• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just don't get the love for OOTS

JeffB

Legend
:erm:

I've read it a few times, but I'm surprised at how many threads pop up about this cartoon-seems like some of the discussions go on for page after page, people are clamoring to be the first to get a thread started that the latest strip is up (there are always a couple threads at least, one gets closed). I see no such clamor on any of the other D&D websites I frequent re: this cartoon- in fact, no mention whatsoever that I can recall.

I'm not looking to be convinced it's "good", but I'd be interested to hear some rationale about the love/fanboyism (admin note - please don't use derogatory terms if you are honestly interested) for it here on ENWorld.

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you read the comic?

It features interesting protagonsits and antagonists. It mixes humor, D&D and an interesting narrative (complete with twists and surprises.) The characters are just funny looking stick figures, but they still manage to evoke all the emotions we might usually reserve for "real actors".

Some characters are more likeable than others, and people have different opinions. It's a world that follows the D&D rules (mostly), and the characters are aware of that (but they don't have players or DMs). Not merely jokes, but also concepts of the narrative are based on the rules.

The storyline has become more complex over time. Both protagonists and antagonists gained more personality and depth than a stick figure webcomic might expect, and the background of the world has been fleshed out - and is a major motivation for the action now.

Zinovia

Explorer
OOTS is a long-running narrative that won't be appreciated fully without starting at the beginning and following the story. Fans of the comic look forward to each new episode to see how the plot and characters will develop, and they love to talk about it with other fans.

That's much of what goes on on sites like ENWorld - RPG fans sharing their interests. It's often hard, if not impossible, to have these kinds of discussions with coworkers, family, or friends who don't share the hobby. Because people on ENWorld read and talk about OOTS pretty regularly, other people who read the forums become exposed to the comic and read it themselves.

Web comics spread best through word of mouth (or the electronic equivalent thereof). All the discussion here about OOTS and the enthusiasm shown for it by its fans is creating a nice audience of ENWorld members. This is where I heard about it for one, and now I and my older son read the comic regularly.

Perhaps folks on other D&D sites aren't aware of OOTS, or perhaps they don't talk about stuff not directly related to gaming, such as web comics. So why does ENWorld talk about OOTS and other sites don't? Probably because this site has a critical mass of readers that the other sites may lack.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Did you read the first sentence of my post? :hmm:
Maybe the question should have been - did you read the comic, from episode 1 in order?

OOTS episodes don't always work as standalone strips (and often aren't intended to) - but do work as part of an ongoing narrative, which is what people like to talk about in addition to just discussing the jokes and arguing about how they might relate to D&D rules.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OotS appeals to me for two big reasons:

I find the plotline compelling. As Mustrum says, the characters really express emotions quite well, and I want to know what's going to happen to them. And there's really quite a lot going on in the story, so it holds my interest.

Also, it takes me back to reading Calvin & Hobbes as a kid. Rich explores some interesting philosophical ground (even if it is just D&D philosophy) in a humorous way. The art is also simple enough and laid out clearly, so I can follow it (unlike some other D&D-ish webcomics). In that way, it also shares some characteristics with C&H.

Gospog

First Post
I have to agree with Jeffb here. I read the first dozen or so episodes a while back and just could not get into it.

When I tell fans of the series that, their response is always "You should have read more!"

Hmmmm... I didn't really like it, so you think I sould...read more? Ok. :hmm:

I think it's great that so many people (here) are into it and have a place to discuss the strip but yeah, I just don't get it.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Different stuff appeals to different people. I love it, my brother can't get past the "stick figure art" and won't read it.

I like the characterisation, the story, the fun it pokes at RPG tropes in general and D&D rules in particular. I also like the degree of expression which can be delivered through stick figures (surprisingly high) and some of the mass battle scenes with tiny little details realised in them.

ki11erDM

Explorer
:erm:
I see no such clamor on any of the other D&D websites I frequent re: this cartoon- in fact, no mention whatsoever that I can recall.

What web site are you talking about?

As for OOTS. It is (normally) damn funny and has a great story and has a great world and has a great auther. What is not to love? (other than having to read like 5 years of comics to know what is going on)

Remove ads