D&D 5E I help to make sure people understand this fea

Is the wording off?

• The wording is fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It needs to be changed as it is not clear.

Votes: 2 100.0%

Dogo

Power of The Pup
I’m making a barbarian subclass and I am asking if the wording is clear about what this feature does. The intention is that the feature allows Shillelagh to work with class features such as Rage and Reckless Attack when the cantrip is cast. Please let me know if the wording is odd, and if so how I should change it.

If your wondering, I have play tested it as much as I could and it functions how I want it to. I just want to make sure the wording makes sense to someone else that reads it so it doesn’t get misunderstood.

Shaman’s Staff
Also at 3rd level you know the Shillelagh cantrip. When you are raging or use a barbarian feature that requires Strength to use, you instead can replace it with Wisdom as long as you have cast Shillelagh.
Additionally, you can cast druid spells you gain from this subclass while you are raging.

Clear enough intent, but inelegant phrasing. Namely I think it might cause confusion over whether the strength based ability checks and strength saving throws you get advantage on while raging now somehow become wisdom based.

The only general barbarian features I think you actually want to make this compatible with are rage damage and reckless attacks. So just call them out specifically Personally I'd go for something more like:

Shaman’s Staff
At 3rd level you learn the Shillelagh cantrip. While this spell is active on a weapon any attacks you make using it based on either your wisdom or strength score count as strength-based attacks for the purpose of qualifying for rage damage bonuses and the Reckless Attack feature.

Spells you learn through this subclass can be both cast and concentrated on while raging.

Dogo

Power of The Pup
Clear enough intent, but inelegant phrasing. Namely I think it might cause confusion over whether the strength based ability checks and strength saving throws you get advantage on while raging now somehow become wisdom based.

The only general barbarian features I think you actually want to make this compatible with are rage damage and reckless attacks. So just call them out specifically Personally I'd go for something more like:

Shaman’s Staff
At 3rd level you learn the Shillelagh cantrip. While this spell is active on a weapon any attacks you make using it based on either your wisdom or strength score count as strength-based attacks for the purpose of qualifying for rage damage bonuses and the Reckless Attack feature.

Spells you learn through this subclass can be both cast and concentrated on while raging.
That makes sense. Changing it now.

MarkB

Legend
Another alternative would be to just give the character bonuses and effects equivalent to the Shillelagh spell to all their attacks. Otherwise it's just something that's going to be competing with Rage for bonus actions when they initially go into combat.

I don't know what your intent is, but you should make it clear one way or the other whether you can not only cast, but also Concentrate, on spells while raging.

It doesn't matter for Shillelagh, but might come up if some other feature or multi-classing gives them access to other druid spells.

Benjamin Olson's wording works fine, but as a practical note, you might want to fiddle with the usual timing. It will take you two rounds before you can start making wisdom-based attacks in rage as it is currently written.

You might want something like:

Shaman’s Staff
At 3rd level you learn the Shillelagh cantrip, and may cast it as part of the bonus action with which you enter Rage. While this spell is active on a weapon any attacks you make using it based on either your wisdom or strength score count as strength-based attacks for the purpose of qualifying for rage damage bonuses and the Reckless Attack feature.

Remove ads