mythology soon, so I'm pretty keen on seeing a "ki" power source, but I also really, really want psionics ASAP.

Nuclear? Solar? Geo-Thermal? Bio-Diesel?

Asmor

First Post
Hella_Tellah said:

Psionics I think has pretty much been confirmed.

Truenames seems likely. I'd like to see Elemental powers, based on controlling the forces that make up the world.

Emotional magic could be interesting.

Two things that might step on Divine's toes would be powers based on belief and on oaths.

Klaus

First Post
ZappoHisbane said:
I would guess, simply by past precedent, that psionics will be the next power source out, followed by ki.
According the the more recent fluff from WotC, psionics = ki.

I'd say Psionics, Nature (this is where the Druid comes back), Channeling (think Valenar elves) and Alchemy.

KoshPWNZYou

First Post
We also have 3e precedent for soul energy, aka incarnum. We have binding magic and shadow magic in TOM.

Something artistic possibly? :\ For the Bard and the various creatures that have song powers.

I'd say that Psionics is definitely next, though.

WyzardWhately

First Post
I'd be pretty comfortable with adding psionic and Ki, but after that, I'd think new stuff should be variations on the old one. If psi and arcane are different power sources, rather than different forms of the same thing, it tends to argue in favor of them being transparent to each other. And psi and magic being transparent to each other does cause problems, IMHO.

So, while having Incarnum and Elemental and all that should maybe be part of the game, I'd hope they were still "arcane," or "divine." Or at least non-transparent.

Remove ads